mira_seshan
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey, I'm a grade Grade 11 IB student. I just started this August and I'm still trying to keep my head above the water, with merely assignments and homework for now. :eek: But I want to get a head start on planning on my extended essay, so that I don't have to worry later about choosing a topic.

I am doing HL Biology, Chemistry and English literature, and SL History, Spanish and Math. Therefore, I was thinking of doing my extended essay on either Biology or English. I want to pursue a career in veterinary medicine and am hence leaning towards Biology, but many advise for students not to do so as it is graded more harshly and it is difficult to come up with an experiment which has not been done before.

Ideas? Any are much appreciated! These may be pertaining to Biology (specifically zoology or relating to animals) or English literature. Thank You for taking the time to read this!
Crystalz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I thin English would be easier, it literally could be an analysis of a text you find interesting
mira_seshan
Rep:
?
Thanks for replying! Yea, I was thinking the same thing. But I was wondering wheather I should focus on biology, specifically zoology because that is what I want to major in. But I presume no university really looks at your extended essay.
wellthere'sthat
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by mira_seshan)
Thanks for replying! Yea, I was thinking the same thing. But I was wondering wheather I should focus on biology, specifically zoology because that is what I want to major in. But I presume no university really looks at your extended essay.
Hi, I'm not sure if this is still relevant or not but if you want to pursue zoology you should definitely do your EE in Biology because it's subject related, it'll make you look stronger as an applicant. Doing an EE in Bio will also give you something to talk about in your personal statement as well as any interviews that you may have. My school told us that, if we can, we should do our EE on a subject related to the course we want to take.
mira_seshan
Rep:
?
(Original post by wellthere'sthat)
Hi, I'm not sure if this is still relevant or not but if you want to pursue zoology you should definitely do your EE in Biology because it's subject related, it'll make you look stronger as an applicant. Doing an EE in Bio will also give you something to talk about in your personal statement as well as any interviews that you may have. My school told us that, if we can, we should do our EE on a subject related to the course we want to take.
Sure! Then I shall start on my quest for a topic! thanks.
aprilreverie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you're looking to apply to the UK (which I'm assuming) then definitely try and write your EE on a subject that relates to the one you want to finally pursue at uni. Seeing as you want to do VetMed, I'd write it in Biology. However, keep in mind that a good EE requires a lot of passion, hard work & lots of long hours. Are you willing to sacrifice a lot of your free time (and a lot of your sanity) for biology? If so, go ahead

I hope to study Medicine and I'm writing mine in Chemistry x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (47)
16.04%
I'm not sure (8)
2.73%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (100)
34.13%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.37%
I'm not a current university student (134)
45.73%

Watched Threads