Non-scientific survey into university discrimination

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Tednol
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hello all, I'm not too sure to what degree certain universities do or do not discriminate either for or against public schools, so just thought I'd see what evidence there may or may not be amongst us!

I'm particularly interested in people who applied to read economics at the following universities, Manchester, Edinburgh, Warwick, UCL, Bristol and Nottingham. I was rejected outright by Warwick, UCL, Bristol and Nottingham, and got offers of ABB from Edinburgh and BBC from Manchester.

For my GCSEs I got 3A*'s, 4A's, 3B's and a C. Was predicted 3A's for my A levels. Got plenty of good stuff in my personal statement, lots of sport for the school and other extra curricular activities.

And I go to public boarding school.

Anyone get offers from the above unis for economics? What GCSE's did you get etc? And where do you go to school?!

I'm just curious. Best of luck everyone.

Ed
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
To be honest I don't really think there is that much discrimination. A few months ago there were all the "shock" headlines and news items about things like "Little Jenna* has 5 A's at A-level, but was rejected by Bristol for medicine", implying that if someone has good grades they have a god-given right to go to whatever University they want to. So why don't they? Because thousands of people all round the country are applying for about 200 places, all of whom have absolute top grades! There's no way Uni's can offer places to everyone who's good enough.

(In response to your post, I go to a normal state college, goy aaaab at AS, and got places at two medical schools and rejected by another two. I'm not fussed about not getting into them, because I know for a fact that there were dozens of other people applying for the same places, with the same if not better grades!)
Phew. All done now.

*Names have been changed to protect identity
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i'm not sure whether there is discrimination or not- i have a friend who got rejected from a cambridge college for medicine- he went to a posh private school (i'm not making a judgeemnt of it- both my brothers went there + it is pretty posh- the head is stuck in the middle ages) he's has 9 A*s at gcse + he got 4 As at A-level, but he had skipped a year + was only just old enough to actually be allowed on the course- so that may have been the reason. he ended up at another college in cambridge.
i know my old school (the girls half of the one above) has released a statement saying that they have had no trouble with discrimination- anyway i'm sorted cos i'v gone to a state 6th form college- so whicheva way they'r discriminating, i'm sorted (i hope)
Tednol
Rep:
?
I can't see there being that much discrimination about, if any. The only possible instance I can see is of girl in my year who is head of school, grade 8 in many instruments, choir girl, straight 13 A*'s and GCSES, 5 A's and AS's etc etc who was rejected from Nottingham without even an interview.

But she is going to Cambridge now anyway!

Ed
Petrozzi
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Tednol
I can't see there being that much discrimination about, if any. The only possible instance I can see is of girl in my year who is head of school, grade 8 in many instruments, choir girl, straight 13 A*'s and GCSES, 5 A's and AS's etc etc who was rejected from Nottingham without even an interview.

But she is going to Cambridge now anyway!

Ed
Interesting topic, I think obviously to some extent Universities will discriminate without knowing. Ideally what I mean by this is that places have already been filled or that Personal Statements and Interviews haven't been sufficient. But when you see students such as the girl you described above as what Educational Establishments quite aptly name "Model Pupils", you have to ask yourself could it be the work of murky politics. Sometimes... and this is not an outright truth, but Universities don't always look for these all-rounder candidates. They look more for a candidate that has a specific scope or focus for that specific subject, and that as long as they aren't a complete introvert they're right for the placement.

My cousin is an Investment Banker and once said to me that the firm she works with looks for graduates with 2:1s. This made me think a little as to what could be gained by picking not an ideal but an able graduate.However one must then define "ideal", the company must have studied that statistically their graduates with 2:1s either perform better or are more well-suited for the job.

To conclude I suppose that you have to take these things with proverbial realistic pinch of salt. If you have your grades and are in denial due to the fact you've been blessed with the priveladge of a public education. Do not ****ing whine if you get rejected from here or there, simply embrace the fact that you will get into a decent University based on your academic merit and are in a much better place than someone working 8 hour shifts in McDonalds.

Regards,
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Petrozzi
To conclude I suppose that you have to take these things with proverbial realistic pinch of salt. If you have your grades and are in denial due to the fact you've been blessed with the priveladge of a public education. Do not ****ing whine if you get rejected from here or there, simply embrace the fact that you will get into a decent University based on your academic merit and are in a much better place than someone working 8 hour shifts in McDonalds.
Hehe, I suppose that's a good way to put it. Don't take things for granted, which is a healthy, positive outlook for life.

