The Student Room Group

A devastated father takes to Facebook with a blunt message after his son dies of OD

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Captain Haddock
The drug that killed him is legal anyway and available over the counter.
Like paracetamol or aspirin?
Original post by Balloon Baboon
And this is why we should never legalise drugs.

Dextromethorphan (the drug it is implied he died from) is legal.
The drug that killed him is legal anyway and available over the counter.

Which makes my analogy all the stronger. Just as gun-nuts in America have called for more guns in response to school shootings with legally bought weapons, people in this thread are somehow using an OD on a legal drug to call for wider legalisation of drugs. It's completely nonsensical.
Original post by paddyman4
Which makes my analogy all the stronger. Just as gun-nuts in America have called for more guns in response to school shootings with legally bought weapons, people in this thread are somehow using an OD on a legal drug to call for wider legalisation of drugs. It's completely nonsensical.

I have to agree.

Give me one solid, meaningful reason why we would benefit by making illegal drugs legal.
It wasn't really the drugs that killed him it was his mental illness that was forcing him to find some sort of relief if he hadn't had the drugs he would have probably committed suicide anyway, the drugs may have slightly extended his life.
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
Enough of this 'drugs'. There's no such thing as 'drugs', they're all different chemicals with different effects, risks and benefits. Apparently DXM killed him, so he smears LSD and everything else with the same brush. This is ****brained.

This case hit home hard with me this morning, because I had been planning on doing 3 hits of acid later on that day (tonight/now/thisday)

Thankfully it all went by okay.
Original post by Emil Cioran
This case hit home hard with me this morning, because I had been planning on doing 3 hits of acid later on that day (tonight/now/thisday)

Thankfully it all went by okay.

Don't tell me you didn't trip because of this bull****?
Don't tell me you didn't trip because of this bull****?

I did.
Original post by Emil Cioran
I did.

You must have got started really early
You must have got started really early

Nah did it after. Gladly never thought about it whilst at my peak, otherwise it could've ruined the vibes.
Original post by Balloon Baboon
I have to agree.

Give me one solid, meaningful reason why we would benefit by making illegal drugs legal.

The psychedelics have real therapeutic/introspective uses. They're more than just recreational drugs, they're serious business and they can change people for the better. Even the mainstream press is now quite frequently reporting on studies showing positive outcomes from ingesting these substances in a sensible manner. They've been demonised for decades but the truth is slowly coming out now.
lol beyond the health issues that may or may not come with taking certain drugs, one thing which is clear, is that taking certain drugs makes you pretty much a waste man. Chillin' on the corners, smokin' your joint, getting high off an LSD trip in some club. Pretty much: loser. I'll only talk about mj, but I don't know anyone who does so who is actually clever, like top student. The only one I knew became a dumb student, or at least solid average. Doing this different **** makes you care less about many important things in life and just right out turns you into a bum. You don't care about education, you don't give a crap about involving in the wider world at all. All you want is your next trip. Top losers.

Nobody who did illegal drugs on a really regular basis, ever contributed anything meaningful to this world. Let's try keep off that bum life.
For me, there are two main things need to be taken into account when discussing the legalisation of substances. How addictive is it? (If it's highly addictive then you are no longer making a choice) and how extreme are the side effects if taken in large doses (which is likely to happen if it's addictive). How damaging is it to the body? Cigarettes for example are addictive, but you could smoke 40 in one day and not OD. Now I've never taken heroin, cocaine, meth etc, have no desire to, but if you took several hits of that in one night, how likely are you to OD?

Could one stupid decision or a couple of stupid decisions potentially end a life? A couple of nights getting pissed on alcohol isn't likely to kill you (from side effects of the drug itself, not from external effects such as driving or falling in water)

You can't compare drug taking to driving a car, that's illogical. There are safety measures in place to minimise the dangers of driving through engineering, education, training, testing, restrictions, etc etc. putting a substance into your body is a roll dice.
(edited 9 years ago)

The point is that the distinction between illegal and legal drugs is based on virtually nothing. This guy overdosed on over-the-counter cough syrup and yet it's the LSD that's illegal. Why?
The point is that the distinction between illegal and legal drugs is based on virtually nothing. This guy overdosed on over-the-counter cough syrup and yet it's the LSD that's illegal. Why?

