The Student Room Group

Have you ever received a back-handed compliment?

Scroll to see replies

It's so refreshing to meet someone who doesn't care how they look..... Lol but seriously sometimes I couldn't give a f when I walk out the door :lol:
Christ it wasn't even backhanded.

'Even Smash knows what [insert X phrase] is!' E.g. 'Even Smash knows what anal is!'

'I'd date you if you weren't so fat'

'You're pretty smart for someone retarded'

'I never thought someone like you could be so talented!'

'You're going to make another girl very happy one day'

'Wow, I've quite enjoyed talking to you today for once'

'You really know how to wax lyrical!' [this last one from my Year 10 English tutor/SENCO for ****'s sake]
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Octohedral
That's an attempt to let someone down nicely (necessary), as opposed to a snipey insult (unnecessary). Out of interest, what would you rather we said? :redface:

"you're boring, a bit stupid, you should work out more, you need to watch the news more, I don't find your job attractive at all, your ambition to get Expert on Through the Fire and Flames on Guitar Hero is quite pathetic, don't be such a pushover, your dick was small and to be quite honest you're a bit of a wimp so I reckon you'd bail on the baby. Kthxbai"
Original post by ChrisLay1
He couldn't handle all that sass tbh.

who? :redface:
Original post by SassQueen13
who? :redface:

The person who gave you the back-handed compliment.
Original post by ChrisLay1
The person who gave you the back-handed compliment.

It was a girl :moon:

Posted from TSR Mobile
'You're good looking for a Black guy.'
I'm not even Black, I'm Paki.
Original post by SomePaleChick
"You'd be really pretty if you lost weight"

:angry:

For me it’s been ‘you’d be really pretty if you gained some weight’ and ‘you’re pretty for an Indian’. It annoys me so much as people who don’t know you well believe they have a right to negatively comment on your life. And I know people will say I don’t have it that bad, because I’m ‘skinny’, but people of different body types and weights also experience similar negative things.
Original post by txnishkx_343
For me it’s been ‘you’d be really pretty if you gained some weight’ and ‘you’re pretty for an Indian’. It annoys me so much as people who don’t know you well believe they have a right to negatively comment on your life. And I know people will say I don’t have it that bad, because I’m ‘skinny’, but people of different body types and weights also experience similar negative things.

Have you seen how old this thread is?
Original post by Ramipril
Have you seen how old this thread is?

Nope. I hurst realise it’s like 5 years old or something.
Ohhhh, thanks. I’m new and I’m still tying to figure out how this works and I didn’t realise these was a date so that’s why. Thanks a ton!

Quick Reply

Latest