Also, it's not about getting into good universities all the time, life's goals do not just end there. Be more "broad" sighted. Career paths are whatever you make after you leave university.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I doubt that there is any discrimination...

A friend of mine got 4 A's at A level and got rejected from all the 4 economics places that you applied for as well. And he goes with me to a private school in the Netherlands where the school fees are 10000 euros per term so i doubt that the unis didnt see the big money there

The school do have a quote to fulfil for international students and probably also have a quota to fulfil for number of private school students/public school students, but i doubt that if the public school student was very very good that they would let him slip!

In fact if it was me then i would imagine that the standard of education at public schools would be lower than at private schools where the teachers get paid more/have greater incentive to come/therefore have more experience, and that therefore if someone with high grades came along to want to study at my uni i would take him/her over the student that went to private school.

My friend also tells me that its very dependent on how well you did in maths. He got a B in GCSE and didnt take it at a A level (although he did get 3 A's) and then got rejected.

Dan
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Oh yeah look what i found....

Bristol to revise admissions policy
Bristol University is to revise its admissions policies next year to make them more transparent in response to claims that it has been discriminating against applicants from private schools in favour of less well qualified pupils from state schools.
Point proven!

Dan

http://education.guardian.co.uk/univ...981338,00.html
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
i go to a prive=ate school ( but don't pay) cos on a government assisted place.
I got 5A's,1A*, B, 2C . . and at a-level i got 4A's. I got 3 offers for medicine and got rejected outright by kings. Only one girl got in to kings for medicine from my college, and she has lower grades than me, that thats not important, cos grades dont matter as much as the personal statement
Alexander
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
I doubt that there is any discrimination...

A friend of mine got 4 A's at A level and got rejected from all the 4 economics places that you applied for as well. And he goes with me to a private school in the Netherlands where the school fees are 10000 euros per term so i doubt that the unis didnt see the big money there

The school do have a quote to fulfil for international students and probably also have a quota to fulfil for number of private school students/public school students, but i doubt that if the public school student was very very good that they would let him slip!

In fact if it was me then i would imagine that the standard of education at public schools would be lower than at private schools where the teachers get paid more/have greater incentive to come/therefore have more experience, and that therefore if someone with high grades came along to want to study at my uni i would take him/her over the student that went to private school.

My friend also tells me that its very dependent on how well you did in maths. He got a B in GCSE and didnt take it at a A level (although he did get 3 A's) and then got rejected.

Dan

I thought A-level Maths was almost essential for economics. Cambridge at least prefers people to have done Further Maths as well.
llama boy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tednol)
For my GCSEs I got 3A*'s, 4A's, 3B's and a C.
Harsh as it sounds, most of those unis probably could have filled their places three times over with people who had much better GCSEs and went to state school.

So possibily a bit of both?
Tednol
Rep:
?
(Original post by Alexander)
I thought A-level Maths was almost essential for economics. Cambridge at least prefers people to have done Further Maths as well.
Depends on the course completely. Cambridge do a very theoretical course, they are more interested in mathematical models than most degree programs. I'm at Manchester doing their BA (Econ) course. I did A level maths and have to do an advanced maths module this year, where as people with AS maths do an intermediate module and people with just GCSE maths do a beginner maths module.

It's swings and round-a-bouts. The BA (Econ) at Manchester programme is in terms of numbers the biggest degree in the country with easily over 500 people. They therefore have the resources to cater for all.
Tednol
Rep:
?
(Original post by llama boy)
Harsh as it sounds, most of those unis probably could have filled their places three times over with people who had much better GCSEs and went to state school.

So possibily a bit of both?
Granted, thats a fair point. But they don't fill their places with people with better GCSEs from state schools.

Just wonder where the misconception comes from that private schools = automatic academic advantage. Because quite simply it's wrong. Not every private school focuses soley on academia.
llama boy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Granted, thats a fair point. But they don't fill their places with people with better GCSEs from state schools.

Just wonder where the misconception comes from that private schools = automatic academic advantage. Because quite simply it's wrong. Not every private school focuses soley on academia.
Indeed. Until my GCSEs I was at an independent school, and our results ranged hugely from mine (which were very similar to your's) to people who got all Bs to people who didn't get anywhere near 5 Cs.
Mark_KK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

I'm just curious. Best of luck everyone.

Ed
Er I am curious, you say you go to public boarding school (Uppingham or Oakham perhaps given your Rutland location) yet below your name it states that you are at Uni in Machester.

I can only conclude that you must be 2 people using one account!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (262)
33.98%
No (509)
66.02%

Watched Threads