That might be your point but it wasn't mine. My point is that it is completely nonsensical for people to somehow use a fatal overdose by recreational use of a legal drug to argue for more drugs to be legally available for recreational use. People here are just desperate to argue for more drugs to be legal that they can't see this story in absolutely no way supports that.

I'm no expert on the effects of LSD, but at a guess I would say LSD is illegal because it is has no use other than as a recreational drug, whilst this drug he died from is not entirely illegal because it has use in medicines, so to outlaw its use would be to outlaw various medicines.
That might be your point but it wasn't mine. My point is that it is completely nonsensical for people to somehow use a fatal overdose by recreational use of a legal drug to argue for more drugs to be legally available for recreational use. People here are just desperate to argue for more drugs to be legal that they can't see this story in absolutely no way supports that.

I'm no expert on the effects of LSD, but at a guess I would say LSD is illegal because it is has no use other than as a recreational drug, whilst this drug he died from is not entirely illegal because it has use in medicines, so to outlaw its use would be to outlaw various medicines.

I don't think anybody is really using this case as an argument for legalising drugs, they're just saying it doesn't really detract from the pro-legalisation standpoint and speaking in defence of drugs like LSD which has somehow been caught up in all this despite having nothing to do with it. Basically this kid overdosing on DXM is not a strong case for maintaining the prohibition of drugs like LSD - which is virtually harmless and impossible to OD on - and the fact that DXM is legally available shows there's really no rhyme or reason to drug policy and that it's not necessarily the illegal drugs we need to be cautious of.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TheFuture001
lol beyond the health issues that may or may not come with taking certain drugs, one thing which is clear, is that taking certain drugs makes you pretty much a waste man. Chillin' on the corners, smokin' your joint, getting high off an LSD trip in some club. Pretty much: loser. I'll only talk about mj, but I don't know anyone who does so who is actually clever, like top student. The only one I knew became a dumb student, or at least solid average. Doing this different **** makes you care less about many important things in life and just right out turns you into a bum. You don't care about education, you don't give a crap about involving in the wider world at all. All you want is your next trip. Top losers.

Nobody who did illegal drugs on a really regular basis, ever contributed anything meaningful to this world. Let's try keep off that bum life.

Your comment epitomises everything wrong with the decriminalisation ideology: ignorant, judgmental and dogmatic.

Firstly, you have no idea of the "drugs" you talk about. LSD is very rare on the club scene and raves aren't really the ideal place to take it. The drug you were thinking of was Ecstasy - completely different effects, both physically and psychologically .

So now we've established that you have no idea WHAT you're talking about - do you have any idea WHO you're talking about? Of course not. You say that you only know one person who smokes weed, and fro m that one anecdote, you are making an assertion that drugs invariably make you a "wasteman" (great vocabulary) and "care less about many important things"! Do you have any concept of scientific method or logical deduction? Although it is true that people who smoke weed are more lazy (I can make that statement, because I know more than one person who does) that is not necessarily CAUSED by the drugs. Have you heard of the difference between correlation and causation?

Then you make the assumption that all drug USERS are drug ABUSERS - which is simply ridiculous and judgmental. I bet your parents like a glass of red wine with a meal, is "all [that they] want" their next bottle? No. There is no difference between people who consume alcohol infrequently and moderately and LSD (all all 'drug' users) who do the same.

As for your final statement "Nobody who did illegal drugs on a really regular basis, ever contributed anything meaningful to this world"... Have you heard of Aldous Huxley? Judging from the ignorance apparent in your post you clearly haven't.

