The Student Room Group

Self-teaching A2 English Lit

Hi all :smile:

I'm currently on my gap year and although I have a job and have enjoyed going out with friends etc, I've really been missing studying (lame, I know) so I've decided to complete my English Lit A-Level.

I was just wondering if its possible to self-teach the subject, I was going to start today but I found myself at a loss, I had no idea where to start! I've already read the book to be analysed in the course and have also analysed all the poems in the syllabus from last year before I dropped it. Mainly what I need to do is find correlating themes, motifs, characters etc in both pieces of text however I'm more worried about my essay writing, I feel as if I struggle with it and will have no idea if I'm improving or not because I'll feel as if the work I do is right.

Should I get a tutor a couple hours a week for English Lit who will help me, mark my essays, and just give me basic guidance?

Any advice about self-teaching would be greatly appreciated!!
Hi I done the AQA A2 English Lit last year so I can give you some advice. There is plenty plenty of content you can find online to help you along with textbooks like yorknotes which focus and analyse for example The Bloody Chamber/Wuthering Heights or whatever texts you choose in depth. However, I think as the exam is closed book you will need to improve your essay writing skills and portray how well you understand the texts and I think a tutor can help with that ALOT. What I'd personally suggest is you understand the texts and poems in-depth till around december then start planning and writing as many essays centring around different themes etc. There's so much advice and much more but I dont want to bore you. I had a tough time with it last year but got a high B in the coursework and a high C in the exam which I was quite proud of because remembering hundreds of quotes/context I find very tough. Anyways goodluck and make that exam your bitch.
Original post by IneedHelpPlz
Hi I done the AQA A2 English Lit last year so I can give you some advice. There is plenty plenty of content you can find online to help you along with textbooks like yorknotes which focus and analyse for example The Bloody Chamber/Wuthering Heights or whatever texts you choose in depth. However, I think as the exam is closed book you will need to improve your essay writing skills and portray how well you understand the texts and I think a tutor can help with that ALOT. What I'd personally suggest is you understand the texts and poems in-depth till around december then start planning and writing as many essays centring around different themes etc. There's so much advice and much more but I dont want to bore you. I had a tough time with it last year but got a high B in the coursework and a high C in the exam which I was quite proud of because remembering hundreds of quotes/context I find very tough. Anyways goodluck and make that exam your bitch.

I only just saw this!! Thank you for the advice!! I was planning to do exactly as you said so we were thinking along the same lines! :smile:
As I'm retaking all my A2 subjects, I've given myself til Feb to write and understand all my notes for all my subjects then I have a tutor who will help me improve essay writing and I'll continue just writing loads of past papers and questions. Hopefully it'll get me a B or C at least!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IneedHelpPlz

Oh also, please do share more advice! I need as much as I can get!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by farawayfromnowhere
Oh also, please do share more advice! I need as much as I can get!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wish I could really help but I'm doing mine this year also. Essay practice is the main thing I've noticed so far! Quotes can be remembered quite easily but it's just essay practice. Do you have any tips?
I've noticed essay practice is very important too :smile:
My tips would really just be when doing essays, take in to account the mark schemes, the subject specification and make sure to use all the keywords they suggest in it. I think the main thing everyone gets wrong (including myself) is how much examiners take in to account the specification and essay structure so I'd say if you have perfected your knowledge on the subject along with the essay structure, spec and mark schemes, you've got it down pat. :biggrin: Hope that helped.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending