a short survey about types of music you listen to (please answer)

Watch this thread
kayla_54
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I like rock music (the beatles, led zeppelin, jimi hendrix, the eagles and more). Those bands are really popular and have amazing musics but funny thing is none of my closest friends or people I associate alot with listen to them. I bet they have never even heard of led zeppelin. I am just so fed up for not having someone with a similar music taste I tried listening to supposedly "normal nice songs" that's playing on radiostations nowadays but honestly, it's like only 1% of those songs are bearable. The rest are plain torture to my ears.

I am feeling curious about the few questions below so please do answer them.

1) what type of music do you listen to? (Genre and examples)
2) do your friends have similar music taste?
3) is rock music popular among your friends?
4) do you connect through music with your friends ?(inform them about nice songs/ enjoy listening to music on each other's device)
5) how old are you? Are you currently working or studying?
chickensthatfly
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
hi, i'm 19, currently studying and i like slightly non-mainstream music or maybe music you wont be listening to at your top local radio station.

eg: 1975, glass animals, the killers, jem

well rock music genre isn't exactly popular amongst my friends. Some guy friends (normally drummers) love em tho
StarvingAutist
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by kayla_54)
4) do you connect through music with your friends ?(inform them about nice songs/ enjoy listening to music on each other's device)
1)
- Folk (mostly the European instrumental kind)
e.g. Session A9, Kan, Duo Tange-Coudroy, Väsen, Flook
- Psychedelic/ stoner rock
e.g. Colour Haze, The Heads, Comets on Fire, Acid Mothers Temple, Causa Sui
- Emo (Midwest emo, twinkly, skramz, revival stuff)
e.g. The Van Pelt, American Football, Saudade, i hate myself, Bunkbed, Uranium 9 Volt, Sinaloa, Foxing, Nuzzle, Step Softly Ghost, The Dying Californian
- Noise, Slowcore, Noise Rock
e.g. Genocide Organ, Lowercase, Young Widows, Tim Hecker
- Classical, Baroque, Romantic
e.g. Dvořák, Brahms, Rossini, Bach, Vivaldi, Bartók, Pärt, Bruch
- Hip hop
e.g. Blockhead, Busdriver, Subtle, Eminem, Wordsworth, Doseone, Blindspot
- Psytrance, psybient
e.g. Hallucinogen, Infected Mushroom, 1200 Micrograms, Globular, Ekoplex, Kurbeats/Yggdrasil, Shpongle

2) No, but I do have a few folkie friends that I met at folk festivals etc.
3) Yes
4) No
5) 17, in year 13
EmmaL.AM
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
1) What type of music do you listen to? (Genre and examples) I'm really vast with my music taste. I listen to most genres besides modern Pop and R&B. I don't listen to country or western either. Some of my favourite bands/artists are The XX, London Grammar, Arctic Monkeys, Asking Alexandria, Sleeping with Sirens, Slipknot, Pierce the Veil, Ed Sheeran, Marina and the Diamonds and Lana del Rey. Anything with a good beat to get you moving or good lyrics!
2) Do your friends have similar music taste? Yeah, one of my best friends is as controversial as me and the other likes the same Hardcore bands.
3) Is rock music popular among your friends? Yeah, most of my friends like some genre of rock. Some like modern 'rock' bands that I wouldn't even consider to be anything besides pop, but I won't name any bands.
4) Do you connect through music with your friends ?(inform them about nice songs/ enjoy listening to music on each other's device? Yeah, it connects me with friends of all ages, from my age to in their 30s! I think music can really be powerful with friendships and love because it allows you to get to know the person and what means a lot to them.
5) How old are you? Are you currently working or studying? ​16 and studying.
metalthrashin'mad
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
1) what type of music do you listen to? metal, grindcore, shoegaze, classical, drone, ambient, trip-hop mostly, but a lot of artists that defy genre such as The Gathering. I try not to have in my head that I prefer some genres to others as I'll give anything a go, submissions I get for reviews from my site range from alternative hip-hop, to freely improvized Classical Indian/Jazz to modern classical to harsh noise to death metal and more. Give it all a go, like a lot of it.
2) do your friends have similar music taste? Some do, some don't, doesn't really matter
3) is rock music popular among your friends? Again, among some, not among others
4) do you connect through music with your friends ? Those who are interested a lot in music I'll share things with regardless of genre becayse those are openminded people, those who aren't, and will only listen to chart music and don't like to anything remotely new, no
5) how old are you? Are you currently working or studying? 22, working full time while spending most of my free time either listening to music, writing about music at swirlsofnoise.com, or going to see music be made.
Buxtonwater
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
1) I listen to everything (apart from drum and bass) for example at the moment I'm really into Imagine dragons, Ed Sheeran, Blink 182, Eminem and Frank Turner.
2) I have friends that like some of the same music as me but no friends that like such a large variety of music.
3) Rock music is fairly popular, it varies depending on the individual.
4) We don't often connect through music, I have done with a few of my friends and my friends and I often sing along with songs we like on car journeys but that's about it.
5)17, studying for my A levels and I'm planning on going to university to study law next year.
Manitude
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I'll try and keep it brief:
-Black metal (e.g. Winterfylleth, Fen, Wodensthrone, Symbel)
-Blackened folk metal (e.g. Askival, Arsaidh/Saor, Cnoc An Tursa, Herne, Forefather)
-Folk metal (e.g. Equilibrium, Alestorm, Turisas etc. Also used to listen to Korpiklaani, Ensiferum and Finntroll a lot)
-Progressive rock (e.g. Genesis, Camel, some Opeth)
-1970s folk revival (e.g. Steeleye Span, Pentangle, Fairport Convention et al)

Some of them like some of the music I like, yes. I've introduce a lot of people to Saor and Winterfylleth and they can't get enough of it

I was a member of a rock and metal society for four years, so yes.

I frequently send youtube links to friends over facebook if I think they'll enjoy it and I don't think they already know it.

22. NEET.
Viceroy
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Classical music (Schubert, Schumann, Brahms, etc.), classic rock (Beatles, Stones, etc.), a bit of popular music (Macklemore, etc.).

Yes.

Not sure.

4) do you connect through music with your friends ? (inform them about nice songs/ enjoy listening to music on each other's device)
Yes, sometimes.

Early 20's. In uni.
purplelamp
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
1) what type of music do you listen to?
Anything except 'modern' songs, R&B, Rap, Western or Folk.
Favorites are Aerosmith, Bon Jovi, Richie Sambora, Guns n Roses etc

Boyfriend does, he's introduced me to others too like Pink Floyd, ELO etc

Nope not really. They listen to more modern songs like the ones on R1, I prefer R2 and PlanetRock

4) do you connect through music with your friends ?
Again, only with the boyfriend as we have very similar tastes, for example if I hear a song he might like on spotify I'll send him the link and vice versa

18, studying

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (67)
65.69%
No (26)
25.49%
I didn't use it to prepare (9)
8.82%

Watched Threads