choosing between birmingham and bristol to study modern languages

Watch this thread
gpt4
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
hi there (this is my first post so apologies in advance for any errors !!)

so bristol and birmingham are my top 2 out of the unis i've applied to and i'm really really stuck as to which one i should go for, and was hoping someone here could help?!

long story short i think i prefer the modern languages department at birmingham, but i'm drawn to bristol because it seems like such a nice city.

i'm a little put off birmingham by things i've heard about the area i guess.

and something that puts me off bristol is that there doesn't seem to be much diversity (as in mainly just white middle class ??) and lots of people from london.

obviously i know these are complete generalisations so i really do appologise for that but i'm just going on what i have heard/seen!

if anyone reading this could share anything they think i may find helpful about the unis, the area and student life or just any thoughts it would be much appreciated. thanks!
jumjum
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
okay i would say birmingham because it is considered good

but remember you will be living there
do you want to live in such an isolated small city?
probably not

so pick bristol
gpt4
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
yeah i think bristol is edging towards being my firm.
the only thing is that i think that the modern languages department at birmingham is better than bristol. that's the main thing holding me back. ah decisions decisions!
josh_v
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by gpt4)
yeah i think bristol is edging towards being my firm.
the only thing is that i think that the modern languages department at birmingham is better than bristol. that's the main thing holding me back. ah decisions decisions!
Im from Bristol, and did undergrad at Birmingham.

Bristol is definitely a nicer city. Id much rather live in Bristol than Birmingham. But the Birmingham campus is really great. Im doing MSc in a city university and the atmosphere is very different. The campus vibe is very chilled which I really enjoyed.

I think if I wasn't from Bristol, I would choose Bristol between the two. I had an offer, but wanted to get out, hence went to Birmingham. Either way, both are good unis and a nice way to spend 3/4 years
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (132)
66.33%
No (45)
22.61%
I didn't use it to prepare (22)
11.06%

Watched Threads