Why do people procrastinate...?

Watch this thread
inachigeek21
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Someone elaborate on why some people procrastinate!
It just doesn't make any sense at all!
I especially see this among students currently doing their A-levels as they cram all the information in prior to their exam, this is usually two days or a day before the exam. What about GCSEs?
I can understand that A-levels is highly stressful and the workload can be immense, but shouldn't one be revising the material continuously, every single day?
WHY THE PROCRASTINATION?? I'm curious to understand why.
I witnessed the procrastination of A-level students today in the library as they commented and remarked upon their biology exam due tomorrow. But they were chatting away with such nonsense, when really they should have been applying that excess of energy into their work! I find this rather ludicrous.
I was not eavesdropping, the commentary was just loud enough to hear without interference.
Chlorophile
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by inachigeek21)
I especially see this among students currently doing their A-levels as they cram all the information in prior to their exam, this is usually two days or a day before the exam. What about GCSEs?
I can understand that A-levels is highly stressful and the workload can be immense, but shouldn't one be revising the material continuously, every single day?
I witnessed the procrastination of A-level students today in the library as they commented and remarked upon their biology exam due tomorrow. But they were chatting away with such nonsense, when really they should have been applying that excess of energy into their work! I find this rather ludicrous.
I was not eavesdropping, the commentary was just loud enough to hear without interference.
My thought process basically goes "I could do some work now.... or I could look at funny pictures of puppies on Reddit. I'll do the work in 15 minutes". Repeat that process several times and you've instantly wasted an entire afternoon!

tl;dr: Lack of self control.
EloiseStar
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by inachigeek21)
To take a break?
jhpy1024
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I think people procrastinate simply because it's easier than doing what they *should* be doing.
Kaiju
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I mostly procrastinated because I didn't inherently care about the things I was doing.

Contrary to what students are sold, not getting X Y or Z qualifications won't stop you from living out your life.
I just got lucky that I'm the type of person who tends to not need revision anyway.
Ended up with slightly above-average grades which is all you really need to get into a Uni which is where I wanted to be.
saratheawesome
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I procrastinate allllll theeeee timeeeee!! Right now I'm procrastinating by deciding to go on tsr than doing my revision! I don't know why I do it but I guess I just in revising so boring/ stressful/ lots of work that I feel the need to do something else for a while to take my mind of it? My brain unfortunately does not function for long periods at a time therefore procastonating allows my brain to relax for a while!
dina95
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
People procrastinate probably because there is a short-term reward (i.e. funny youtube videos etc) which is easier to achieve rather than doing work to get a long-term reward.
It's how the brain works.
jhpy1024
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Kaiju)
I mostly procrastinated because I didn't inherently care about the things I was doing.

Contrary to what students are sold, not getting X Y or Z qualifications won't stop you from living out your life.
I just got lucky that I'm the type of person who tends to not need revision anyway.
Ended up with slightly above-average grades which is all you really need to get into a Uni which is where I wanted to be.
It depends on what degree you want to do; I'd say the average entry requirements for Computer Science are ABB, which I imagine is quite above average A-level grades.
TheTechN1304
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Because if no one procrastinated, who would use tsr?
Octohedral
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
- Lack of discipline.
- Lack of interest.
- Lack of organisation (not relating 'what I'm doing now' to 'this will make a real difference in the long run').
- Choice of immediate pleasure over long term pleasure.

It's a habit. If you don't have a habit it can be hard to understand why others do, but if you have it, it can be hard to break out of. At the very least you have to sit down, make a plan, and make a conscious effort to follow it until your new habit becomes ingrained. Anyone can do it, but few bother, particularly if they're getting the grades anyway (though these people often get caught out at university).
C0balt
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Low effort high reward

Reward does not literally mean money or anything, in which case revising is far better obviously. But reward in this sense is what your brain perceives as a pleasure.

I think asapscience has a video on why we procrastinate. Check it out....for some productive procrastination
The Science of Procrastination - And How To Manag…: http://youtu.be/1nBwfZZvjKo

Posted from TSR Mobile
loperdoper
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I'm currently on a tab of tsr.
I also have a tab open of twitter, the outhousers (a satirical comic news site) and youtube.
And I've got a google drive tab open. That tab contains an essay question about male representation in Game of Thrones, a topic which I couldn't care less about.

You tell me, which tab is the most interesting one to be on, that takes the least amount of effort to concentrate on?

It's not google drive.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (68)
66.02%
No (26)
25.24%
I didn't use it to prepare (9)
8.74%

Watched Threads