Why are there more photo receptors at the edge of the retina

Watch this thread
emmalav
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Why are there more photo receptors at the edge of the retina closest to the centre of the head compared to the edge closest to the side of the head???? And also why does peripheral vision have reduced visual aquity??
Thanks so much for your help, I have been trying to understand this question for quite a bit now :confused:
donutellme
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by emmalav)
Why are there more photo receptors at the edge of the retina closest to the centre of the head compared to the edge closest to the side of the head???? And also why does peripheral vision have reduced visual aquity??
Thanks so much for your help, I have been trying to understand this question for quite a bit now :confused:
I'm not sure about why there are more receptors towards the centre of the head. It could be because our nose blocks our eyes seeing past it, so we don't really need to pay attention to it, hence fewer photo receptors where the image is formed.

The peripheral vision is what we see outside of what we are focusing on. The fovea is where we can see what we are looking at. This is the point where there are the greatest concentration of photo receptors, in particular cone cells, which detect colour. Outside of this region, our ability to perceive detail falls dramatically. So any image not formed on the fovea is something we see in our peripheral, and in less detail.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (12)
31.58%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (13)
34.21%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
5.26%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (2)
5.26%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (2)
5.26%
I’m starting to consider my university options (6)
15.79%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
2.63%

Watched Threads