The Student Room Group

3 A-Levels for Medicine in UK.

Hi everyone, i'd like to ask what are the chances of getting into a UK uni for medicine with 3 A-Levels? I'm an international applicant, from Malaysia. I did IGCSE's which is basically GCSE for you guys. I just started my A-Levels 3 months ago, and currently doing Bio , Chem , Maths & Physics. I'm considering to drop Physics as its quite challenging for me. So is it possible for me to pursue medicine in the UK with just 3 A-Levels?
Reply 1
Original post by Shanjaye Raj
Hi everyone, i'd like to ask what are the chances of getting into a UK uni for medicine with 3 A-Levels? I'm an international applicant, from Malaysia. I did IGCSE's which is basically GCSE for you guys. I just started my A-Levels 3 months ago, and currently doing Bio , Chem , Maths & Physics. I'm considering to drop Physics as its quite challenging for me. So is it possible for me to pursue medicine in the UK with just 3 A-Levels?

Unless I'm misunderstanding your situation, no you'll be perfectly fine - most people only have three A Levels at A2! And as far as I know uni's don't generally consider your AS subject.
You should probably do a fourth AS, you can then drop it for A2.
Reply 3
Original post by AdamCee
Unless I'm misunderstanding your situation, no you'll be perfectly fine - most people only have three A Levels at A2! And as far as I know uni's don't generally consider your AS subject.

How about those who did 4 or more A-Levels? Will there be a tough competition for me? Not forgetting the quota for international students intake :frown:
Reply 4
How about those who did 4 or more A-Levels? Will there be a tough competition for me? Not forgetting the quota for international students intake :frown:

I don't think so to be honest.

Getting 3 As at A Level > 4 Bs I believe

While there will be people doing 4 or more A Levels, there aren't too many people and it depends where you want to apply. If you manage 3 As with a good personal statement, assuming you aren't applying to Oxbridge I would imagine you have a strong chance in being offered a place.

What are your predicted grades?
Reply 5
Original post by AdamCee
I don't think so to be honest.

Getting 3 As at A Level > 4 Bs I believe

While there will be people doing 4 or more A Levels, there aren't too many people and it depends where you want to apply. If you manage 3 As with a good personal statement, assuming you aren't applying to Oxbridge I would imagine you have a strong chance in being offered a place.

What are your predicted grades?

Definitely not Oxbridge. Thinking of Glasgow/Newcastle/Nottingham/Manchester... A*AA / AAA if i were to take Physics as a fourth AS then AAAb . I'm really confused now on whether to stick with 3 A-Levels or 3.5 (physics as 4th AS) :confused:
Reply 6
Definitely not Oxbridge. Thinking of Glasgow/Newcastle/Nottingham/Manchester... A*AA / AAA if i were to take Physics as a fourth AS then AAAb . I'm really confused now on whether to stick with 3 A-Levels or 3.5 (physics as 4th AS) :confused:

Do you mean take 3 A Levels to A2, or start with 3 at AS and A2?
Reply 7
Original post by AdamCee
Do you mean take 3 A Levels to A2, or start with 3 at AS and A2?

Doing 4AS and 3A2 or 3AS and 3A2. I'm having hard time deciding :/
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8

A fourth subject at AS is required for most schools. Also what were your IGCSE grades?
Reply 9
Doing 4AS and 3A2 or 3AS and 3A2. I'm having hard time deciding :/

Will your school allow you to only take 3AS? Most you have to choose at least 4?
Original post by Shadoo
A fourth subject at AS is required for most schools. Also what were your IGCSE grades?

English - A*
Chemistry - A*
Biology - B
Physics - B
Maths - B

By school you are referring to the one i'm currently doing my A-Levels? or the university im going to do medicine?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
English - A*
Chemistry - A*
Biology - B
Physics - B
Maths - B

You only did 5 GCSE?
Original post by AdamCee
Will your school allow you to only take 3AS? Most you have to choose at least 4?

My school allows me to take 3 AS
Reply 13
English - A*
Chemistry - A*
Biology - B
Physics - B
Maths - B

By school you are referring to the one i'm currently doing my A-Levels? or the university im going to do medicine?

MMS requires
'The School requires four AS subjects required excluding General Studies'
[h="3"]GCSE[/h]At least seven subjects are required at grade C or above; at least five must be at A or A*.
English Language and Mathematics are required at GCSE minimum grade B.
All applicants are expected to adhere to these GCSE requirements.
Original post by Shadoo
You only did 5 GCSE?

6 actually, the other is a native language and i got an A* for it.
Yeah in my country 6 igcse are allowed.
My school allows me to take 3 AS

I would suggest you take four and drop one to be honest as I don't think many people do take 3... But saying that I doubt it would have much of an affect on the outcome as long as your grades were high
Reply 16
English - A*
Chemistry - A*
Biology - B
Physics - B
Maths - B

Here take a look at this I'll brb in 10 minutes
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/numed/
Original post by Shadoo
Here take a look at this I'll brb in 10 minutes
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/numed/

I'm aware of Newcastle in Malaysia, but i really want to study in the UK :frown:
Btw im an international student, and only did 6 IGCSE's, so does that GCSE rule still applies to me?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 18
I'm aware of Newcastle in Malaysia, but i really want to study in the UK :frown:
Btw im an international student, and only did 6 IGCSE's, so does that GCSE rule still applies to me?

I assume it does, because it says 'All applicants are expected to adhere to these GCSE requirements. If you are resitting any GCSE subjects, you must explain the extenuating circumstances that prompted this.'

You should phone universities and find out more.
Reply 19

Possibly not. It's well known (incl. by med schools) that it's normal to do fewer subjects at IGCSE than at GCSE. Just check with med schools before you apply as to how it might affect your chances (eg at those schools that give points for the grades in the top 7 or 8 GCSEs - this might put you at a disadvantage if they don't have an alternate system for IGCSE applicants).

You will be at a significant disadvantage at many med schools if you do not do 4 AS levels. It is normal to do 4 in Year 12 and then drop a subject so you do 3 A2s.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending