ckelly11
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
HI
Currently studying philosophy with the Ontological argument and religious language I'm wondering if there's any tips regarding the subject how to do better in the exam perhaps? Besides the obvious "revise" haha. Thanks
User1333171
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ckelly11)
HI
Currently studying philosophy with the Ontological argument and religious language I'm wondering if there's any tips regarding the subject how to do better in the exam perhaps? Besides the obvious "revise" haha. Thanks
I got myself a revision guide (as I did for all my A level subjects-Oxford Diagram revision for this subject, but other publishers make good guides too). I obviously made sure I learnt all the facts on the relevant pages, because they often appear in revision guides the way you'll have to word them in the exam. As long as you know definitions for different concepts there's always something you can start an exam answer with. In terms of exam technique I relied on doing past papers and getting to know the whole format of the exam paper-it can really help to recall the type of points examiners will be seeing on the answer sheets when they mark your paper, as it can make you more aware of how to structure your question, and what kind of things you should be putting.
lhopper1997
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm also doing this course combined with Luke's Gospel.

The best way to structure the ontological essay in the exam is to go through scholarly contributions chronologically. So the list I used (and got 30/30)

Anselm
Descartes
Leibniz
Malcolm
Plantinga

Then for part B

Gaunilo
Kant
Hume
Dawkins

Due to this easy structure I found the best way to revise the content was with flashcards and memorising the content of each scholars argument then applying it to the specific exam question.

Hope this helps?

Posted from TSR Mobile
IAmEchelon
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm completely screwed in philosophy

Posted from TSR Mobile
lhopper1997
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Whyyy??

Posted from TSR Mobile
lhopper1997
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Do you want me to help?

Posted from TSR Mobile
IAmEchelon
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by lhopper1997)
Do you want me to help?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Please!
I don't understand any of it, and I don't even understand how to write/structure the essays never mind what to put into it

Posted from TSR Mobile
lhopper1997
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Are you doing AS or A2?

Posted from TSR Mobile
IAmEchelon
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Are you doing AS or A2?

Posted from TSR Mobile
A2
I'm doing, ontological, virtue ethics, Religious language(don't get at all!) and I think deontology, haven't got passed R.L because we've started implications

Posted from TSR Mobile
lhopper1997
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hmm I can only really help you with Ontological in depth, I'm doing that, Life after death, and Luke's Gospel

Send me a PM and I can send you some pictures of my flashcards if you like? I could also send you my 30/30 essay?

Anything to help a fellow philosopher

Posted from TSR Mobile
IAmEchelon
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hmm I can only really help you with Ontological in depth, I'm doing that, Life after death, and Luke's Gospel

Send me a PM and I can send you some pictures of my flashcards if you like? I could also send you my 30/30 essay?

Anything to help a fellow philosopher

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you so much!

Does everyone study the same implications texts?

Posted from TSR Mobile
lhopper1997
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No there are a number of different anthologies, I'm doing philosophy of religion! (Ayer, Donovan and Westphal)

Posted from TSR Mobile
IAmEchelon
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No there are a number of different anthologies, I'm doing philosophy of religion! (Ayer, Donovan and Westphal)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Omg! Same! We've only done Ayer so far, still a bit rocky on that
As you can see, philosophy isn't my best subject

Posted from TSR Mobile
lhopper1997
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Haha its an interesting anthology - weve only just started the anthology with Ayer so I'm not too clued up on implications yet

Posted from TSR Mobile
IAmEchelon
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Haha its an interesting anthology - weve only just started the anthology with Ayer so I'm not too clued up on implications yet

Posted from TSR Mobile
I understand what he's saying, but I feel like he just repeats himself in several paragraphs

Posted from TSR Mobile
lhopper1997
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah he does! Basically whatever paragraph comes up in the exam, the essay will be the same 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
theTeddyBearx
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ckelly11)
HI
Hi! I'm a bit late to reply to this thread but have you got any tips yet on how I can get full marks on the ontological argument? Everyone in my class keeps doing model answer essays for the ontological argument and can NEVER get more than a grade B. Now I'm not sure if my teacher is strict or whatever but if you have any A grade answer tips let me know? Please?
hawalovesyou
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by theTeddyBearx)
Hi! I'm a bit late to reply to this thread but have you got any tips yet on how I can get full marks on the ontological argument? Everyone in my class keeps doing model answer essays for the ontological argument and can NEVER get more than a grade B. Now I'm not sure if my teacher is strict or whatever but if you have any A grade answer tips let me know? Please?
I can help you out I did philopsophy last year and I got a B for unit 4 implications
poollllll
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
hi did the ontological argument come up in the edexcel 2014 paper
theTeddyBearx
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by hawalovesyou)
I can help you out I did philopsophy last year and I got a B for unit 4 implications
Did you do ethics for implications? I need model answer essays for J Schneewind, LaFollette and Jamieson? Please I need atleast a B for unit 4 in order to get a solid A overall
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (66)
14.9%
I'm not sure (16)
3.61%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (148)
33.41%
I have already dropped out (8)
1.81%
I'm not a current university student (205)
46.28%

Watched Threads