Birmingham vs BCU? Differences

Watch
priyanka256
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I've sent off my UCAS and I've applied to Birmingham Uni(first choice) and BCU(backup if I miss the grades) for Business Management. I know Birmingham Uni is higher ranked and that so I want to go there more but I feel if I do badly in my exams this year then I'll have to go to BCU. What are the differences between like the people there, the teaching, other things which are important in Uni?
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by priyanka256)
I've sent off my UCAS and I've applied to Birmingham Uni(first choice) and BCU(backup if I miss the grades) for Business Management. I know Birmingham Uni is higher ranked and that so I want to go there more but I feel if I do badly in my exams this year then I'll have to go to BCU. What are the differences between like the people there, the teaching, other things which are important in Uni?
Why are you not allowed to leave Birmingham?
freedom
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You will be working hard from day one at uni of bham.
At BCU you will be chilling and having a good time.
I know this because I went to UOB for accounting. My cousin went to BCU and in his second year he is still enjoying the free time
priyanka256
Rep:
?
(Original post by nulli tertius)
Why are you not allowed to leave Birmingham?
I'm not from Birmingham.
priyanka256
Rep:
?
(Original post by freedom)
You will be working hard from day one at uni of bham.
At BCU you will be chilling and having a good time.
I know this because I went to UOB for accounting. My cousin went to BCU and in his second year he is still enjoying the free time
In that case I think I prefer BCU
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm not from Birmingham.
To rephrase that why of all the places in the UK where you could study, are you only prepared to consider Birmingham?
josh_v
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
In that case I think I prefer BCU
Why bother going at all? You can do even less if you stay at home and get JSA.
priyanka256
Rep:
?
(Original post by josh_v)
Why bother going at all? You can do even less if you stay at home and get JSA.
is it actually that bad? Like would the other people there just not try to study? (I would say I'm quite average in terms of hard working)
priyanka256
Rep:
?
(Original post by nulli tertius)
To rephrase that why of all the places in the UK where you could study, are you only prepared to consider Birmingham?
just liked the city
josh_v
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
is it actually that bad? Like would the other people there just not try to study? (I would say I'm quite average in terms of hard working)
The quality of the uni is irrelevant. If you prefer to go to BCU because there is less work to do, then surely you prefer to just stay at home and do nothing. Thats even less work than BCU.

There are also 2 other unis in Birmingham.
priyanka256
Rep:
?
The quality of the uni is irrelevant. If you prefer to go to BCU because there is less work to do, then surely you prefer to just stay at home and do nothing. Thats even less work than BCU.

but I want a degree. I want to work, but I don't want too much work in Uni
freedom
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Like my cousin, who goes to BCU. He gets 2.1 in his second year, and I have never seen him work.
I am working so hard, I am even reading while I eat, but I am struggling to get 2.1. And I have AAA at Alevels
Aston University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
That is very true, we will just be over here feeling rejected.
Roving Fish
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by BenedikTHyland)
X
Can't tell if troll or serious.
priyanka256
Rep:
?
Like my cousin, who goes to BCU. He gets 2.1 in his second year, and I have never seen him work.
I am working so hard, I am even reading while I eat, but I am struggling to get 2.1. And I have AAA at Alevels
Do they really set standards that low? I don't think it's for me then. I do work, I just don't want to have to work too much.
Mark_2014
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Do they really set standards that low? I don't think it's for me then. I do work, I just don't want to have to work too much.
Hi, I studied law at BCU and got a 2.1. I got a scholarship to study an LL.M at LSE. Don't listen to people saying it will be easy because it certainly will not be. The teaching, workload etc feels the same at LSE as it was at Birmingham City University, to be honest. The only difference at LSE is that I am surrounded by people with better A Levels. People criticise BCU, mainly, because of the location but it is moving into a newly built campus September 2015, so will then build a better reputation. Honestly, BCU isn't that bad. People on here like to feel superior to those who went to a lower ranked uni. Career prospects are also better than people on here say. Many of my friends have found training contracts and graduate roles.

Good luck for your future,

Mark
Mark_2014
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi, I studied law at BCU and got a 2.1. I got a scholarship to study an LL.M at LSE. Don't listen to people saying it will be easy because it certainly will not be. The teaching, workload etc feels the same at LSE as it was at Birmingham City University, to be honest. The only difference at LSE is that I am surrounded by people with better A Levels. People criticise BCU, mainly, because of the location but it is moving into a newly built campus September 2015, so will then build a better reputation. Honestly, BCU isn't that bad. People on here like to feel superior to those who went to a lower ranked uni. Career prospects are also better than people on here say. Many of my friends have found training contracts and graduate roles.

Good luck for your future,

Mark
Mark_2014
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Freedom, without being disrespectful, if you're reading as heavily a you say and still are struggling to achieve a 2.1, then that may indicate that the course you are taking is not for you. The fact you achieved AAA is irrelevant, as A levels are level 3 and degree is 4,5,6. Maybe you cannot handle the independent learning environment, as A levels is completely different learning environment to degree. It would be unfair to undermine other people degrees, due to you struggling with yours.
BenedikTHyland
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
lel BCU is like worst in the country. Why would you go there unless u want #dembenefits
Trustno1
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Aston University)
That is very true, we will just be over here feeling rejected.
I laughed at this so hard 😂😂😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (650)
33.56%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (822)
42.44%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.51%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (87)
4.49%

Watched Threads