The Student Room Group

Turning down an offer from Cambridge

So, I was coerced into applying to Cambridge by my mum, who threatened to withhold university funding if I didn't. I now have an interview for English for Clare College, and I think I have a reasonable chance of receiving an offer.

However, I've also applied for York. I love the city centre, the course looks really good and I want to live in self-catered accommodation, which obviously Cambridge doesn't offer. This was my going to be my first choice before I was made to apply to Cambridge.

The huge workload and short terms at Cambridge really put me off, but I really love English and I feel I would enjoy the course and the supervisions. The main pro of going to Cambridge is obviously the excellent job prospects afterwards, as I really want to go into publishing, which is insanely competitive. However, is that a good enough reason to go there?

Deep down I know I would be happiest at York, but the expectations of my family are really weighing down on me. Plus I don't want to amass a huge amount of debt unless I'm going to get a good job at the end of it. However, I do want to enjoy my university experience.

I know this is completely hypothetical as I haven't received an offer yet, but would it be insane if I turned down an offer from Cambridge?
No, you DO have to spend 3 years at the universities without your parents. Choose where you'd be happiest, however prospects are slightly higher cambridge
Original post by ShonaM6920
So, I was coerced into applying to Cambridge by my mum, who threatened to withhold university funding if I didn't. I now have an interview for English for Clare College, and I think I have a reasonable chance of receiving an offer.

However, I've also applied for York. I love the city centre, the course looks really good and I want to live in self-catered accommodation, which obviously Cambridge doesn't offer. This was my going to be my first choice before I was made to apply to Cambridge.

The huge workload and short terms at Cambridge really put me off, but I really love English and I feel I would enjoy the course and the supervisions. The main pro of going to Cambridge is obviously the excellent job prospects afterwards, as I really want to go into publishing, which is insanely competitive. However, is that a good enough reason to go there?

Deep down I know I would be happiest at York, but the expectations of my family are really weighing down on me. Plus I don't want to amass a huge amount of debt unless I'm going to get a good job at the end of it. However, I do want to enjoy my university experience.

I know this is completely hypothetical as I haven't received an offer yet, but would it be insane if I turned down an offer from Cambridge?

Firstly, I don't really think it's worth worrying about it quite yet because you won't know whether you've got an offer or not for another two months and you've got another five months after that to make a decision.

If you think you'd enjoy York more, I'd say go to York. I don't think the main pro of Cambridge is the job prospects, I think the main advantage would probably be the quality of the education and resources you'd get and the people you'd be with. Nevertheless, if you don't actually think you'd enjoy it there, there really isn't much point going. You can get excellent job prospects from both and it's much more important to go somewhere you'd be comfortable than somewhere you feel you ought to be going. If you're a bright student, you'll do very well at both. So no, you wouldn't be insane to turn down an offer from Cambridge. You'd certainly make a lot of people incredibly jealous and confused, but it's not insane.

With respect to your mum, you need to have a discussion with her. It's not her decision to make and whilst I understand that she just wants the best for you, if she wants you to get into Cambridge that desperately, I don't think that's really in your best interest.

I know someone who became very ill with glandular fever while at Cambridge and ultimately dropped out. If you don't think the style of learning would suit you, I do think that is a good enough reason to turn down the offer. York is still a well respected university, and if you genuinely think you would be happier there, then that's where you should chose to go.

WRT publishing, my understanding is that it's very likely you'd need to gain unpaid experience in the field wherever you went to uni in order to stand a good chance of getting a job. "Just" having a degree from Cambridge may not be enough.

However, you don't have the offer yet. Perhaps your lack of enthusiasm for the university will come across at interview- meaning you don't receive an offer?
Reply 4

Have you been to visit Cambridge (and Clare specifically)?

Generally, if you're set on going elsewhere then largely i'd be inclined to say go for it. You need to be happy, and what you highlight about the time intensity at Cambridge would suggest to me that you may well perform better at York anyway. The environment isn't for everyone, and if you end up at Cambridge and unhappy/stressed all the time then there will be a lot of "what ifs" and questioning why you didn't listen to yourself.

If you can seek some advice on career opportunities that would be good. I have little idea about the publishing industry, although again like many areas, I imagine what you can do yourself will outweigh a name. Make good use of your time (extra curricular, stuff like being involved with university/local papers - whatever is relevant) and build yourself a network earlier rather than later.

Lots of people enjoy their university experience, but plenty of them hate it as well. It was the wrong choice for them in course, in university, or other factors that came up. I think sometimes you need to trust yourself, because three years of your life is a long time to be suffering for it. I made a horrible choice with my preference for research projects this year, and now i'm stuck, and that's spanning just under a year - and making me resent everything. I didn't trust myself, I listened too much to what other people told me to do.

Cambridge might make the decision easy for you (i.e. no offer) so just wait and see I suppose. They do interview a very large proportion of candidates so it's very difficult to judge anything at this stage.

If you do get an offer and decline it then whack the choices in on UCAS and then approach your mum. She can't change anything, and she will accept it (even if not very quickly). If she's willing to help fund you through a degree then i'm sure this is a fairly empty threat, just trying to get the best for you. The final decision is yours and yours alone, because you're the person that has to live with it.
Original post by Chlorophile
... I don't think the main pro of Cambridge is the job prospects, I think the main advantage would probably be the quality of the education and resources you'd get and the people you'd be with.