So armed with: one anecdote; no first hand, or second hand, knowledge of drugs; a "traditional" illiberal upbringing; and a prejudice. You have managed to make an idiot out of yourself.

Well done :smile:
Original post by BernardMarx
Your comment epitomises everything wrong with the decriminalisation ideology: ignorant, judgmental and dogmatic.

Firstly, you have no idea of the "drugs" you talk about. LSD is very rare on the club scene and raves aren't really the ideal place to take it. The drug you were thinking of was Ecstasy - completely different effects, both physically and psychologically .

So now we've established that you have no idea WHAT you're talking about - do you have any idea WHO you're talking about? Of course not. You say that you only know one person who smokes weed, and fro m that one anecdote, you are making an assertion that drugs invariably make you a "wasteman" (great vocabulary) and "care less about many important things"! Do you have any concept of scientific method or logical deduction? Although it is true that people who smoke weed are more lazy (I can make that statement, because I know more than one person who does) that is not necessarily CAUSED by the drugs. Have you heard of the difference between correlation and causation?

Then you make the assumption that all drug USERS are drug ABUSERS - which is simply ridiculous and judgmental. I bet your parents like a glass of red wine with a meal, is "all [that they] want" their next bottle? No. There is no difference between people who consume alcohol infrequently and moderately and LSD (all all 'drug' users) who do the same.

As for your final statement "Nobody who did illegal drugs on a really regular basis, ever contributed anything meaningful to this world"... Have you heard of Aldous Huxley? Judging from the ignorance apparent in your post you clearly haven't.

So armed with: one anecdote; no first hand, or second hand, knowledge of drugs; a "traditional" illiberal upbringing; and a prejudice. You have managed to make an idiot out of yourself.

I smoke MJ most nights and overall im far less reactive and am able to detach myself from my stress far more readily. On the reverse I am definitely blunted if you'll pardon the pun XD. Im doing music so the disinhibition of my thought processes is massively helpful but the trade off is that im hyperfocusing far too much which means that practical matters get sidelined.

So the point of that is to illustrate that the truth about weed is far more complex than "its medicine" or "its poison". The truth lies somewhere between the two extremes. Not only that but it affects everyone differently and can affect each individual differently depending on a load of factors.

Back to me again, I believe that weed is to be preferred over alcohol since I derive positive effects from weed where alcohol just leaves me feeling groggy
Original post by BernardMarx

You misunderstood me. I'm know plenty of people who smoke weed. What I don't know are people who do so and are clever, ie top of their class. I knew one, but like I said he became an average student at best in the end (I'm sure though other factors contributed).

To be honest I'm only really relating to marijuana, and only go on to include these other drugs because I have a cousin in USA who really reflects the situation of people who live to enjoy drugs. He's a nice guy and all, but he seems to care less about the important things in life.

Lol you thought I meant I only knew one person who's done weed, where the hell do you think I live?! So many people do so it's unbelievable. What I don't know much of are cases of people taking harder drugs like crack/cocaine; I know of two who tried it, and yeah whether it is directly cause, I'm at least sure that engaging in the sort of life they were, taking the kind of drugs they were taking, resulted in them both being very bright students, to less than your average joe. So I actually know 3 truth be told, however I don't count one of them because there are a variety of other factors in her life which I believe led her downhill.

I agree that my comment is a bit rude and insensitive, but I don't deny any of it's truth. At least from what I have witnessed, people who smoke weed regularly seem to care less about life and the important things, and seem to fall behind academically. I understand this thread isn't necessarily about marijuana, but that's all the knowledge of drugs I have. I'm not saying ALL those who take drugs btw don't go on to do anything significant, just less likely amongst those who do so very regularly.
Original post by TheFuture001

An excellent post "The Future". You have seen through the nonsense which Liberals spout about drugs. A glass of wine is not the same as a tab of LSD or a shared needle of scag in a Glasgow tenement. Drugs are a mug's game.

Quick Reply

Latest