Want more information about this university?

University of Roehampton: accommodation/ campus/ student life

Watch
liv__
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I am thinking of applying to Roehampton, but i am between applying here and the uni of west London. as it is so far away i don't have the opportunity to visit it for an open day or anything as i cannot afford it.

I am wondering what the accommodation is like and which is best to stay in, and what is it like to live in Roehampton? is it a nice place? like is it big/small? rough? has it got any shops or clubs? or is it far from a place with stuff to do?

and is it a nice campus? i am looking to study psychology with counselling, so is it a good course do you know?

are there many events put together in the uni? are people friendly and is it easy to make friends?

i'm really nervous to start a university as i am an extremely shy person and find it hard to make friends so i know it's going to be hard for me, but i am looking at uni's far from home because it is giving me a chance to move away and hopefully become more confident
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by liv__)
I am thinking of applying to Roehampton, but i am between applying here and the uni of west London. as it is so far away i don't have the opportunity to visit it for an open day or anything as i cannot afford it.

I am wondering what the accommodation is like and which is best to stay in, and what is it like to live in Roehampton? is it a nice place? like is it big/small? rough? has it got any shops or clubs? or is it far from a place with stuff to do?

and is it a nice campus? i am looking to study psychology with counselling, so is it a good course do you know?

are there many events put together in the uni? are people friendly and is it easy to make friends?

i'm really nervous to start a university as i am an extremely shy person and find it hard to make friends so i know it's going to be hard for me, but i am looking at uni's far from home because it is giving me a chance to move away and hopefully become more confident
Only been there for an open day but I can tell you this. It's the only campus based university in London and has lakes and lovely old trees on the campus. It's in a very leafy bit of London, off the tube but within walking distance of Barnes railway station and has very good bus links. There are few shops and into much else I could see in Roehampton itself but it's only short distance from Putney and there's always the rest of London.

There seemed lots going on on campus and people seemed very friendly.

I'm told you do get a place in hall in the first year if you want and after that renting can be surprisingly cheap -there is a council estate near by heavily populated by students. Alternatively you can live somewhere a but more exciting for a bit more money.

There are a load of clips on You Tube telling you a bit about it.
liv__
Rep:
?
(Original post by Compost)
Only been there for an open day but I can tell you this. It's the only campus based university in London and has lakes and lovely old trees on the campus. It's in a very leafy bit of London, off the tube but within walking distance of Barnes railway station and has very good bus links. There are few shops and into much else I could see in Roehampton itself but it's only short distance from Putney and there's always the rest of London.

There seemed lots going on on campus and people seemed very friendly.

I'm told you do get a place in hall in the first year if you want and after that renting can be surprisingly cheap -there is a council estate near by heavily populated by students. Alternatively you can live somewhere a but more exciting for a bit more money.

There are a load of clips on You Tube telling you a bit about it.
okay that is really helpful, thank you
lizzie-emily
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by liv__)

I graduated from Roe last year, so I feel fairly confident in answering your questions (and any others you might have)!

Okay, first. Accommodation: Lee House (On Digby campus) is amazing. It's huge and the kitchens are nice and it's pretty new. Bede House is (or at least was when I went) the party house. Every night always ends up in Bede and the people there always seemed to be party animals. Great for parties but pretty messy to live in. Depends what kind of person you are. Southlands accommodation is pretty much all the same. Kind of in between. Clean but but as nice as Lee. Whitelands accommodation is amazing but Whitelands is about 10 minutes from the main campuses (technically one campus but whatever). Accommodation on Frobel is old and not that nice tbh.

Living on campus is really great for first year. It's really friendly, there are LOADS of onsite events. The main one being "Bop" which is kind of like a school disco with alcohol. The main bar is really nice to hang out in during the day too, there's pub quiz on sunday, etc. There are also cafes and stuff onsite. Off campus... well, you basically have to get a bus to go anywhere. There's a bus straight to Hammersmith, which is okay for nights out/gigs etc. There's also a bus to Kensington for museums/art galleries and it's pretty easy to get the hang of travelling around London. Like, within a few weeks I was pretty confident getting a tube or a bus anywhere. GET AN OYSTER CARD. I can't stress that enough. Also, buses will cap your spending at £5 so you can basically go anywhere all day AND most buses run all night so don't stress about having to get taxis or anything. Be careful on the night bus back from Soho though. You get some creepers.

Putney is just down the road. It's walkable in half an hour but I was usually lazy. It has some clubs, a whetherspoons, the usual cafes and shops (Starbucks, Pret, Topshop, etc.) so if you don't want to go into Central it's easy enough. It's kind of like a little village, it's lovely. There's a huge open grass area and some really old churches too and it's right by the river. Kingston also isn't too far and boasts the country's largest Oceana. Great fun. It also has loads of really cheap cafes and such.

Roehampton village is lovely. It's basically just a street with a few small shops and pubs, a ridiculously cheap greasy spoon (amazing for hangovers), co op, gregs, that kind of thing. Oh, and charity shops, which I loved. Careful going around the blocks of flats though. It's a bit dodgy down there. There's a point at which is changed from quaint and cute to... scary. It's more a feeling that much real crime, but better safe than sorry. Most of London is like that though. You need to wary but it's really not that bad.

Richmond park isn't too far away. It's huge and there are deer. Also just up the road there's the Green Man (a great little pub with really good food) and the Telegraph (really, really good sticky toffee sponge- recommend).

It's a beautiful campus. It's so lovely in the summer time, just writing essays on the fields or reading in the trees. Really nice and a really good community too.

