The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

ADVICE NEEDED: I'm not sure whether should/deserve to be in university

I'm a second year language student in Cardiff uni and last year I suffered with severe anxiety and depression, rendering me unable to face the outside world (let alone lectures).

Now I'm on medication I can say that I feel a whole lot better but I'm still not able to bring myself to go to lectures. The smallest, most menial tasks seem to defeat me. I have missed around 3 weeks worth now and I am feeling extremely guilty.

I still complete all the work assigned at home but I just find it so hard to go to the lectures themselves in order to broaden my understanding. (I teach myself when needed - websites, textbooks etc)

I was just wondering if anyone else is or has been in a similar position to this and whether or not they had any advice. Because at the moment I'm feeling pretty useless and like I shouldn't be here.

Thanks guys,

M
Reply 1
Original post by Mkitty
I'm a second year language student in Cardiff uni and last year I suffered with severe anxiety and depression, rendering me unable to face the outside world (let alone lectures).

Now I'm on medication I can say that I feel a whole lot better but I'm still not able to bring myself to go to lectures. The smallest, most menial tasks seem to defeat me. I have missed around 3 weeks worth now and I am feeling extremely guilty.

I still complete all the work assigned at home but I just find it so hard to go to the lectures themselves in order to broaden my understanding. (I teach myself when needed - websites, textbooks etc)

I was just wondering if anyone else is or has been in a similar position to this and whether or not they had any advice. Because at the moment I'm feeling pretty useless and like I shouldn't be here.

Thanks guys,

M

I think you should seek an advisor because your situation is clearly not looking good. Also why not speak to your teachers to explain to them what you have been going through...i am sure they will understand. If you have friends who go to those lectures why not ask them to record the lectures for you and write down some notes for you....that is what real friends are for. Above all you should have a chat with your parents as these are the people that can support you more than anyone else.
I hope you recover and everything works out well:smile:
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
I suffer from depression, stress and anxiety too. Is there any support you can get from your university? Is it affecting your grades? What your feeling is completely normal for someone with depression (I stayed in bed until 5pm yesterday, so not me :frown: ) and you absolutely do deserve to be there. Your mind is just playing tricks on you. The fact you're still able to complete a lot of the work is a massive achievement.
Reply 3
Did you make friends on your course? Maybe you could go to lectures with them to ease anxiety. As long as you feel you can pass the course you're worth being at uni.
Reply 4
Original post by RachaelBee
I suffer from depression, stress and anxiety too. Is there any support you can get from your university? Is it affecting your grades? What your feeling is completely normal for someone with depression (I stayed in bed until 5pm yesterday, so not me :frown: ) and you absolutely do deserve to be there. Your mind is just playing tricks on you. The fact you're still able to complete a lot of the work is a massive achievement.

RachaelBee,

I'm so sorry to hear that. Please feel free to open up whenever you need to (there is something quite comforting about anonymous help.) Do you find you have missed lectures too?

I think I do need to seek help from my student support team. I will get in touch with them today.

Thank you so much for your reply, it really means a lot more than you can imagine!

Again, please don't hesitate to pop me up for a talk. Having been in the same position I would be more than happy to talk if it means making someone feel better.

T h a n k y o u
Reply 5
Original post by Meduza
Did you make friends on your course? Maybe you could go to lectures with them to ease anxiety. As long as you feel you can pass the course you're worth being at uni.

"As long as you feel you can pass the course you're worth being at uni."

That is one of the most helpful and motivational things anyone has ever advised me. Thank you so much.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending