Key concepts for GCSE Drama essay. Watch

Helfus
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey, I was just wondering whether anyone could write me a list of some really good terms and concepts and terms I could use in my GCSE Drama exam? My exam board is AQA although I'm too sure whether that's really relevant as good drama terminology is good drama terminology whichever exam board you may be on. My teacher has said it's a really good way to bank marks by adding some impressive terminology in the essay and with my mocks starting next week I'd really like some help!
Liv284
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Helfus)
Hey, I was just wondering whether anyone could write me a list of some really good terms and concepts and terms I could use in my GCSE Drama exam? My exam board is AQA although I'm too sure whether that's really relevant as good drama terminology is good drama terminology whichever exam board you may be on. My teacher has said it's a really good way to bank marks by adding some impressive terminology in the essay and with my mocks starting next week I'd really like some help!
I'm not sure what the essay focus is, like performance or directorial or a review etc. but regardless here are some standard terms that have got me all the way through to A2 so hopefully they're helpful to you! -

physicality: posture/stance/gait/deportment/gesture/facial expression/idiosyncrasy/mobility/spacial relationships - proximity

vocal: volume/pitch/tone/inflection/phrasing/stress/pace/rhythm/accent/dialect/pause
Helfus
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I don't know yet either and won't till the exam. These are great, thanks!
danconway
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not all of it is terminology as such, but all of it is worth considering in your answers.

Characterisation:
Status, class, age, mannerisms,

Physical aspects:
Gesture, body language, eye contact, proxemics (distance between actors), facial expression,

Vocal:
Pace, pause, pitch, projection, volume, stress, tone, accent

Style and genre:
Naturalistic, non-naturalistic

General:
Pace, energy, focus, mood, atmosphere, comedy, tension.
danconway
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't know yet either and won't till the exam. These are great, thanks!
The AQA Drama questions are very formulaic - especially for Question 1.

01 is always a description of your piece - just do exactly what the question asks and you should get 10 marks.

02 usually asks how you contributed: i.e. how you acted and what skills you used. This question may ask about the early stages (specifically rehearsals - don't talk about the actual performance) or the final performance itself.

03 may ask about difficulties and how you overcame them - the question may ask about teamwork or your personal improvement.

04 is an evaluation - what went well? What didn't (remember, it's fine to say that you were rubbish, and it's also fine to say that you were amazing, as long as you justify)? Talk about your personal feelings, maybe audience reaction, etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (53)
8.75%
I used to but I don't now (16)
2.64%
No, but I want to start (222)
36.63%
No, I am unable to (140)
23.1%
No, I chose not to (175)
28.88%