asiya1999
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
mark this and what grade pleaseeeeeeee question; how is 1930s society presented.(this is just one paragraph on racism havent finished it)

please give feedback on how to improve it i dont mind if there is alot of negative feedback as i realy need to improve this. give grade also and if my answer relates to question if not how can it relate to quesion plzzzzzz help thanks

John Steinbeck, the author, uses the character of crooks to represent racism, which was a major ill of society and symbolises the marginalization of the black community occurring at the time in which the novel is set. Crooks is significant as he provides an insight into the reality of the American dream and the feelings of all the ranchers: their loneliness and need for company and human interaction. Crooks got his name from his ‘crooked back’, this suggests he represents something different and isn’t like any average ranch hand. Having a crooked back in this era indicates a disability; however Steinbeck highlights that during the 1930s American society, being black was synonymous of having a disability. Steinbeck illustrates the theme of racism and loneliness through the following, ‘cause I’m black, they play cards in there, but I cant play because I’m black.’ The use of repetition of the phrase ‘I’m black’ indicates that crooks fully acknowledges the reason behind his isolation and has now accepted it .The theme of discrimination is present due to the segregation of the two races. The reader detects this through the use of syntax: ‘black, they’, the structure of this phrase presents two different words to emphasise the segregation of the ‘whites’ from the ‘blacks’. ‘They’, is a
Third-person plural pronoun used when referring to a group of people. They can also be used in reference to people in general where it is not entirely clear who they is referring to. However in this circumstance the pronoun is referring to the ‘whites’ which clearly indicates how blacks were excluded from this group. Also the use of the conjunction ‘but’, illustrates the futility of ‘blacks’ merging with the ‘whites’. The simple adjective ‘black’ connotes unhappiness and sadness which defines the feelings of those whom suffered the unfairness of the 1930s Americas society.
MasonNao68
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by asiya1999)
how is 1930s society presented.(this is just one paragraph on racism havent finished it)

John Steinbeck, the author, uses the character of crooks to represent racism, which was a major ill of society and symbolises the marginalization of the black community occurring at the time in which the novel is set. Crooks is significant as he provides an insight into the reality of the American dream and the feelings of all the ranchers: their loneliness and need for company and human interaction. Crooks got his name from his ‘crooked back’, this suggests he represents something different and isn’t like any average ranch hand. Having a crooked back in this era indicates a disability; however Steinbeck highlights that during the 1930s American society, being black was synonymous of having a disability. Steinbeck illustrates the theme of racism and loneliness through the following, ‘cause I’m black, they play cards in there, but I cant play because I’m black.’ The use of repetition of the phrase ‘I’m black’ indicates that crooks fully acknowledges the reason behind his isolation and has now accepted it .The theme of discrimination is present due to the segregation of the two races. The reader detects this through the use of syntax: ‘black, they’, the structure of this phrase presents two different words to emphasise the segregation of the ‘whites’ from the ‘blacks’. ‘They’, is a
Third-person plural pronoun used when referring to a group of people. They can also be used in reference to people in general where it is not entirely clear who they is referring to. However in this circumstance the pronoun is referring to the ‘whites’ which clearly indicates how blacks were excluded from this group. Also the use of the conjunction ‘but’, illustrates the futility of ‘blacks’ merging with the ‘whites’. The simple adjective ‘black’ connotes unhappiness and sadness which defines the feelings of those whom suffered the unfairness of the 1930s Americas society.

Hey, you've got really good ideas, just make sure you're making the right points in the right places and always capitalize "Crooks." Also I would perhaps say Steinbeck uses Crooks' character to explore racism in this era, as oppose to represent it and take out any parts that are not directly about racism as you're trying to cover too many points in one paragraph (e.g. American dream.) These are all really strong points so separate them then you can develop your ideas further. You definitely know the novel well and seem like you know what you're talking about, just little bits to tidy up I guess? Hope that helps
icecreamcone
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by asiya1999)
mark this and what grade pleaseeeeeeee question; how is 1930s society presented.(this is just one paragraph on racism havent finished it)

please give feedback on how to improve it i dont mind if there is alot of negative feedback as i realy need to improve this. give grade also and if my answer relates to question if not how can it relate to quesion plzzzzzz help thanks

