The Student Room Group

Is Further Maths too challenging? Does it require a lot of work or just natural abili

I'm just thinking about college courses. I'm only in Year 10, and will be sitting two regular calculator and non-calculator papers next year. Maths is really easy to me (not that I'm exceptional at it naturally, but I work very hard at it). This year my math teacher chose me and some other year 11 learners to do Advanced Maths/Additional Maths (A level maths) early. We're doing statistics and calculus (American term) this year, but she wants the few year 10's to finish AS this year and then A2 in year 11.

Basically, we're doing it early and I'm finding it quite easy to do, it's just a small jump from the GCSE's. The only major difference is how in the exams, they don't directly tell you what to do; it leaves you with tons of space and requires you to really know what you're doing.

So I was just wondering: how different is Further Maths to all of this?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Further Maths is not that different in terms of difficulty. It just adds more depth in terms of the topics you do and variety in terms of mathematical methodology.
Why would you want to do A Level by the end of year 11 before even sitting your GCSE. is your teacher mad or she is just trying to show off?

The exceptional pupils in my school just do the UK Maths challenges, team challenge, BMO etc. Why do you need to race ahead? a degree in year 12?
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending