rationalising surds

Watch this thread
preludefaun
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
How would you go about rationalising something where the denominator is all in brackets like:

(2 + √3)^2
username1162972
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by preludefaun)
How would you go about rationalising something where the denominator is all in brackets like:

(2 + √3)^2
post the full question please

Posted from TSR Mobile
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 7 years ago

(2 + √3)^2
I don't see a denominator there. 0.o

Could you simply FOIL out the 2​?
username1162972
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
I don't see a denominator there. 0.o

Could you simply FOIL out the 2​?
he is saying that is the denominator

Posted from TSR Mobile
preludefaun
Rep:
The full question is to rationalise:

3√2 - 2√3 / (√2 + √3)^2
username1162972
Rep:
Report 7 years ago

(2 + √3)^2
expand that out and u will an answer in the form a+broot(3) and then carry on as u normally would by multiplying top and bottom by a-broot(3). find a and b by urself

Posted from TSR Mobile
preludefaun
Rep:
Yeah I think I'm just going to expand the denominator out then rationalise.
anosmianAcrimony
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by physicsmaths)
he is saying that is the denominator

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh, I see.
username1162972
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
ignore my previous post as i read it wrong. expand root 2 + root 3 squared and see whatu get. u shud get something in the form a+broot(6). after that rationalise normally

Posted from TSR Mobile
anosmianAcrimony
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Yeah I think I'm just going to expand the denominator out then rationalise.
That should do it. Good luck.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (46)
37.7%
They're exactly what I expected (30)