MrJAKEE
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I am currently doing Maths,Further Maths, Chemistry,History & Politics but will most likely switch Politics for Physics as for Maths at university (something I'm good at and enjoy) practically everyone has Physics to at least AS level. As I'm switching quite late during the course, I feel like I might as well take the Politics exam as a 6th AS level. It doesn't seem very taxing, perhaps exam technique but the content is pips. What are your thoughts? Should I or shouldn't I? The exam board would be Edexcel.
MrJAKEE
Rep:
?
I want to keep Politics & History though for a possible other degree in PPE. Indeed I have vexed interests :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hazzer2
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Didnt do gov&pol AS with edexcel so dont know what their course is like but judging by my experience you would be able to self teach but only if you bought the relevant textbook/s and devoted the proper amount of time to it. I found it also takes a good amount of reading around the subject, keeping up to date with political news and current events etc, watching pmqt for example. If you go about it seriously you might be able to get a decent B but I doubt you could get an A without doing the proper course at school
blondelocks
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MrJAKEE)
I am currently doing Maths,Further Maths, Chemistry,History & Politics but will most likely switch Politics for Physics as for Maths at university (something I'm good at and enjoy) practically everyone has Physics to at least AS level. As I'm switching quite late during the course, I feel like I might as well take the Politics exam as a 6th AS level. It doesn't seem very taxing, perhaps exam technique but the content is pips. What are your thoughts? Should I or shouldn't I? The exam board would be Edexcel.
So long as you have the aptitude for 6 as levels then I would say go ahead. The content, as you say is not very difficult, just ensure you cover everything in the textbook and I think you'll be fine.
MrJAKEE
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hazzer2)
Didnt do gov&pol AS with edexcel so dont know what their course is like but judging by my experience you would be able to self teach but only if you bought the relevant textbook/s and devoted the proper amount of time to it. I found it also takes a good amount of reading around the subject, keeping up to date with political news and current events etc, watching pmqt for example. If you go about it seriously you might be able to get a decent B but I doubt you could get an A without doing the proper course at school
I think an A is possible.. Last time I checked it was around 75% for an A grade on both papers for AS. Admittedly technique is the main thing that should be worked on

Posted from TSR Mobile
MrJAKEE
Rep:
?
(Original post by blondelocks)
So long as you have the aptitude for 6 as levels then I would say go ahead. The content, as you say is not very difficult, just ensure you cover everything in the textbook and I think you'll be fine.
Thanks for the support Did you previously take Politics?

Posted from TSR Mobile
blondelocks
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MrJAKEE)
Thanks for the support Did you previously take Politics?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nope, I'm AS.

I think so long as you can handle the workload then it's definitely doable. It's all about using the terminology in the textbook and understanding the last 20 or so years of politics plus current affairs. So long as you have that and can write an essay then you can get a B/A imo.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (226)
61.08%
No (77)
20.81%
Not sure (67)
18.11%

Watched Threads