Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I want to start a forum like this one but I could find any free forum sites except ezboard (and they make you pay after 30 days). anyone know any?

ReputationRep:
    First of what type of server are you using? Do you have MySQL access?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.metalforums.com/forums/index.php?

try this one? i am not sure if it is good!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    First of what type of server are you using? Do you have MySQL access?
    umm.....i dont have a server....aint there any free ones?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shushimeng)
    http://www.metalforums.com/forums/index.php?

try this one? i am not sure if it is good!!
    no i mean i want to make my own.

ReputationRep:
    You get what you pay for. The free ones are slow and unreliable and you don't have any access to the low down features like database control.

You will also get loads of pop up adds, basicaly nobody wil bother with it.

ReputationRep:
    You get what you pay for. The free ones are slow and unreliable and you don't have any access to the low down features like database control.

You will also get loads of pop up adds, basicaly nobody wil bother with it.
    what if i have my own webspace then? i dont mean my own server.

ReputationRep:
    I use www.suddenlaunch.com for my forum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    what if i have my own webspace then? i dont mean my own server.
    You can have you own webspace thats what I meant, but you need to know what technology the server has. You can't just upload a forum and hope it will work because it won't.

If you are using PHP you need a server running PHP 4.0 or above idealy and support for a MySQL database.

If you are using ASP then you can use Access as the database.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    I use www.suddenlaunch.com for my forum.
    thanks thats the kind of thing i am looking for, but you cant sign up for it anymore

ReputationRep:
    You can have you own webspace thats what I meant, but you need to know what technology the server has. You can't just upload a forum and hope it will work because it won't.

If you are using PHP you need a server running PHP 4.0 or above idealy and support for a MySQL database.

only perl is allowed on my host

ReputationRep:
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    only perl is allowed on my host
    Not PHP? That is strange. I don't think there is many perl forums about but its worth a look. Also do you know if it supports MySQL because I doubt many perl forums will support Access.

ReputationRep:
    thanks thats the kind of thing i am looking for, but you cant sign up for it anymore

ProBoards.com
    this is the same one..

ReputationRep:
    http://invisionfree.com/

best there is

ReputationRep:
    try www.myfreebb.com - not bad for free

ReputationRep:

if you have any sort of broadband, you could always go down the DIY route, and run a server at home. I ran a mysql/apache/php box running windows 2000, on a pentium 2 233mhz with 64mb ram, which was fine because I didnt have much traffic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dickie)
    if you have any sort of broadband, you could always go down the DIY route, and run a server at home. I ran a mysql/apache/php box running windows 2000, on a pentium 2 233mhz with 64mb ram, which was fine because I didnt have much traffic.
    dunno.....always seems a bt unsafe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dickie)
    Yeah its ok if you don;t have much traffic but even with a few users a 512kbps connection will not be able to cope.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah its ok if you don;t have much traffic but even with a few users a 512kbps connection will not be able to cope.
    depends what's being dished out. If it's just text (like a forum), then 512k (or 750k on cable soon) is fine.

The cpu should be fine - a 486 running apache can saturate a T1 with data, so a p2 is fine, even with SQL/PHP.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.