Simply93
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi, I'm currently studying Education studies with theology and I am in my final year. I was wondering if I could get help to answering some of these question.

1) I have booked my literacy and numeracy skills tests for late December, can I send of my application for my PGCE before then or do I need to take the tests before?

2) I am hoping to get a 2:1 and I am hoping to take my GCSE maths in June, so I was wondering are my choices of kings college, uni of Birmingham and Newman University (my current uni) reasonable?

3)What kind of things would I need to include in my personal statement? (I am hoping to do PGCE Secondary Religious Education)

4) I have previous work experience in schools (the most recent being in February this year) but do I need to do work experience now before I send my application off?
bownessie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
1. I am pretty sure you need an application number to take the tests (that is what I was told, anyway).

2. No idea, as long as you've got a 2.1 you should be fine.

3. I've always been told it is about reflecting on work experience and why you want to be a teacher.

4. No you don't, though more would never hurt.
jameslad
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Simply93)
Hi, I'm currently studying Education studies with theology and I am in my final year. I was wondering if I could get help to answering some of these question.

1) I have booked my literacy and numeracy skills tests for late December, can I send of my application for my PGCE before then or do I need to take the tests before?

2) I am hoping to get a 2:1 and I am hoping to take my GCSE maths in June, so I was wondering are my choices of kings college, uni of Birmingham and Newman University (my current uni) reasonable?

3)What kind of things would I need to include in my personal statement? (I am hoping to do PGCE Secondary Religious Education)

4) I have previous work experience in schools (the most recent being in February this year) but do I need to do work experience now before I send my application off?
Nice to meet a fellow Newman Student lol!
I'm also in my final year studying Educatio and Sport studies, I'm applying for my PGCE in Maths.

Anyways,

1) You can't book your tests until you submit your UCAS application

2) Almost all institutions ask for C's in Maths and English if you apply to get into teacher training. Also, most ask for a 2:2 as the minimum requirement (Check on their website), but aim for a 2:1 to give you a better chance of getting an offer!

3) If you go to careers hub at Newman, they have a template on how to write a good personal statement. Also, PM me your newman e-mail, I can send you one of my mate's personal statement for PGCE RE (She doesn't mind me sharing it).

4) That's good! How long was it in February? They usually say that you should around 2 weeks worth. Newman does offer placement modules which is a good way to get in valuable work experience

and good luck!
Simply93
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by jameslad)
Nice to meet a fellow Newman Student lol!
I'm also in my final year studying Educatio and Sport studies, I'm applying for my PGCE in Maths.

Anyways,

1) You can't book your tests until you submit your UCAS application

2) Almost all institutions ask for C's in Maths and English if you apply to get into teacher training. Also, most ask for a 2:2 as the minimum requirement (Check on their website), but aim for a 2:1 to give you a better chance of getting an offer!

3) If you go to careers hub at Newman, they have a template on how to write a good personal statement. Also, PM me your newman e-mail, I can send you one of my mate's personal statement for PGCE RE (She doesn't mind me sharing it).

4) That's good! How long was it in February? They usually say that you should around 2 weeks worth. Newman does offer placement modules which is a good way to get in valuable work experience

and good luck!

Hey, Thank you for your reply, I've messaged you my Newman Email. Thanks again
jameslad
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Happy to help.

I haven't received a message btw

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (21)
6.03%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (203)
58.33%
No (124)
35.63%

Watched Threads