cory16
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey, I'm doing a level 3 extended diploma in Computing and really want to get DDD to go to the uni of my choice, how do I go about getting this? Can I get passes in some units and still get an DDD? What about the units, how do you get a disctinction overall in one unit?
Binary Freak
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by cory16)
Hey, I'm doing a level 3 ND in Computing and really want to get DDD to go to the uni of my choice, how do I go about getting this? Can I get passes in some units and still get an DDD? What about the units, how do you get a disctinction overall in one unit?
To achieve DDD overall it isn't pretty difficult but ideally you want to aim for only Merits and Distinctions in each unit.. Getting passes makes it really difficult!

As for achieving a distinction in a unit.. You need to complete all the criteria and have it signed off by your tutor.. Failure to meet a distinction criteria.. You achieve a merit.. If you fail a merit criteria you can only get a pass!!
cory16
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Binary Freak)
To achieve DDD overall it isn't pretty difficult but ideally you want to aim for only Merits and Distinctions in each unit.. Getting passes makes it really difficult!

As for achieving a distinction in a unit.. You need to complete all the criteria and have it signed off by your tutor.. Failure to meet a distinction criteria.. You achieve a merit.. If you fail a merit criteria you can only get a pass!!
What if in one assignment I only met the Pass criteria but the other assignments I met all the Distinction/Merit criteria? Could I get a Distinction overall in that unit or does the Pass prevent that?
Binary Freak
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What if in one assignment I only met the Pass criteria but the other assignments I met all the Distinction/Merit criteria? Could I get a Distinction overall in that unit or does the Pass prevent that?
You must meet all the criteria specified on the unit! So all the passes.. All the merits and all the distinctions must be completed to an acceptable standard.

Just don't muck around.. Understand the operative verbs and know how to do a little bit of research and you'll be fine
spanker
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
In a single unit:
You must achieve all Pass criteria to get a Pass overall.
You must achieve all Merit criteria to get a Merit overall.
You must achieve all Distinction criteria to get a Distinction overall.

Overall grade at the end:
Subsidiary diploma gives you 1 grade overall.
National diploma gives you 2 grades overall.
Extended diploma gives you 3 grades overall.

You can get a Pass/Merit/Distinction/Distinction* for your final grade/s.

You do not need to get all Distinctions to get a final grade of Distinction, you can get some merits and some passes. The amount of credits per unit will all add up at the end which will give you your final grade.

Example:

Say each unit is work a maximum of 80 credits.
Pass = 60 credits
Merit = 70 credits
Distinction = 80 credits

National diploma - 12 units - 2 grades

Unit 1- 70 credits (Merit)
2 - 60 credits (Pass)
3 - 80 credits (Distinction)
4 - 80 credits (Distinction)
5 - 80 credits (Distinction)
6 - 80 credits (Distinction)
7- 70 credits (Merit)
8 - 80 credits (Distinction)
9 - 60 credits (Pass)
10 - 60 credits (Pass)
11 - 70 credits (Merit)
12 - 80 credits (Distinction)

Final grade boundaries(Not accurate in the slightest)
PP - 720 credits
MP - 760 credits
MM - 800 credits
DM - 840 credits
DD - 880 Credits
D*D - 880 Credits
D*D* - 920 Credits

Maximum credits available = 960.
With the credits used above total = 870.
End grade = DM.
btectutor
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey, I'm doing a level 3 extended diploma in Computing and really want to get DDD to go to the uni of my choice, how do I go about getting this? Can I get passes in some units and still get an DDD? What about the units, how do you get a disctinction overall in one unit?

Use the BTEC calculator to see what combination of grades you need to achieve your final grade. It's easy to use, select the qualification and number of units, then add P, M or D.

http://www.speedking.eu/grade-calculator/
Deeboss
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by spanker)
In a single unit:
You must achieve all Pass criteria to get a Pass overall.
You must achieve all Merit criteria to get a Merit overall.
You must achieve all Distinction criteria to get a Distinction overall.

Overall grade at the end:
Extended diploma gives you 3 grades overall.

You can get a Pass/Merit/Distinction/Distinction* for your final grade/s.

You do not need to get all Distinctions to get a final grade of Distinction, you can get some merits and some passes. The amount of credits per unit will all add up at the end which will give you your final grade.

Example:

Say each unit is work a maximum of 80 credits.
Pass = 60 credits
Merit = 70 credits
Distinction = 80 credits

National diploma - 12 units - 2 grades

Unit 1- 70 credits (Merit)
2 - 60 credits (Pass)
3 - 80 credits (Distinction)
4 - 80 credits (Distinction)
5 - 80 credits (Distinction)
6 - 80 credits (Distinction)
7- 70 credits (Merit)
8 - 80 credits (Distinction)
9 - 60 credits (Pass)
10 - 60 credits (Pass)
11 - 70 credits (Merit)
12 - 80 credits (Distinction)

Final grade boundaries(Not accurate in the slightest)
PP - 720 credits
MP - 760 credits
MM - 800 credits
DM - 840 credits
DD - 880 Credits
D*D - 880 Credits
D*D* - 920 Credits

Maximum credits available = 960.
With the credits used above total = 870.
End grade = DM.
when you stated ''Overall grade at the end:
Extended diploma gives you 3 grades overall.''

From this i dont understand something. I am doing 2 subsidiary diplomas in year 12 (BTEC IT AND SCIENCE). So at the end of year 12 i understand that i will get 2 grades one for IT and one for Science.

However, when im in year 13 doing my national diploma for both IT AND SCIENCE, dosent that mean then i will have a total of 6 grades?

2 Grades from year 12 = IT/SCIENCE
4 Grades from year 13 = IT/SCIENCE (Including the grades i got in year 12)?

??
spanker
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Deeboss)
when you stated ''Overall grade at the end:
Extended diploma gives you 3 grades overall.''

From this i dont understand something. I am doing 2 subsidiary diplomas in year 12 (BTEC IT AND SCIENCE). So at the end of year 12 i understand that i will get 2 grades one for IT and one for Science.

However, when im in year 13 doing my national diploma for both IT AND SCIENCE, dosent that mean then i will have a total of 6 grades?

2 Grades from year 12 = IT/SCIENCE
4 Grades from year 13 = IT/SCIENCE (Including the grades i got in year 12)?

??
In the second year you are just adding onto what you already have. So you will get 1 grade per year in each subject. At the end of the 2nd year you will have 2 grades in each subject or 4 all together.

You do 6 unit in first year which is 1 grade.
You then do another 6 units in year 2 which will add onto the first 6 units in the first year, so you will have 12 units at the end of the second year meaning 2 grades.
Ikraam.76
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
If I got a pass in my first year and I got a one merit and all distinctions for the rest of my units. So 6 passes, 1 merit and 6 distinctions what would be my overall grade ? Btw I do 13 units
bamtutor
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Ikraam.76)
If I got a pass in my first year and I got a one merit and all distinctions for the rest of my units. So 6 passes, 1 merit and 6 distinctions what would be my overall grade ? Btw I do 13 units
download the relevant Grade calculator from Pearson website. Put in your actual course and all the grades you have for current units, then have a play with next years units to see what grades you will need.

Download at; https://qualifications.pearson.com/e...alculator.html
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (649)
48.36%
No (693)
51.64%

Watched Threads