Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So im almost turning 16, the quiet type. Ive never in my life worn a proper bra except for those kids ones when i was in like yr 7. Ive always worn a sports bra. Is it bad to wear a sports bra?
My mum has recently been pointing out she will take me to get measured for a bra and for some reason im a little nervous. As ive never been to one can someone explain what they do. Do we have to take out top off etc.?
Sorry its stupid question but im very self cautious and dont like doing these sort of things so want to get prepared.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm sure they do it tens of times a day, it's just something you'll have to grin and bear if it embarrasses you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
keturah
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So im almost turning 16, the quiet type. Ive never in my life worn a proper bra except for those kids ones when i was in like yr 7. Ive always worn a sports bra. Is it bad to wear a sports bra?
My mum has recently been pointing out she will take me to get measured for a bra and for some reason im a little nervous. As ive never been to one can someone explain what they do. Do we have to take out top off etc.?
Sorry its stupid question but im very self cautious and dont like doing these sort of things so want to get prepared.
Different makes have differing sizing, so if your nervous about being measured couldn't you just pick out some bras in different sizes and try them on in the changing rooms?
bxthgxlmxrx
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It depends on the shop, but no of course you don't have to take anything off if you don't want to. You will be taken into a quiet private room with the sizing assistant. She may ask you to remove your shirt and even the bra you are currently wearing, although this is not totally necessary and not all sizing assistants will request this. Even though you may feel awkward, there is no shame or embarrassment about it. The assistant has seen hundred of boobs and won't be fazed or immature about it. She will use a tape measure to measure your bust and might ask you to try on some bras to see which are comfortable.
If you don't want to take off your clothes, just say no politely and tell her "I don't feel comfortable with doing that." She can measure you over your top if you prefer this, but it won't be as accurate.
ninaarisa
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
They'll probably measure you whilst you're wearing your top :3 Don't worry
anonymous_2013
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I got measured with my top off. It's better because she could tell right away I was in the wrong size. It's not as uncomfortable as you would think it is.
-Rainbow Drops-
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I got measured with my bra off and its a bit awkward but the assistants done this loads of times before so it won't matter to her. You could just tell her you want to keep your top on, She's not going to make you take your bra off if you Dont feel comfortable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anonymous #2
Report 5 years ago
Hi there, I was in a very similar position

It depends where you go, I think, but I went into daniels with my mum and choose a few bras in a range of likely sizes. I tried them on one at a time, and let the shop assistant have a look- she was able to tell me whether it was a good fit or if a bigger/smaller cup/back size was needed. It was pretty awkward not going to lie, but I was expecting worse, and I wasn't totally topless.

"real bras" are weird tbh. I have 2, but I only where them if I feel in the mood (rarely) or if i am wearing a thin top where you can see the outline of the bra, the rest of the time I still wear sports bra type things
Kabloomybuzz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'd actually recommend not bothering to get measured because measurements are unreliable and sizes differ from shop to shop. You can measure at home to get a rough guide, and then try on various sizes in the shop using the guides here to know what to look for in a well fitting bra.

Use this to get a rough idea of what your size might be and try on bras around that size (one or two sizes either side). Remember, that if your band size goes up your cup size comes down (so if you try something on where the band is too small, but the cup is OK cup size needs to be one smaller with the bigger band size and vice versa)
sansasstark
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I got measured in Debenhams, with my top off but bra on. It's really not a big deal and it's just part of their job, they're not going to remember you or anything!

You can try measuring yourself though - get a tape measure and google which measurements mean which bra size to just figure it out at home.
Rowena96
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I recommend Marks and Spencers, super professional ladies who don't ask you to go down to anything less than a t shirt They're also known for their training which is really important - very few women are actually wearing properly fitting bras and this can cause you all sorts of problems first and foremost discomfort! You will be soooo much more comfortable in a proper bra if it fits you properly. Also if you're getting an underwired bra it's really important to get the right cup size so that the wire ends past the breast tissue - not many women know this. If it pressures the breast tissue I believe it can lead to problems and potentially increase your risk of breast cancer (although I haven't looked this up so it may be a rumour - I include it because I don't take in many rumours so if I have a notion like this stocked away it tends to be from a legit source..)

I also urge you not to feel you have to wear padded and underwired bras if it's more comfortable for you to wear sports bras, soft bras or no bras at all! I have moved away from wearing padded underwired bras in the last year and have been so much more comfortable. I've alo been more comfortable in my appearance as I found that wearing the DD padded bras necessary for the wire positioning created an illusion of big round breasts that I didn't have - very few people have breasts naturally shaped how a padded bra looks. I now look for non-padded non-wired bras like this or this instead or just go braless sometimes! (although I am able to do this comfortably because I don't require much support) Don't let your mum or society in general make you worry about what your underwear looks like if it's doing the job for you
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Rowena96)
I recommend Marks and Spencers, super professional ladies who don't ask you to go down to anything less than a t shirt They're also known for their training which is really important - very few women are actually wearing properly fitting bras and this can cause you all sorts of problems first and foremost discomfort! You will be soooo much more comfortable in a proper bra if it fits you properly. Also if you're getting an underwired bra it's really important to get the right cup size so that the wire ends past the breast tissue - not many women know this. If it pressures the breast tissue I believe it can lead to problems and potentially increase your risk of breast cancer (although I haven't looked this up so it may be a rumour - I include it because I don't take in many rumours so if I have a notion like this stocked away it tends to be from a legit source..)

I also urge you not to feel you have to wear padded and underwired bras if it's more comfortable for you to wear sports bras, soft bras or no bras at all! I have moved away from wearing padded underwired bras in the last year and have been so much more comfortable. I've alo been more comfortable in my appearance as I found that wearing the DD padded bras necessary for the wire positioning created an illusion of big round breasts that I didn't have - very few people have breasts naturally shaped how a padded bra looks. I now look for non-padded non-wired bras like this or this instead or just go braless sometimes! (although I am able to do this comfortably because I don't require much support) Don't let your mum or society in general make you worry about what your underwear looks like if it's doing the job for you

Haha its a bit late i know but i thought i might as well say thanks for the advice and suggestions, they were really helpful xx
tinksyviv
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Don't worry. Even I had the same problem but you will get the hang of it once you start wearing it. And sports bras are normal to wear. I too wore them a lot until I needed a correct one.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (14)
21.54%
I'm not sure (2)
3.08%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (18)
27.69%
I have already dropped out (3)
4.62%
I'm not a current university student (28)
43.08%

Watched Threads