asiya1999
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
my question is how are illness of society presented? ive done one paragraph on racism plz mark and tell me wat to add thanksssssssssss
Klintman
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by asiya1999)
my question is how are illness of society presented? ive done one paragraph on racism plz mark and tell me wat to add thanksssssssssss
Hey. I'm in year 11. I can help.

Mainly societal illness presented in way people who are 'different' are treated - e.g. Crooks, black, has his own room. Lenny - in short, ******ed - looked down upon. Curley's wife - woman - seen as inferior. These people are the weak ones - the people who society pick on, like an illness.

Hope I helped?
asiya1999
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Klintman)
Hey. I'm in year 11. I can help.

Mainly societal illness presented in way people who are 'different' are treated - e.g. Crooks, black, has his own room. Lenny - in short, ******ed - looked down upon. Curley's wife - woman - seen as inferior. These people are the weak ones - the people who society pick on, like an illness.

Hope I helped?

thanks can you roughly giv me a grade on this and how i can improve it
my question is how are ills of society presented ive just done racism for now.

John Steinbeck, the author, uses the character of crooks to represent racism, which was a major ill of society and symbolises the marginalization of the black community occurring at the time in which the novel is set. Crooks is significant as he provides an insight into the reality of the American dream and the feelings of all the ranchers: their loneliness and need for company and human interaction. Crooks got his name from his ‘crooked back’, this suggests he represents something different and isn’t like any average ranch hand. Having a crooked back in this era indicates a disability; however Steinbeck highlights that during the 1930s American society, being black was synonymous of having a disability. Steinbeck illustrates the theme of racism and loneliness through the following, ‘cause I’m black, they play cards in there, but I cant play because I’m black.’ The use of repetition of the phrase ‘I’m black’ indicates that crooks fully acknowledges the reason behind his isolation and has now accepted it .The theme of discrimination is present due to the segregation of the two races. The reader detects this through the use of syntax: ‘black, they’, the structure of this phrase presents two different words to emphasise the segregation of the ‘whites’ from the ‘blacks’. ‘They’, is a
Third-person plural pronoun used when referring to a group of people. They can also be used in reference to people in general where it is not entirely clear who they is referring to. However in this circumstance the pronoun is referring to the ‘whites’ which clearly indicates how blacks were excluded from this group. Also the use of the conjunction ‘but’, illustrates the futility of ‘blacks’ merging with the ‘whites’. The simple adjective ‘black’ connotes unhappiness and sadness which defines the feelings of those whom suffered the unfairness of the 1930s Americas society.
Klintman
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by asiya1999)
thanks can you roughly giv me a grade on this and how i can improve it
my question is how are ills of society presented ive just done racism for now.

John Steinbeck, the author, uses the character of crooks to represent racism, which was a major ill of society and symbolises the marginalization of the black community occurring at the time in which the novel is set. Crooks is significant as he provides an insight into the reality of the American dream and the feelings of all the ranchers: their loneliness and need for company and human interaction. Crooks got his name from his ‘crooked back’, this suggests he represents something different and isn’t like any average ranch hand. Having a crooked back in this era indicates a disability; however Steinbeck highlights that during the 1930s American society, being black was synonymous of having a disability. Steinbeck illustrates the theme of racism and loneliness through the following, ‘cause I’m black, they play cards in there, but I cant play because I’m black.’ The use of repetition of the phrase ‘I’m black’ indicates that crooks fully acknowledges the reason behind his isolation and has now accepted it .The theme of discrimination is present due to the segregation of the two races. The reader detects this through the use of syntax: ‘black, they’, the structure of this phrase presents two different words to emphasise the segregation of the ‘whites’ from the ‘blacks’. ‘They’, is a
Third-person plural pronoun used when referring to a group of people. They can also be used in reference to people in general where it is not entirely clear who they is referring to. However in this circumstance the pronoun is referring to the ‘whites’ which clearly indicates how blacks were excluded from this group. Also the use of the conjunction ‘but’, illustrates the futility of ‘blacks’ merging with the ‘whites’. The simple adjective ‘black’ connotes unhappiness and sadness which defines the feelings of those whom suffered the unfairness of the 1930s Americas society.
I'm no teacher, but it looks good. Did you take on-board my advice?
avi_jmister
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I may be able to help too, im in year 11 and have completed my English controlled assesments: Four A*s and Two As.

It is looking good at the moment, however you need more evidence to back your points up. For example Candy is reffered to as "old rancher" which dehumanises him.

Moreover, Crooks is also reffered to as a "N*gger" which was normal in that era.

Sorry if it wasn't much help, but this bit will definietely help:
Always structure analytical essays as:

PEEL

P = Point
E = Evidence
E = Explanation
L = Link back to your title
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (170)
14.58%
I'm not sure (54)
4.63%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (343)
29.42%
I have already dropped out (35)
3%
I'm not a current university student (564)
48.37%

Watched Threads