Very good ideas but it doesn't flow. You should make so when the examiner reads it, they do it for pleasure not because they have to. Engage the reader.
Write a lot about a little because it seems to me that you have added a lot of different ideas in one paragraph, whereas you can take one word and write the whole paragraoh on it.
What is your question? I did my assessment on Curley's Wife and how sympathy and disklike for her are created throughout the novella; I haven't gotten it back yet so I can't say anything
Pay more attention to capitalisation and quotation
In the opening of chapter 4 (I think it was 4), where Steinbeck describes Crooks' room, you can talk about the 'tattered dictionary'. 'Tattered' shows that he's been using it a lot, because he wants to feel a bit of power of those of the whites who are illiterate. He wants to be smarter. He also has a lot of possessions, which again shows that he wants to feel superior. He has 4 pairs of shoes, whereas most of the guys on the ranch just change them when they aren't in condition anymore
asiya1999
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by icecreamcone)
Very good ideas but it doesn't flow. You should make so when the examiner reads it, they do it for pleasure not because they have to. Engage the reader.
Write a lot about a little because it seems to me that you have added a lot of different ideas in one paragraph, whereas you can take one word and write the whole paragraoh on it.
What is your question? I did my assessment on Curley's Wife and how sympathy and disklike for her are created throughout the novella; I haven't gotten it back yet so I can't say anything
Pay more attention to capitalisation and quotation
In the opening of chapter 4 (I think it was 4), where Steinbeck describes Crooks' room, you can talk about the 'tattered dictionary'. 'Tattered' shows that he's been using it a lot, because he wants to feel a bit of power of those of the whites who are illiterate. He wants to be smarter. He also has a lot of possessions, which again shows that he wants to feel superior. He has 4 pairs of shoes, whereas most of the guys on the ranch just change them when they aren't in condition anymore

thanks this was really usefulmy question is how is the 1930s society presented???

heres my paragraph on sexism

Sexism

In John Steinbeck’s novella ‘Of Mice and Men’, Steinbeck tackles many issues faced by people in the 1930s. Sexism is one of the main themes displayed during the 1930s American society. The novelist, john Steinbeck uses different methods to illustrate women and how they were perceived by society through the antagonist curelys wife; whom suffered a great deal of discrimination due to her gender. In the novella curelys wife is first introduced through rumours from the ‘swamper’, whom describes her from his personal perspective, this gives the reader a biased opinion of curelys wife before she even enters the section, ‘she got the eye’, explaining that she is flirtatious and flirts with the other men which is ironic as it is mentioned immediately after her marriage to Curely. ’....Married two weeks ago and got the eye?’, the purpose of the question mark clarifies that this phrase is a rhetorical question ,which is a figure of speech in the form of a question that is asked in order to make a point, rather than to elicit an answer. The writer’s purpose behind this is to give a negative image of what women were like in the 1930s society. The reader is also introduced to the idea that curelys wife is a ‘tart’ which is strengthened upon her first appearance. ’…red cotton house dress’ and a pair of mules decorated with ‘bouquets of red ostrich feathers.’ The colour ‘red’ is expressed repeatedly emphasising her sexual presence often referring to love and danger. Her dress code is ironic as she is living on a farm and unnecessary to be dressed up, however Curelys wife feels as if dressing the way she does is the only way to get noticed and the attention she craves from others. Women in the 1930s American society were seen as items used only for sexual purposes and were judged according to their looks, ‘…heavily made up.’ This illustrates her insecurity and how she is hiding her inner self; the makeup covers her and leaves her no sign of identity. This is also reinforced through the apostrophe of possession in her name that Steinbeck has given her, ‘curely’s wife’, which exemplifies that she belongs to curely just like his ‘horse’, ‘hat’ and ‘handgun’. This symbolises the male oppression in 1930s America. Women were seen as the possession of their husbands and had no rights of their own. John Steinbeck gives the reader an image of what life was like for women during that era and places the men in the ranch in the position of how the men treated the women at that time. The ranchmen have Labelled curelys wife a ‘tramp’, ‘*****’, ‘rattrap’ and ‘tart’ along with other sexist, derogatory terms which were considered to be normal labels for the women during the corrupt, sexist 1930s American society.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (95)
13.91%
I'm not sure (32)
4.69%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (214)
31.33%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.34%
I'm not a current university student (326)
47.73%

Watched Threads