Help improving French? (A-level)

Watch this thread
username1068454
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
[And AS retakes]

Hey!
So, I got a D in my French AS but it's a subject that I want to do at university and despite planning on retaking it, my teachers are predicting me a C, whereas, ideally, once I sit my retake I'm aiming to achieve a B or, if at all possible, an A overall..

And one of my two French teachers think that I wouldn't be able to do it and has told me such in no uncertain terms, but well, I'm definitely willing to prove them wrong.

So, I was wondering if anyone had any tips for (drastically) improving my French in time for my January mocks or at least before the June exam??

Particularly in improving the accuracy of my written French as that's something that I seem to struggle most with?
(I received high marks in the listening and reading portions of my AS exam, but it was the essay that let me down..)

Thank you so much in advance for any advice!
L'Evil Fish
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
Grammar grammar grammar.

La grammaire est essentielle.

Selon moi, après que tu l'as appris, toutes les choses seront bien.

Mais si tu ne l'apprends pas, je ne pense pas que ce soit possible de réussir (actually that's a lie, depends on your definition of success)
Pollllllllllllly
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Watch French series! The Returned (les revenants) is really good! and practice speaking - I often just walk round my house speaking french to myself
AquariFairy
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Do you keep a diary or journal? If so write that in french, and maybe ask your teacher to check the grammar if you don't mind them reading it? also when talking to other members in your class on facebook/text etc. talk to them in french, it will make writing become more natural!
username1068454
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Thank you so much for the advice!

I've bought the text book 'Action Grammaire' to help me with that aspect of things but I'm very much taking all suggestions into account! e.g. I'm looking into French movies, series, literature etc. As well as taking to writing in French more often to practice as well.

Merci!
mica-lwe
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I'm doing the same, I got a C at AS level and I'm re-sitting that because I need at least a B (preferably an A), what exam board are you doing? And can anyone suggest how much time outside of lessons would be needed to pull my grade up?
AquariFairy
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by mica-lwe)
I'm doing the same, I got a C at AS level and I'm re-sitting that because I need at least a B (preferably an A), what exam board are you doing? And can anyone suggest how much time outside of lessons would be needed to pull my grade up?
I too got a C and would like an A, I have a tutor outside of school to help with AS topics for my resit. If you're dedicated then easily spare half an hour a day, create a vocab list and learn a page a week and revise a grammar topic a week
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (18)
22.5%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (10)
12.5%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
5%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (12)
15%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (17)
21.25%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
23.75%

Watched Threads