If a new habitable planet is discovered

Watch
GnomeMage
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
And we decide to migrate from earth to the new planet. How will countries and borders be decided on the new planet?

Do we have to go through the middle ages again?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Balloon Baboon
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by GnomeMage)
And we decide to migrate from earth to the new planet. How will countries and borders be decided on the new planet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it would be decided on prior to getting there. Same as choosing who would be going, etc
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why would we want to do that? Surely it would be a much better idea to stabilise our society on earth than to simply trash it and hope for the best on a new planet?
tinyflame
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Mmm,

If that happens I doubt that most people would immigrate initially.

As you expect, probably the richest would be able to afford emigrate there.
And even if the planet was habitable, I don't know if that also entails things like food sources?

What if we can't grow similar food as on Earth?

Of course you can ignore this, if we found a planet almost identical to Earth.

But I would say that it would take a long time for people to even start migrating to a different planet after it's discovered. I'd say it would take about 100-150 years from now until we have fully settled on a different planet with an established government on the new planet and everything.
Balloon Baboon
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Chlorophile)
Why would we want to do that? Surely it would be a much better idea to stabilise our society on earth than to simply trash it and hope for the best on a new planet?

It would. But the thread is about if it was already decided - how would it be planned.
tinyflame
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Definitely,

It would be insane to trash this planet and then desperately try to settle on a different one, while leaving behind all the people who can't afford to move there. Maybe they would offer free travel to reduce the population on the Earth, but I doubt it as it would hurt company's profits..:rolleyes:
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Whoever gets there first and could arm themselves would claim the planet for themselves. Migration would probably not be a problem as most people would migrate to live an easy life or work in one of jobs available (creating a new city for example).
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Whoever gets there first and could arm themselves would claim the planet for themselves. Migration would probably not be a problem as most people would migrate to live an easy life or work in one of jobs available (creating a new city for example).
I'm not entirely sure you've really considered the practicalities of settling a new planet. I don't think it would work how Sci-Fis depict it.
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by nsolma1)
Definitely,

It would be insane to trash this planet and then desperately try to settle on a different one, while leaving behind all the people who can't afford to move there. Maybe they would offer free travel to reduce the population on the Earth, but I doubt it as it would hurt company's profits..:rolleyes:
I just think the basic idea of using a planet until you've exploited all of its resources and then moving onto a new one is desperately sad. That would make us no better than viruses.
tinyflame
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I just think the basic idea of using a planet until you've exploited all of its resources and then moving onto a new one is desperately sad. That would make us no better than viruses.
I agree, if I'm honest I think it's capitalism's fault.
It's solely based on profits, rather than the needs of society.
I don't know what else is driving "infinite growth" at the moment.

If we find a new planet that's habitable, well that's a relief. But at the same time like you said, this planet which gave us life, water, air, food, everything is left damaged and in the dark.
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

If we find a new planet that's habitable, well that's a relief. But at the same time like you said, this planet which gave us life, water, air, food, everything is left damaged and in the dark.
We need to be thankful for capitalism for getting us to where we are today, but we've reached a point where its problems have overtaken its benefits. I think finding a habitable planet would be a wonder for science but I would desperately hope that humans don't decide to move there until they've learned how to manage their own planet.
Balloon Baboon
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Absolutely agree. However, if leaving for a different plant mean saving the Human Race, then it would be worth it.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Capitalism has in many cases secured the needs of society. Plenty of room for such growth left, even in space resources are abundant.

It's unlikely everybody would leave, simply that a few hundred million might.
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Balloon Baboon)
Absolutely agree. However, if leaving for a different plant mean saving the Human Race, then it would be worth it.
I don't believe that we're going to ruin the environment enough to pose an existential threat for ourselves but if we really did manage to screw things up to the extent that humans are no longer capable of living on the surface of our own beautiful planet, do we really deserve another one?
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The why is simple, expansion. Access to resources. Curiosity. Simply because we desire more territory.

I'm not entirely sure you've really considered the practicalities of settling a new planet. I don't think it would work how Sci-Fis depict it.
Clearly it would be a long and difficult slog but if we assume the planet is free of stuff that would kill us then large companies or states would no doubt seek to go creating opportunities.
tinyflame
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
We need to be thankful for capitalism for getting us to where we are today, but we've reached a point where its problems have overtaken its benefits. I think finding a habitable planet would be a wonder for science but I would desperately hope that humans don't decide to move there until they've learned how to manage their own planet.
Honestly I don't want to sound like some "doom and gloom", "things are coming to an end very soon" type of person.

But I agree that capitalism did have immense benefits,but now it's becoming more and more apparent that the system either needs to change, or evolve into a different economic system. But this always needs to be done democratically no matter what, it would be horrible to end up with another Stalin or Hitler taking control over everyone all over again. We need to find a way to prevent tyrants from gaining power.

But of course it would be all the better if we find a way to not destroy this planet, but maintain it for thousands of years to come.
At this rate it almost feels as if we have about 500 more years left on this planet, if we continue in the exact way were going now.

Maybe that's too short of a time, or not, but I'm just guessing.
mikeyd85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You wouldn't have countries.

First off, you'd have to develop a small settlement capable of housing the people who will build the first layers of infrastructure - power systems, gas and water delivery, and data connectivity.

Once there is basic infrastructure created, a small town may be built to increase the population of the planet to maybe several thousand people. These people would have to be carefully selected to give a broad set of skills throughout the community - for example farmers, teachers, medical staff.

Once this small town is self-sufficient, it we be able to expand to accommodate more people with a larger range of skills. At this point I would envisage small, local businesses forming selling produce from local farmers and maybe some home-world imports.

Once the town has expanded, more homes can be built to enable a larger expansion of the new planet. Contractors can be bought in to live as temporary residents to build large-scale infrastructure projects to accommodate city-sized populations.

Within the next 5 to 10 years, I'd expect the first fully populated cities to be on this new planet. These cities would all belong to the same "country". People simply won't survive with borders on a new planet. This kind of project will either be funded by a group of countries working under one allied banner or a private company - there won't be different countries as such.

Fast forward 50 to 500 years and the unified people of the new world will start to defy control from Earth, citing their independence as a reason to form their own government. This world will set up it's own private army and will start a galactic war between the new world and the old one...
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't believe that we're going to ruin the environment enough to pose an existential threat for ourselves but if we really did manage to screw things up to the extent that humans are no longer capable of living on the surface of our own beautiful planet, do we really deserve another one?
Do we deserve another in your example, no. But does right and wrong really dictate our actions in this case, no.

We are a species that only ended imperialism less than a century ago, that is still driven in large parts by greed and power. That still can't even treat humans of a different skin colour or gender equally.

I have no doubt that we would expand given the opportunity and no ethical concerns would stop that.
GnomeMage
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Thats gonna spark a war...on earth. Nations would shoot down each others exploration shuttle outside earth since there are no rules of engagement treaty outside earth.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Balloon Baboon
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Deserve one? Maybe not. Would I hope for one? Absolutely.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (57)
39.86%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (24)
16.78%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (6)
4.2%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (15)
10.49%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (15)
10.49%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (12)
8.39%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (14)
9.79%

Watched Threads