Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I ve just finished my module 4 chem revision and just starting module5. Has any one got any tips in learning the transition metal colour changes etc. Im drowning in piles of paper!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greendaygirl)
    I ve just finished my module 4 chem revision and just starting module5. Has any one got any tips in learning the transition metal colour changes etc. Im drowning in piles of paper!
    Learn only the complexes given in the table in the little collins book - assuming you are doing AQA.

Ben

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i do aqa, i love the module books but the transition metal section seems to be really generalised and no too specific to certain elements.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i do aqa, i love the module books but the transition metal section seems to be really generalised and no too specific to certain elements.
    Yep - thats why chemistry is so GAY. You just have to learn those mofos.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    Yep - thats why chemistry is so GAY. You just have to learn those mofos.
    A fellow happy chemist. Thats what i like to see lol

ReputationRep:
    A fellow happy chemist. Thats what i like to see lol
    Memorising colours is only a very small part of it, as are electrode potentials (which didn't come up last June). Make sure you know what you're doing with Born-Haber cycles as well - automatic regurgitation like that is one of the first things to go in an exam. I wouldn't worry so much about module 5 - it's module 2 you have to watch out for: ON MODULE 5! If you neglect good synoptic revision (and most people do, I know I did) then they exam could really stuff you over - especially section B. Don't worry if the exam seems very hard - you only needed 95/120 for 120 UMS last summer.

Ben

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben.S.)
    Memorising colours is only a very small part of it, as are electrode potentials (which didn't come up last June). Make sure you know what you're doing with Born-Haber cycles as well - automatic regurgitation like that is one of the first things to go in an exam. I wouldn't worry so much about module 5 - it's module 2 you have to watch out for: ON MODULE 5! If you neglect good synoptic revision (and most people do, I know I did) then they exam could really stuff you over - especially section B. Don't worry if the exam seems very hard - you only needed 95/120 for 120 UMS last summer.

Ben

Thats very good advice. My chem teacher keeps going on about silver halide reactions with silver nitrate and ammonia and ethanne-1,2-diol. I take it youve done the a-level?

ReputationRep:
    Thats very good advice. My chem teacher keeps going on about silver halide reactions with silver nitrate and ammonia and ethanne-1,2-diol. I take it youve done the a-level?
    Yes, last year. Oh, yes - halides come up on module 5 all the time. What precipitates what, what the distinguishing sights (and smells) are. I hated that stuff. Don't forget how to calculate equilibrium constants (we get it easy at university - all concentration/pressure terms are divided by a standard, so the constant is dimensionless!).

Ben

ReputationRep:
    The synoptic is a massive part of it - I took the exam on january(not having been taught all of the course and not revising the AS material) - and revised the module 5 stuff heavily - turns out I got 64UMS, even though Im almost certain that I got all of the module 5 stuff right ! Synoptic is at least 50% of the paper so bare that in mind...

ReputationRep:
    The synoptic is a massive part of it - I took the exam on january(not having been taught all of the course and not revising the AS material) - and revised the module 5 stuff heavily - turns out I got 64UMS, even though Im almost certain that I got all of the module 5 stuff right ! Synoptic is at least 50% of the paper so bare that in mind...
    Why on earth would you take that exam in January?

Ben

ReputationRep:
    Yes, last year. Oh, yes - halides come up on module 5 all the time. What precipitates what, what the distinguishing sights (and smells) are. I hated that stuff. Don't forget how to calculate equilibrium constants (we get it easy at university - all concentration/pressure terms are divided by a standard, so the constant is dimensionless!).

Ben

OMG are you doing a chemistry degree? *shudders*

ReputationRep:
    OMG are you doing a chemistry degree? *shudders*
    Well, it could turn into one - I like chemistry and I'm doing NatSci at Cam.

Ben

ReputationRep:
    Well, it could turn into one - I like chemistry and I'm doing NatSci at Cam.

Ben

im impressed i have a love/hate relationship with chemistry. So you must h ave got a gd A2 grade?

ReputationRep:
    Is there Synoptic in Edexcel's Unit5 like in Biology? I know you may get asked AS Organic chem, but is any of the other AS stuff going to come up in U5, or is it just in U6?

ReputationRep:
    I'm off to chem at durham for 4 years !! i cant wait

ReputationRep:
    Why on earth would you take that exam in January?

Ben
    As my teacher is a retard and managed to miss the 'Module 5 is 50% synoptic' bit of the syllabus

ReputationRep:
    As my teacher is a retard and managed to miss the 'Module 5 is 50% synoptic' bit of the syllabus
    retarded is not the word! Have you done your a level then?

ReputationRep:
    retarded is not the word! Have you done your a level then?
    No, far from it, Im taking 7 chemistry exams in the summer due to the massive incompetance of the teachers in my school/chemistry department

ReputationRep:
    No, far from it, Im taking 7 chemistry exams in the summer due to the massive incompetance of the teachers in my school/chemistry darptment
    That is crazy! So are you doing the whole as and a2 again?

ReputationRep:
    That is crazy! So are you doing the whole as and a2 again?
    Yeh, except for module 2 which I did in January

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.