This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Does anyone actually see the point of key skills- yes i know they carry UCAS points- but i tried arguing that the University I want to go to + the course I want doesn't accept them- making them pointless.
I know they want to see that you have basic maths, english + IT skills- but let's face it doesn't test it- I got my communication sent back today because the picture didn't link in with the essay enough (+ it totally did), talk about jumping through hoops.
I have a friend who argued (we do lots of that) that he was doing English, Maths + Computing A levels- so it's kinda obvious he has all those skills, but it doesn't matter
One of our teachers let it slip that we only do key skills so that college gets more money cos it's like an extra subjects

rant over...basically do people agree- it a waste of time
or is there anyone who thinks it's useful ( i am willing to be converted- i've just never heard a good argument)
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm sorry- it logged me out for some reason- i started this thread just so you know vaguely who it is you're trying to convert!
Tednol
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Sorry what are key skills? Never heard of them??
lou p lou
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Theyr'e these subjects the government has introduced to make sure 6th form students have the basic areas of education (cos we din't so GCSEs or anything) - but they're not compulsory.
there's 3 areas:
Application of Number (maths)
Communication (English)
IT
You can either do level 2 or level 3 (level 3 being higher)
for each section you have a portfolio:
i'm not sure wot it is for AoN cos i haven't done that,
IT (level 2)= 2 things (like a leaflet or poster or letter) on a topic of you choice- it's really boring but fairly easy- it just has to include number, text + images
Communication (level 3)=short document (letter to person in authority)
Long document- essay with picture
Presentation
Discussion
Reading Synthesis- find 2 A4 sides worth of information (like a web page) + produce a document from it (i did a leaflet on the dangers of mobile phones)

Hope that's cleared it up for you (+ sorry it's so long)
: )
temerity
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
At my school you are meant to do key skills level 2 in your AS year and level 3 in your A2 year. But if got a B in GSCE IT maths and english language you do not have to do the level 2 and if you are taking computing/IT maths or english A levels then you dont have to do the level 3 either. I think this is the better way of doing things rather than everyone doing all of them. luckily for me i never had to take any even thou i dont do a level english, but by the A2 year the teachers didnt bother getting people to do the level 3 exams.
Petrozzi
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Key Skills represents all that is evil.

or is that Jeremy Beadle?
lou p lou
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Petrozzi
Key Skills represents all that is evil.

or is that Jeremy Beadle?
I think Key Skills portfolios on Jeremy Beadle would definately be the definition of evil
However Jeremy Beadle doing Key Skills would be justice
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Unregistered
Does anyone actually see the point of key skills- yes i know they carry UCAS points- but i tried arguing that the University I want to go to + the course I want doesn't accept them- making them pointless.
I know they want to see that you have basic maths, english + IT skills- but let's face it doesn't test it- I got my communication sent back today because the picture didn't link in with the essay enough (+ it totally did), talk about jumping through hoops.
I have a friend who argued (we do lots of that) that he was doing English, Maths + Computing A levels- so it's kinda obvious he has all those skills, but it doesn't matter
One of our teachers let it slip that we only do key skills so that college gets more money cos it's like an extra subjects

rant over...basically do people agree- it a waste of time
or is there anyone who thinks it's useful ( i am willing to be converted- i've just never heard a good argument)
Totally agree with you. I had to do IT Key Skills last year, was a total waste of time because it was all basic stuff that I'd done before. Jumping through hoops? Yep, definetly. Had to make spelling mistakes and stuff just to show we knew how to use the spellchecker on a computer. That was the same thing that one of my teachers told us, about college getting extra money.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
My school doesn't offer Key Skills at all. I hear that hardly any universities accept them, i.e. consider those to be part of the total aggregate UCAS points, especially top unis. Oh well, I guess this might change over time, with wider recognition as well as the system of UCAS tariff points.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (269)
34.09%
No (520)
65.91%

Watched Threads