A-Levels Mock Exams Thread (2014 - 2015)

Watch
suzywithaZY
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
There's a GCSE one of these, so I thought I'd do the same for those of us doing AS/A2.
Mocks are in about a month and a half (or just over)- What are you guys doing to prepare? And what subjects do you do?

I've currently not done anything in terms of revision, because there's really not much for me to go over. I do triple science and double maths, so it's mainly just understanding facts which I do in class. Will probably start revising over christmas
Miladrises
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Batman
rosebud114
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have mine before Christmas so aren't you a lucky pickle! I do English,History and Chemistry. Chemistry as you said is just facts which I understand in class too. I just need practice on application so past paper questions are the answer to that! History is the one I actually need to sit down and organise events in detail....and practise structure... So hours of revision for that is needed :/ and English I am going to slightly wing it but not really lol. I find English the easiest so I am just going to do the normal amount of revision for that but revise harder for the other two.
Teeahz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by thechemistress)
There's a GCSE one of these, so I thought I'd do the same for those of us doing AS/A2.
Mocks are in about a month and a half (or just over)- What are you guys doing to prepare? And what subjects do you do?

I've currently not done anything in terms of revision, because there's really not much for me to go over. I do triple science and double maths, so it's mainly just understanding facts which I do in class. Will probably start revising over christmas
I have kind of been revising as i go. I have been making mindmaps and revision cards after I have finished each unit. So when it comes to xmas i will make sure that all of my notes are completed and then do essay plans and timed essays.

I dont really have a solid revision technique, I kind of try loads of things and hope that they work!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nat_LPS
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
doing chem, phys and further maths, just commenting because i don't want to think about revision. Weird.
Seriously though, richard thornley's videos on youtube are great for chem revision, some biology too. lots of good ways to remember all of it. Anyone have any physics revision suggestions? The AQA multiple choice exam is the work of the devil. AK lectures (videos) are great really clear for maths mechanics, phys and chem. Something tells me i'll be painting at least one of my bedroom walls the colour of 'organic chemistry' soon.
I've revived the 'paint' application on my computer rather than writing on paper it's really useful and much easier i find to make sort of revision 'slides'. and they're all kept together, tis great, i recommend trying it.
Good luck people.
underestimate
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My college has already had their AS mocks two weeks ago the start of term, we are having other ones in January.
Alchemise
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Aiming for 4As (AS)

Looks like no Christmas for me lol
Bruno26
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've already had a mock for Biology A2 and going to have another one before Christmas. I'm also having one for Psychology, whilst English Literature will be around February. To prepare for Biology, queue cards and re-writing notes down and also past papers. For Psychology, re-writing essays down in attempt to memorize information in the essays
Feraligatr
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Notes
Edminzodo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My mocks are in March . . .

Posted from TSR Mobile
suzywithaZY
Rep:
?
(Original post by Edminzodo)

Posted from TSR Mobile
March?! Wow, that's so late!
GoldGhost
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Woah that's late!

In terms of content where is everybody up to? I've just finished C1 in maths and 3/11 topics on C2. I have done the equivalent on 1 out of the 2 units in biology, as well as that in chemistry. In Philosophy and Ethics I don't know how much we've done content wise but this is the best department in school and the teacher says we are moving quite quickly.
blondelocks
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
People are already working for mocks!?
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by blondelocks)
Most school do them at the start of December.

The earlier you start practicing for them, the better you'll do in the mocks and on the real one; which I regretted not doing it last year.
JustBeing
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Our mocks are in January after the xmas holidays, I've been revising biology since the start (A2) and I am just starting to revise psychology but for History we're doing coursework so probably we'll have a late mock for that when we start our exam unit
I'm also re-sitting Unit 2 Biology and History (AS), so I have to revise for those mocks too, I don't know when the history one will be
icecreamcake
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mine are February/March too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
ToLiveInADream
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
English, biology, chemistry & maths.

English and chemistry so far are definitely the easiest. English requires practically no revision at all as I get essays set routinely anyway that are marked which sort of acts as 'revision'? For chemistry, it's easy because the equation bits are really easy to remember and work out.

Biology has a lot of content but isn't too hard, it's just picking the words out properly! Maths is okay..I just make dumb mistakes.

My mocks are in Jan :eek:
ToLiveInADream
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by blondelocks)
Lol, nah. I think most people (for Jan mocks, at least) start in the xmas holidays.
usycool1
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Report 5 years ago
Good luck with your mocks, people. I hope they go well.
suzywithaZY
Rep:
?
(Original post by GoldGhost)
Woah that's late!

In terms of content where is everybody up to? I've just finished C1 in maths and 3/11 topics on C2. I have done the equivalent on 1 out of the 2 units in biology, as well as that in chemistry. In Philosophy and Ethics I don't know how much we've done content wise but this is the best department in school and the teacher says we are moving quite quickly.
Don't really know about my others, but in maths we've finished M1, 3/4 through S1, halfway through C1/C2 and just syarted C3/C4
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (189)
29.3%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.43%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.99%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.37%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.91%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.84%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.89%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.26%

Watched Threads