I don't know much about the course because most people seemed to do English. From what I know it's pretty good. Sociology was, so I would imagine Psych would be too. Good research facillities.

It's really easy to make friends and there are loads of clubs to join. I actually started the Hogwarts Society (accidentally) which is still going strong. There are loads of societies and sports teams and writing clubs and there's even a newspaper...sort of (it's not very good, haha.). You could even start one if you wanted. You need 10 people for a society. And there are loads of events and the people are pretty friendly.

Don't be nervous. Everyone is in the same boat. Advice though: I turned up with a case of beer on the first day. That went down pretty well. Also people tend to congregate outside the Halls (usually smoking) so that's a good place to meet fellow students. Otherwise, just head over the bar and you're sure to meet a bunch of people.

Enjoy yourself. Make the most of being in London and go to all the events you can. Also, don't skip lessons. Once you do that you wont be able to stop. Trust me.

Hope that helps, if you want any more info I'm happy to provide!
liv__
Rep:
?
(Original post by lizzie-emily)
I graduated from Roe last year, so I feel fairly confident in answering your questions (and any others you might have)!

Okay, first. Accommodation: Lee House (On Digby campus) is amazing. It's huge and the kitchens are nice and it's pretty new. Bede House is (or at least was when I went) the party house. Every night always ends up in Bede and the people there always seemed to be party animals. Great for parties but pretty messy to live in. Depends what kind of person you are. Southlands accommodation is pretty much all the same. Kind of in between. Clean but but as nice as Lee. Whitelands accommodation is amazing but Whitelands is about 10 minutes from the main campuses (technically one campus but whatever). Accommodation on Frobel is old and not that nice tbh.

Living on campus is really great for first year. It's really friendly, there are LOADS of onsite events. The main one being "Bop" which is kind of like a school disco with alcohol. The main bar is really nice to hang out in during the day too, there's pub quiz on sunday, etc. There are also cafes and stuff onsite. Off campus... well, you basically have to get a bus to go anywhere. There's a bus straight to Hammersmith, which is okay for nights out/gigs etc. There's also a bus to Kensington for museums/art galleries and it's pretty easy to get the hang of travelling around London. Like, within a few weeks I was pretty confident getting a tube or a bus anywhere. GET AN OYSTER CARD. I can't stress that enough. Also, buses will cap your spending at £5 so you can basically go anywhere all day AND most buses run all night so don't stress about having to get taxis or anything. Be careful on the night bus back from Soho though. You get some creepers.

Putney is just down the road. It's walkable in half an hour but I was usually lazy. It has some clubs, a whetherspoons, the usual cafes and shops (Starbucks, Pret, Topshop, etc.) so if you don't want to go into Central it's easy enough. It's kind of like a little village, it's lovely. There's a huge open grass area and some really old churches too and it's right by the river. Kingston also isn't too far and boasts the country's largest Oceana. Great fun. It also has loads of really cheap cafes and such.

Roehampton village is lovely. It's basically just a street with a few small shops and pubs, a ridiculously cheap greasy spoon (amazing for hangovers), co op, gregs, that kind of thing. Oh, and charity shops, which I loved. Careful going around the blocks of flats though. It's a bit dodgy down there. There's a point at which is changed from quaint and cute to... scary. It's more a feeling that much real crime, but better safe than sorry. Most of London is like that though. You need to wary but it's really not that bad.

Richmond park isn't too far away. It's huge and there are deer. Also just up the road there's the Green Man (a great little pub with really good food) and the Telegraph (really, really good sticky toffee sponge- recommend).

It's a beautiful campus. It's so lovely in the summer time, just writing essays on the fields or reading in the trees. Really nice and a really good community too.

I don't know much about the course because most people seemed to do English. From what I know it's pretty good. Sociology was, so I would imagine Psych would be too. Good research facillities.

It's really easy to make friends and there are loads of clubs to join. I actually started the Hogwarts Society (accidentally) which is still going strong. There are loads of societies and sports teams and writing clubs and there's even a newspaper...sort of (it's not very good, haha.). You could even start one if you wanted. You need 10 people for a society. And there are loads of events and the people are pretty friendly.

Don't be nervous. Everyone is in the same boat. Advice though: I turned up with a case of beer on the first day. That went down pretty well. Also people tend to congregate outside the Halls (usually smoking) so that's a good place to meet fellow students. Otherwise, just head over the bar and you're sure to meet a bunch of people.

Enjoy yourself. Make the most of being in London and go to all the events you can. Also, don't skip lessons. Once you do that you wont be able to stop. Trust me.

thank you soo much that was really helpful!! sounds quite good tbh
heylaurahey
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by lizzie-emily)

I wasnt sure about going to Roehampton but now that i've read about the Hogwarts society i HAVE to go. Thanks so much
Shannnnnn
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I study psychology currently at roehampton and it isn't a very good department if i'm really honest. The counselling side is really great though, they're really knowledgeable and helpful. The reason why i say the psychology department isn't great is because they are quite slow, we only have lectures and no seminars to discuss anything, lecturers aren't very interested in helping you (there are some amazing lecturers) but i've had my emails ignored more than responded to. It also takes a really long time for your essays to get graded (over a month for sure) I think its because the department is quite big (around 300 students) theres not much time left for individual help. You do get a personal tutor who will help you with any queries you have and programme reps who make changes to the way the degree is taught. I'm currently taking a counselling module and so far its great, theres lots of discussion and the counselling group are really friendly with each other
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (179)
28.59%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (104)
16.61%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
9.27%
I want to meet current students (52)
8.31%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (50)
7.99%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (126)
20.13%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (37)
5.91%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (20)
3.19%

Watched Threads