Nikkalus
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
"Compare and contrast the role of memory and place in representations of country, character and voice in the works of Heaney and Trevor."

Hi guys,

So I'm studying Seamus Heaney and William Trevor for my comparative essay, and we've been posed with this question. Trouble is, I don't really understand what the task of the question wants of me.

Some help would be much appreciated
_-_Ella_-_
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Compare = looking at two different things are saying what is similar and what is different
Contrast = when two things are very different
So I think it is basically saying state what is the same and what is different about the role of memory and place and how these effect the representation of country, character and voice.
DeceitfulDove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Make a table to help organise your thinking. Put Heaney and Trevor at the top, half a page each with 3 columns under each name for country, chatacter and voice, with memory and place on your left. Filling this in with quotes and analysis is how I used to start thinking about this type of essay
jamesg2
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Nikkalus)
"Compare and contrast the role of memory and place in representations of country, character and voice in the works of Heaney and Trevor."

Hi guys,

So I'm studying Seamus Heaney and William Trevor for my comparative essay, and we've been posed with this question. Trouble is, I don't really understand what the task of the question wants of me.

Some help would be much appreciated
I do not know William Trevor, however I am familiar with the work of Seamus Heaney. Leaving aside wordage, you need to select from each.

In the case Heaney you have the Mossbawn poems and memory of childhood. In the case of place it is a memory of a time and place gone by.

You have the Protestant/IRA poems. There it is not just memory it is also place as well as society and characters.

You have his family poems.

So you have a lot to select from.

The question suggests that both poets have a similar vision but I imagine there are differences in perspective.

And that is where your conclusion comes into play.

Not knowing your wordage, I would assume 3 to 4 poems by each poet.

Hope that helps.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.1%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (30)
16.39%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (30)
16.39%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (27)
14.75%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (50)
27.32%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.03%

Watched Threads