I agree with this point. The weekly supervisions will mean a greater quality of education, as long as the pressure that goes with them isn't too intense. If the OP can get through the interview - which is in some respects similar to a tutorial -then they will probably enjoy the Cambridge style of teaching.
Reply 6

Nope it's not insane. I'm at Oxford due to my dad. Yeh they push you to do well, and they make you do the work but its a bit unnecessary. I would rather gain a degree on my own merits rather than being constantly badgered. I am currently getting into all sorts of **** cos of my attitude. I like having time to explore stuff and they insist on telling you everything.
In hindsight I should of told my dad to take a hike and picked a university where I have a lot more control on my life and freedom.
Reply 7
Original post by aqahmed
Nope it's not insane. I'm at Oxford due to my dad. Yeh they push you to do well, and they make you do the work but its a bit unnecessary. I would rather gain a degree on my own merits rather than being constantly badgered. I am currently getting into all sorts of **** cos of my attitude. I like having time to explore stuff and they insist on telling you everything.
In hindsight I should of told my dad to take a hike and picked a university where I have a lot more control on my life and freedom.

That must suck, but it's reassuring to hear an honest opinion, so thanks :smile: I know the English course at Cambridge is very prescriptive which is really off-putting for me
That must suck, but it's reassuring to hear an honest opinion, so thanks :smile: I know the English course at Cambridge is very prescriptive which is really off-putting for me

For a career in publishing I would definitely, definitely say go to Cambridge. They have very strong links with all sorts of industries, and a great proportion of students carry out multiple summer internships at prestigious organisations that simply aren't accessible to students at other universities. This is especially important if you want to work in an industry like publishing, which you really do have to 'break into'. I understand that it seems important now to go to the university where you feel most comfortable, but I promise that in three years time you'll be looking at this from the perspective of a soon-to-be graduate facing the real world, and a degree from Cambridge (and all the bonuses attending an Oxbridge institution entails) will make a huge difference to your life at that point.

Please keep us all updated on your interview and on your final decision!

EDIT: Just seen in another thread that you're aiming for A*AA - does this mean your Cambridge application was successful?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Tell your mum where to stick it. She's not going to Uni. :five:
Reply 10
Original post by Retrodiction
For a career in publishing I would definitely, definitely say go to Cambridge. They have very strong links with all sorts of industries, and a great proportion of students carry out multiple summer internships at prestigious organisations that simply aren't accessible to students at other universities. This is especially important if you want to work in an industry like publishing, which you really do have to 'break into'. I understand that it seems important now to go to the university where you feel most comfortable, but I promise that in three years time you'll be looking at this from the perspective of a soon-to-be graduate facing the real world, and a degree from Cambridge (and all the bonuses attending an Oxbridge institution entails) will make a huge difference to your life at that point.

Please keep us all updated on your interview and on your final decision!

EDIT: Just seen in another thread that you're aiming for A*AA - does this mean your Cambridge application was successful?

I won't be hearing back from Cambridge till January, but my interviews went well =)

And I definitely understand how good an Oxbridge degree looks, but I definitely believe that work experience is also very important. For example, I know someone who studied english at Reading, then went on to do a three month graduate placement at a publishing company, and left that straight into a job at Harper Collins. Alternatively I know someone who graduated with a 2:1 from Oxford in English but 6 months on still doesn't have a job. So whilst Cambridge would open up a lot of opportunities, personally I don't believe it's the be all and end all
I won't be hearing back from Cambridge till January, but my interviews went well =)

And I definitely understand how good an Oxbridge degree looks, but I definitely believe that work experience is also very important. For example, I know someone who studied english at Reading, then went on to do a three month graduate placement at a publishing company, and left that straight into a job at Harper Collins. Alternatively I know someone who graduated with a 2:1 from Oxford in English but 6 months on still doesn't have a job. So whilst Cambridge would open up a lot of opportunities, personally I don't believe it's the be all and end all

Yep, that was my point. Oxbridge have strong links with various industries that can make it a LOT more straightforward to land relevant internships and placements. This was true in my field of biology (I went to RHUL, and know how much of a difference not being at Oxbridge made), and it's definitely true for students hoping to go into publishing. Sure, you may get some decent placements whilst at other universities, but why deny yourself this fountain of extra opportunities afforded primarily to Oxbridge students? (Perhaps 'fountain' was an exaggeration, but it'd be daft to turn down extra placement opportunities AND an alma mater that will look amazing on a CV anywhere in the world).

Is there anywhere else you applied to and wouldn't mind ending up at, out of curiosity?

I did English at Cambridge and I wouldn't call it prescriptive. Yes, you are taught the full sweep of English literature from the early medieval period through to the modern day, and you can't decide to opt out of your medieval paper because you don't fancy learning Middle English or your Tragedy paper because you don't like the look of classical Greek drama. But within the framework of the degree you get a tremendous amount of choice. I was able to determine almost every text I wrote about for my weekly supervisions. In my Renaissance paper I wanted to read Spenser's Faerie Queen, so I read Spenser. In my Romantic paper I wanted to write about Coleridge, so I wrote about Coleridge. When I was there I also had the opportunity to substitute an exam for a second dissertation on any topic of my choice. Cambridge is much more self-directed in this regard than a lot of other universities, but you will only enjoy this if you're comfortable with the wider set-up - having to study the full breadth of English lit. If you're not going to like it then you're better off going to York.
Reply 13

My fiance turned down Oxford for York to similar outcry. He did amazingly well at uni and is doing just fine in his career. It helped that he chose a course where the modules suited him better and where he knew he'd have a good time. Once you've done all the research you can do follow your gut.
Original post by Crystalz
No, you DO have to spend 3 years at the universities without your parents. Choose where you'd be happiest, however prospects are slightly higher cambridge

Some people spend 4.
Original post by METRIX64
Some people spend 4.

What was the point of commenting in a 7 year old thread? For a comment that didn't exactly help as well

Latest

Trending

Trending