Should the House of Lords be reformed or abolished? Watch

Poll: Reform, abolish or leave the Lords as it is?
Reform (13)
86.67%
Abolish (0)
0%
Leave it as it is (2)
13.33%
Everglow
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Spoiler:
Show

(Original post by Mail Online)
Campaigners argue the need for reform has grown as political parties have packed it with more and more members.

The average age for men in the UK is 38 and women 40, according to the 2011 Census. But the average age in the House of Lords is well over 70.

It means that half the population is aged under 40, and not represented in the upper house of Parliament.

Just 16 per cent of people in the UK is aged over 65, but more than half of the Lords are over 70.

The figures were compiled by Lord Tyler, a former Lib Dem MP and supporter for Lords reform.

Writing for MailOnline, he warned: 'The Lords gets bigger, staler and less legitimate with each passing day.'

While some peers worked hard to improve the nation's law-making, 'there are also quite a lot of mediocre people picking up £300 a day (tax-free!) just for turning up and shuffling off,' he claimed.

'No amount of flummery about what 'noble' Lords they are makes up for it and for a century liberals have been attempting to stop the rot.'
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ple-90-40.html

As we have just entered into Parliament Week, I though it might be interesting to disuss whether or not we think the House of Lords needs reform or even abolition. A few questions to consider:

• Is the House of Lords legitimate if it's an unvoted chamber?
  • Does the increasing age of peers in the Lords mean it's becoming out of touch or isn't representing all demographics and ages in society?
  • Do we actually need a second chamber to the Commons?
  • Should we leave the Lords as it is, reform it, or abolish it?
Kittiara
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I wouldn't abolish it. It's prevented questionable legislation from slipping through unchallenged in the past, and that makes it worth keeping. It would be nice to have a bit more diversity, though, to ensure a wider level of representation. But then, the same is the case for the House of Commons - whilst there's a wider age range there, you don't find too many MPs with, say, a working class background,
Arbolus
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
We already have one elected chamber in Parliament. Having two wouldn't add anything useful to the system. Appointed legislators have as much to offer as elected ones do, and we'd lose that advantage if they stopped being appointed.

I do agree that the Lords could do with some reform, but election is not the way to go. For now, I think the priority is first to cap the numbers, and then to remove the power of Prime Ministers to appoint just about anyone they like, or at least to make appointments subject to the approval of a non-partisan, non-political body. A panel of senior judges might be suitable for such a role.
gladders
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Reluire)
As we have just entered into Parliament Week, I though it might be interesting to disuss whether or not we think the House of Lords needs reform or even abolition. A few questions to consider:

• Is the House of Lords legitimate if it's an unvoted chamber?
  • Of course. It's hardly unusual in this regard - we consider judges to be quite legitimate even though they can rule on the interpretation of law - in the US and Germany, unelected judges can strike down legislation, too.

• Does the increasing age of peers in the Lords mean it's becoming out of touch or isn't representing all demographics and ages in society?
Has the relative youthness (poor word I know!) of the Commons made it more in touch?

• Do we actually need a second chamber to the Commons?
  • Absolutely. The amount of atrociously considered legislation that the Lords processes is incredible.

• Should we leave the Lords as it is, reform it, or abolish it?
  • Reform, but do not elect.
    Jammy Duel
    • Political Ambassador
    Badges: 21
    Rep:
    ?
    Report 5 years ago
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    Teaddict
    Badges: 17
    Rep:
    ?
    Report 5 years ago
    http://www.theconversative.com/comme...ouse-of-lords/
    TurboCretin
    Badges: 19
    Rep:
    ?
    Report 5 years ago
    I have nothing much to add apart from agreement with the above posters. The House of Lords is a useful check against the Commons, and although it may need some reform (I think the designated seats for the clergy and hereditary peers are questionable) abolishing it or electing its members democratically would be a mistake, in my opinion. The Commons are there to represent us - it's in the name. The Lords should be there for their experience and expertise, unencumbered by the short-termist incentives of the electoral cycle.
    william walker
    Badges: 3
    Rep:
    ?
    Report 5 years ago
    I think it should be reformed. That all the Blarite reforms are removed and the house returned to the way it was before. Also the re-establishment of the Church of Ireland and Church of Wales, the rights of appeal be returned to the house of lords.
    DaveSmith99
    Badges: 12
    Rep:
    ?
    Report 5 years ago
    Reformed, fewer seats, PR elections, 10 year terms.
    X

Quick Reply

Attached files
    Replying is easier on our app - Click here to download for FREE!
    Get it on Google Play
    Write a reply...
    Back
    to top
    Latest
    My Feed

See more of what you like on
    The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Today on TSR

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (43)
    32.33%
    No (68)
    51.13%
    Don't know (22)
    16.54%

Watched Threads

Latest
    My Feed