AQA A2 English Lit coursework - Literary Canon Watch

DKeane
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi,
First time posting, so don't really know if i'm doing this right, but ok. I'm currently trying to figure out how to plan for my coursework question of the Literary Canon. The reason I need hep is because out of the three types of question we could do, I chose this as i didn't want to look at feminism/marxism, and we don't really have any time in class with it. Anyway, the question is:

“The subject matter of valued texts is usually considered to be serious, dealing with moral and philosophical topics of acknowledged importance.” How far do you agree that based on this principle, that Of Mice and Men deserves canonical status?

Any help on exactly how to go about answering it would be extremely helpful.

Thanks.
Crystalz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by DKeane)
Hi,
First time posting, so don't really know if i'm doing this right, but ok. I'm currently trying to figure out how to plan for my coursework question of the Literary Canon. The reason I need hep is because out of the three types of question we could do, I chose this as i didn't want to look at feminism/marxism, and we don't really have any time in class with it. Anyway, the question is:

“The subject matter of valued texts is usually considered to be serious, dealing with moral and philosophical topics of acknowledged importance.” How far do you agree that based on this principle, that Of Mice and Men deserves canonical status?

Thanks.
I'm doing this too! I'm doing my writing on feminism as I think it a tad easier but I think with your question you should outline the criteria for the canon and explain how of mice and men fits the criteria. For example
Steinbeck, white male middle class fits canon
Topic of American dream, meaningful fits the canon
Metaphors, juxtaposition, moral message etc fit the canon
DKeane
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Crystalz)
I'm doing this too! I'm doing my writing on feminism as I think it a tad easier but I think with your question you should outline the criteria for the canon and explain how of mice and men fits the criteria. For example
Steinbeck, white male middle class fits canon
Topic of American dream, meaningful fits the canon
Metaphors, juxtaposition, moral message etc fit the canon
Thank you so much! I just have to do a draft for tomorrow (she moved the deadline up by nearly a week, so it took me by surprise!).

And I was considering feminism, but like in AS, i struggled with finding critics to put into my work, and writing a sort-of magazine article seemed somewhat more appealing to me haha, but again, thank you!
Crystalz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thank you so much! I just have to do a draft for tomorrow (she moved the deadline up by nearly a week, so it took me by surprise!).

And I was considering feminism, but like in AS, i struggled with finding critics to put into my work, and writing a sort-of magazine article seemed somewhat more appealing to me haha, but again, thank you!
Your school definitely should have given you the critical anthology which has a whole bunch of critics that you can add!
Glad I could help, good luck with the draft!
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi,

Thanks.
Of Mice and Men... for A-level? Are you sure?.... Steinbeck's novels such as Winter of Our Discontent, Grapes of Wrath, East of Eden are so much more sophisticated!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Has your university offer been reduced?