Music Technology AS Multi-Track - What to choose? Watch

Georgeleeh
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey guys, for anyone doing Music tech AS: what songs have you chosen for the multi-track recording? Do you guys even get to choose for yourselves?
My teacher is recommending 'Noel Gallagher - Slide Away (Acoustic)' or an Acoustic cover of 'Diamonds in the sky - Rhianna' that WorldJuic3 (?) recorded.
I kinda wanted to choose something I liked though, I'm just not sure what I could do that's not too complicated. What're you guys doing?
Crystalz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I can't tell you what I've chosen due to the fact I don't do music tech AS however I would recommend diamonds by Rihanna over anything by noel Gallagher. I just like her way more haha
hope you get a more helpful reply soon
ARC110497
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm doing this for the 2nd time now and from my first I would say shy away from acoustic tracks. The reason for this is there is limited thinks you can do technology wise with acoustic instruments without delving into the experimental genre. Definitely choose a song that has a drum kit and electric guitar in, this will mean you can score points for how you EQ, Compress and Record the instruments (plus a full drum kit will pretty much tick off your mic list so you can DI the guitar straight into the DAW you're working in). It's important that you pick an easy song for your musicians, one that has 4 chords and simple rhythms are the best. This means you'll get the most out of them whatever there ability and better musicians equals better recording even though the exam board states it doesn't. If you go acoustic and use a Cajon though be very very very very very careful (everyone in the country got marked down for how they mic'd and mixed it last year. Good Luck.
Georgeleeh
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Thanks Man! I'm thinking 'Like a stone' by Audioslave? Well, I found a cover of it that's a little easier on the production value. I'm a guitarist myself and I already have the pedal for the solo, so the rest should be easy peasy. Drum kit, Electric guitar, Vocal (no harmonies or doubled up vocals), Bass guitar and one Acoustic guitar. The drums are nice and simple, as is everything else really.
ARC110497
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Georgeleeh)
Thanks Man! I'm thinking 'Like a stone' by Audioslave? Well, I found a cover of it that's a little easier on the production value. I'm a guitarist myself and I already have the pedal for the solo, so the rest should be easy peasy. Drum kit, Electric guitar, Vocal (no harmonies or doubled up vocals), Bass guitar and one Acoustic guitar. The drums are nice and simple, as is everything else really.
It's a good song that could have the potential to be replicated and produced well, however you might want to be mindful pf the fact that 1. you need to find a vocalist that can sing with that tone or similar 2. you need to find a guitarist who can play that solo towards the end and you need to know the plug ins and stomp pedals used to create that sound (I can hear delay being used, other then that not a clue) and 3. you need to decide when to fade out the song as it is too long to meet the specification.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Imperial College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
  • University of Brighton
    Photography MA open afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
  • University of Plymouth
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19

Who do you think will be the next PM?