Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have heard Liberal Democrat party president Tim Farron say all those who don't support mass immigration and support Britain having sovereignty over its borders rather than the EU anti-British.

Is he correct or making a stupid jingoistic?

My view is he is trying to make a jingoistic and bad argument for his parties policies. We have never had mass immigration for the Blarite government or given control over our sovereign borders to a foreign entity.

In reality Mr Farron is anti-British and anti-Protestant. I am Protestant Loyalist so any attempt to distort Britain and what it should meaning to be British will attacked by me. However nobody in politics ever calls the Progressive Liberal Secularists on their lies. Nobody from the Progressive Conservative party or Thatcherite UKIP.

ReputationRep:
    He is incorrect, it is very unprofessional for him to demonise other parties this wat

ReputationRep:
    45% of Scotland. Shame it wasn't more.

ReputationRep:
    Bloody Eastern Europeans coming here and working the **** jobs nobody else'll do.
    Bloody Caribbeans coming here to fill the post war labor shortage.
    Bloody Germans/ Dutch coming here and becoming our monarchy.
    Bloody Jewish refugees coming here and teaching the Enlightenment.
    Bloody Normans coming here and writing the Domesday book.
    Bloody Romans coming here and getting rid of our British pagan gods and bringing their roads and toilets.
    Bloody Comet coming here and wiping out our BRITISH dinosaurs.

ReputationRep:
    I interpret the term 'Anti-British' as opposing the British Empire, the Monarchy, Westminster and all it's scaremongering politicians. Dare I say any more?

I was born in England but have lived in Scotland all my life. So 'Anti-British' is definitely not 'Anti-English'. More like Anti-Cameron, Anti-Farage. The list goes on.

Yes, if only us Yes voters had won.

We will in our lifetime I am more than sure about that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ModernHistorian)
    I interpret the term 'Anti-British' as opposing the British Empire, the Monarchy, Westminster and all it's scaremongering politicians. Dare I say any more?

I was born in England but have lived in Scotland all my life. So 'Anti-British' is definitely not 'Anti-English'. More like Anti-Cameron, Anti-Farage. The list goes on.

You lost.

But on your quest can you tell me where Alex hid his legal advice on EU membership?

Could you also ask nicola where the money would come from now that oil prices are significantly lower than the $113 per barrel that they did would only go up.

ReputationRep:

I wish you had. Watching Salmond explain that Scotland's going to be fine despite the oil price being less than half of what he claimed it would be (and budgeted for) would be brilliantly entertaining.

ReputationRep:
    Yes voters did not see it as a win or lose battle.

However, Scotland saw so much engagement from groups which were considered apathetic - young people.

Wasn't it funny how straight after the Referendum new sources of oil were found?

We wouldn't have to be paying for the debts which the Conservatives caused. That would save billions!

ReputationRep:
    I would describe myself as anti-British in a way. I was born here and have lived all but six months of my life here. But I feel no connection whatsoever with the British State.

I feel like I may have had more agreement with it in the 60's and around that time; the welfare state, NHS and a general sense of giving a flying-f**k about the common guy. But for a long time now, it has only been about the maintenance of the status quo through monarchy, the social enforcement of the class system, demonstration of the poor, the barely regulated market and authoritarian criminal enforcement.

I was part of the 45% who recognised the astounding, long-term political split along the Anglo-Scottish border and believed in more egalitarian state was possible here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrisawhitmore)
    I wish you had. Watching Salmond explain that Scotland's going to be fine despite the oil price being less than half of what he claimed it would be (and budgeted for) would be brilliantly entertaining.
    Rather ironic that following the Referendum new sources of oil were found?

I wish we had too. Alex created a change in Scotland, perhaps even liberated it.

The debts caused by the bankers and Conservatives would have been mostly taken by England if we had become Independent. That alone would have saved Scotland billions!

ReputationRep:
    Yes voters did not see it as a win or lose battle.

However, Scotland saw so much engagement from groups which were considered apathetic - young people.

Wasn't it funny how straight after the Referendum new sources of oil were found?

We wouldn't have to be paying for the debts which the Conservatives caused. That would save billions!
    The SNP advocated a budget that would've increased the deficit even at $113 per barrel.

And if you believe the current drop
    In oil has anything to so with the referendum then you're dillusional.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CalDem)
    I would describe myself as anti-British in a way. I was born here and have lived all but six months of my life here. But I feel no connection whatsoever with the British State.

I feel like I may have had more agreement with it in the 60's and around that time; the welfare state, NHS and a general sense of giving a flying-f**k about the common guy. But for a long time now, it has only been about the maintenance of the status quo through monarchy, the social enforcement of the class system, demonstration of the poor, the barely regulated market and authoritarian criminal enforcement.

I was part of the 45% who recognised the astounding, long-term political split along the Anglo-Scottish border and believed in more egalitarian state was possible here.
    Was that the egalitarian state that was going to be funded by a second oil boom?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    Was that the egalitarian state that was going to be funded by a second oil boom?
    Partially from the new oil sources, yes.
    But also by actually taxing corporations - rather allowing loopholes and giving them a by.

But more than any argument of 'how' governments can achieve things, the 'what' is important.
    I'd rather elect people that knew what they wanted but were unsure how to get there than a party hell-bent on punishing poverty that knows exactly how they'll do it.

ReputationRep:
    Partially from the new oil sources, yes.
    But also by actually taxing corporations - rather allowing loopholes and giving them a by.

But more than any argument of 'how' governments can achieve things, the 'what' is important.
    I'd rather elect people that knew what they wanted but were unsure how to get there than a party hell-bent on punishing poverty that knows exactly how they'll do it.
    You have been following the news about the oil industry haven't you?

Is that the corporations that the SNP were going to lower the rate of corporation tax to?

So you advocate voting in amateurs who don't know why they're doing?

How do you think all of the three things you believe in are going to impact those at the bottom of the ladder?

ReputationRep:
    You have been following the news about the oil industry haven't you?
    Yes, but the drop in price is due to increase in quantity supplied. The trend is in increased quantity demanded. Ceteris paribus, my friend.

Is that the corporations that the SNP were going to lower the rate of corporation tax to?
    Lower rate but actually enforced.

So you advocate voting in amateurs who don't know why they're doing?
    Not amateurs. Experts but with values rather than personal ambition and benefit. It's sometimes okay to admit you don't have all the answers, one of the main problems with politics today is that politicians purport to know everything.

ReputationRep:
    French c. 19th century.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but the drop in price is due to increase in quantity supplied. The trend is in increased quantity demanded. Ceteris paribus, my friend.

Lower rate but actually enforced.

Not amateurs. Experts but with values rather than personal ambition and benefit. It's sometimes okay to admit you don't have all the answers, one of the main problems with politics today is that politicians purport to know everything.
    The SNP has never said it doesn't know the answers. It's blatantly lied and misrepresented itself time And time again. Salmond went to court to hide the fact he didn't have legal advice on the EU when he said he did.

You'll have to tell me how the SNP are/were planning to enforce the collection of lower corporation taxes. All I saw wAs money leaving Edinburgh whilst Swinney still blustered and fumbled about how he would've collected income tax.

Just between you and I. When You say you want a more egalitarian society, you really mean you'll vote for whoever gives you the most freebies don't you?

ReputationRep:
    The SNP ... Salmond ... the SNP ... Swinney
    I know that those in England only have a passing interest in the affairs of Scotland, and only when it affects then, but you should know that nationalism is not the preserve of the SNP. There are the Greens, SNP, SSP, Labour for Indy, many Independent politicians plus countless supporters/members/candidates/officials of other parties that support and Independent Scotland. It's not about one party, it's about a national vision.

Just between you and I. When You say you want a more egalitarian society, you really mean you'll vote for whoever gives you the most freebies don't you?
    I come from a background that can only be described as "f**king skint". Not to brag, but my exemplary academic record and employment history are lining me up to a pretty high earner. All I ask is that the state provides me and others like me a fair standard of living and all the chances we need in order that we can do well and go on to provide the generations to come with those same chances and standard of living.

ReputationRep:
    I know that those in England only have a passing interest in the affairs of Scotland, and only when it affects then, but you should know that nationalism is not the preserve of the SNP. There are the Greens, SNP, SSP, Labour for Indy, many Independent politicians plus countless supporters/members/candidates/officials of other parties that support and Independent Scotland. It's not about one party, it's about a national vision.

I come from a background that can only be described as "f**king skint". Not to brag, but my exemplary academic record and employment history are lining me up to a pretty high earner. All I ask is that the state provides me and others like me a fair standard of living and all the chances we need in order that we can do well and go on to provide the generations to come with those same chances and standard of living.
    I'm confused to what you're trying to get to in your first paragraph. I truly am. But you seem to be repeating the same tired tripe of this mass non SNP level of support. The greens have whopping two MSPs. The SSP have a Facebook page and I'm still waiting to see the labour for Indy group that doesn't consist of members if the SNP posing as labour supporters.

For somebody coming from a background of f****ng skint then may I recommend you do some Independent research on SNPs economic policy ( you can start off with comparing oil prices to what the SNP said they'd be) you'll be Surprised to know that you'd have gone from f****ng skint to eating the next door neighbours pet cat to survive.

ReputationRep:
    Well, they atent gonna destroy you by force are they?

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.