oli19919
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm in yr10 and studying my IGCSE's atm but I'm wondering how many A* I need to get into uni doing veterinary medecine? I know A-levels are more important, and that work experience and personal statements are important too, and I've checked the websites but the uni's say 'minimum of 5A's, including a B in maths' etc but obviously that would not be good enough. Thanks!!
VioletPhillippo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Like medicine vetinary medicine is very competitive so depending on what unis you eventually apply to I would aim to get the highest GCSEs you can possibly achieve.

As well as maths you will need high grades in science (especially in biology and chemistry) so you can take them at a level and English as it is a core subject.
Siriuslyserious
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by oli19919)
I'm in yr10 and studying my IGCSE's atm but I'm wondering how many A* I need to get into uni doing veterinary medecine? I know A-levels are more important, and that work experience and personal statements are important too, and I've checked the websites but the uni's say 'minimum of 5A's, including a B in maths' etc but obviously that would not be good enough. Thanks!!
There's no set amount, because like you said there are other factors.
It also depends on the uni you apply to, for example most Cambridge applicants being very academic have about 8A*s (minimum!) and Bristol take GCSEs and Alevels in to equal consideration. You've done well to check uni websites.
I'd say try to aim for that minimum 5As and if you can A*s in all the sciences (and maths), but that doesn't mean get D's in all other subjects. You need to have good GCSEs in general.
(No pressure! :P)

Basically do the best you can!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
oli19919
Rep:
?
(Original post by VioletPhillippo)
Like medicine vetinary medicine is very competitive so depending on what unis you eventually apply to I would aim to get the highest GCSEs you can possibly achieve.

As well as maths you will need high grades in science (especially in biology and chemistry) so you can take them at a level and English as it is a core subject.
Thank you!!
oli19919
Rep:
?
(Original post by Siriuslyserious)
There's no set amount, because like you said there are other factors.
It also depends on the uni you apply to, for example most Cambridge applicants being very academic have about 8A*s (minimum!) and Bristol take GCSEs and Alevels in to equal consideration. You've done well to check uni websites.
I'd say try to aim for that minimum 5As and if you can A*s in all the sciences (and maths), but that doesn't mean get D's in all other subjects. You need to have good GCSEs in general.
(No pressure! :P)

Basically do the best you can!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
thank you!!
SilverstarDJ
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Aside from the really academic unis like Cambridge, most unis don't place that much weight on your GCSEs so long as you meet minimum requirements. It's a bit of a myth that you need all A* to get into vet med - your A level results, work experience, personal statement, BMAT, interview performance are FAR more important than GCSE grades. Obviously try to get as high grades as you can, but don't panic if you don't end up with all A*s.
oli19919
Rep:
?
(Original post by SilverstarDJ)
Aside from the really academic unis like Cambridge, most unis don't place that much weight on your GCSEs so long as you meet minimum requirements. It's a bit of a myth that you need all A* to get into vet med - your A level results, work experience, personal statement, BMAT, interview performance are FAR more important than GCSE grades. Obviously try to get as high grades as you can, but don't panic if you don't end up with all A*s.
ok thank you, would you say 6/7 A* would be decent for vetmed? That's what I see myself getting
SilverstarDJ
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
ok thank you, would you say 6/7 A* would be decent for vetmed? That's what I see myself getting
So long as you meet the minimum then you will be fine, the number of A*s doesn't guarantee you a place though.
Kittibojte
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I my opinion, if you will have English and Maths A or A* plus as many as poss, then you are fine and "only" need 3 A science subjects at A level plus a great work experience in year 10 and 11. You will get in like this! Good luck!
mollyvet
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I got 7A* and 6A, which, looking at the Connect pages, is probably the average for a course of this sort. Obviously, to reiterate the others, you will probably need to work for A*s in Sciences and Maths, but it doesn't matter as much as it does at A level (ie. I only got an A in maths, but most unis only ask for a B!).
SilverstarDJ
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Kittibojte)
I my opinion, if you will have English and Maths A or A* plus as many as poss, then you are fine and "only" need 3 A science subjects at A level plus a great work experience in year 10 and 11. You will get in like this! Good luck!
What is your opinion based on? Your own or other experiences? Because not all vet schools require an A or A* in English/Maths for example.

Here is a nice summary table:
http://www.applyingtovetschool.wings...-requirements/

You also DO NOT need 3 science A levels depending on which vet school you want to apply to (you will need bio and chemistry) - I know plenty who got in doing a 3rd non science subject!
mollyvet
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SilverstarDJ)
What is your opinion based on? Your own or other experiences? Because not all vet schools require an A or A* in English/Maths for example.

Here is a nice summary table:
http://www.applyingtovetschool.wings...-requirements/

You also DO NOT need 3 science A levels depending on which vet school you want to apply to (you will need bio and chemistry) - I know plenty who got in doing a 3rd non science subject!
I believe that Glasgow prefer a third science and Cambridge mandate it? I know various people who are applying to Glasgow without a third science (including myself) but for Cambridge it's more essential.
SilverstarDJ
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mollyvet)
I believe that Glasgow prefer a third science and Cambridge mandate it? I know various people who are applying to Glasgow without a third science (including myself) but for Cambridge it's more essential.
Yes, that's right that there are some who want/prefer a 3rd science one a lot of them don't - it's important to look up individual requirements for unis as they vary.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Bristol insists on 6 x A grade A levels with Maths and English Lang at grade B minimum, and two sciences at grade B minimum.
(and grade A in Mathematics if Mathematics or Physics not offered at grade A at A-level or AS-level).

Anything lower than this, *regardless of what your A level predictions look like* and you won't get beyond the first sift.

Most Uni 'score' applications (grades and PS/reference) and you will be up against LOTS of applicants who have A or A* grades in all their GCSE subjects. They will score higher than you because of this and that could be the difference between getting an interview or not. GCSEs matter.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (54)
25.59%
No (157)
74.41%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed