Joining up in your 30's Watch

King_of_Spain
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi - I applied to join the RAF just over a year ago, passed my AST but was deemed TMU for service due to something I'd disclosed on a medical supplement form and encouraged to reapply in 12 months. I've just re-applied and am due to attend the AFCO presentation again next week and was just wondering if anyone here has had any experience of going through RTS in their 30's - I'll be 31, possibly even 32 by the time I hit basic training if this application goes to plan.

Fitness is definitely not an issue for me, separation anxiety undoubtably would be tough given that I have a family of my own (who are 100% supportive of the application and completely behind me) and am realistic enough to realise that my career progression might not be that of a younger person joining up - I'm also more than capable of dealing with my fair share of banter too if needed! Just keen to find out what other issues I may encounter through the process really.
Crystalz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't see why you'd encounter any issues. My uncle served for the army well into his 30's. I'm sure you'll find a good deal of colleagues are around the same age.
AlphaTango
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by King_of_Spain)
Hi - I applied to join the RAF just over a year ago, passed my AST but was deemed TMU for service due to something I'd disclosed on a medical supplement form and encouraged to reapply in 12 months. I've just re-applied and am due to attend the AFCO presentation again next week and was just wondering if anyone here has had any experience of going through RTS in their 30's - I'll be 31, possibly even 32 by the time I hit basic training if this application goes to plan.

Fitness is definitely not an issue for me, separation anxiety undoubtably would be tough given that I have a family of my own (who are 100% supportive of the application and completely behind me) and am realistic enough to realise that my career progression might not be that of a younger person joining up - I'm also more than capable of dealing with my fair share of banter too if needed! Just keen to find out what other issues I may encounter through the process really.
When i went through training about 25% of my intake (roughly 20 people) were 28-32 years old. I think it was a fairly unusual intake however there was absolutely no issue with age, if anything they breezed through the training. After the first 3 weeks or so you'll usually be home most weekends.

What role is it you are after?
King_of_Spain
Rep:
?
Thanks, I read somewhere recently that a higher % of people going through RAF basic training aged 25+ was higher when compared to the Army and Navy, so I might not be the only old gimmer there! Going for pers support - or Human Resources as it's called now

Posted from TSR Mobile
AlphaTango
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks, I read somewhere recently that a higher % of people going through RAF basic training aged 25+ was higher when compared to the Army and Navy, so I might not be the only old gimmer there! Going for pers support - or Human Resources as it's called now

Posted from TSR Mobile
The majority of the older guys were going pers support too, I bet there will be a fair few late 20's early 30's. If you have just started your application you'll be looking at doing your admin training in june next year.
Rach7584
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That worried me as well. I'll be 28 when I start basic in feb, but I know quite a few people that have joined the forces mid 20's plus. I've spoke to my afco about it, but they said that if anything it could be seen as a positive because we will likely keep our heads down and knuckle in than say some of the 17/18 yr old recruits who may muck around. If your fitness is up to scratch then it'll be fine.
Age is only a number anyways
Terrorfex
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Our Squadron had over half a dozen over-30s during IOT; they were amongst the most capable and able cadets at the time.
Ikaruss
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi Felipe, your majesty etc - can't see any major issues joining up at your stage in life; you'll possibly be slightly behind the racing whippets in the fitness stakes, but not such a slouch that it'll hinder your progress during training. However, as a more mature recruit, I can see the Cpls pinging you to take on the unofficlal role of course leader, mentoring the youngsters in all aspects of Phase 1 training. The present Mrs Ikky was the oldest student during her paramedic course and she basically took on the role of agony aunt, and point of contact for all student welfare and motivation issues. At Halton, that would take some of the heat off the training Cpls and I can see them 'suggesting' that it would be good for you to show the kids how to look after themselves!

I wouldn't presume to teach you how to suck eggs, but I hope you've done serious research on the financial implications of joining at this point in your working life, in particular the pension situation and how the provisions of NEM might affect you in the future. I can't really help you on NEM, mate as I'm long gone with a very good pension and have enough issues with my current employer's remuneration policy, to be worried about my old employer's 'offer'. But try and get as much info about it as you can - there are a number of serving people on this forum who would be better placed to help you understand it.

All the best, and have a great career.

Ikky
King_of_Spain
Rep:
?
Thanks mate - yeah I'm as aware of NEM as I can be with the information available at the minute and, although I'm taking a pretty hefty drop during basic, we should cope pretty comfortably finance wise, even if I ended up reflighted or anything we'd get by. We own a house anyway so when I got to my first unit we'd be renting that out which would supplement my income nicely.

Thanks for your advice

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ikaruss
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks mate - yeah I'm as aware of NEM as I can be with the information available at the minute and, although I'm taking a pretty hefty drop during basic, we should cope pretty comfortably finance wise, even if I ended up reflighted or anything we'd get by. We own a house anyway so when I got to my first unit we'd be renting that out which would supplement my income nicely.

Thanks for your advice

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good job KoS! You obviously have your head screwed on! Hope the application has no further hiccups.

Ikaruss
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

What are your favourite crisps?

Kettle Chips (7)
12.96%
McCoys Salt and Vinegar (4)
7.41%
McCoys Flame Grilled Steak (2)
3.7%
Walkers Prawn Cockail (9)
16.67%
Monster Munch (6)
11.11%
Pringles (10)
18.52%
Walkers Oven Baked Crisps (4)
7.41%
Walkers Beef and Onion (1)
1.85%
Thai Sweet Chili Sensations (11)
20.37%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise