Have you ever felt bored or restricted in a relationship? Watch

username927016
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Although I've never been in one I know some people who have said that it was kind of restricting & that some of their partners were clingy. Just wondering what the general consensus is
Rum Ham
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Never felt restricted while in my relationship but I have felt bored before, not to the point where I want to be with someone else or go off my partner though. I think with long term relationships, periods of boredom are common.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username163729
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Depends who you get into a relationship with. Some people will impose restrictions on your lifestyle that you either learn to adapt to or fight against. Others will let you get on with your life without restriction (within reason).

I know what i'd rather have.

You do have to consider the inverse though, what kind of restrictions are you imposing on your partner as well? Are you happy to stop them doing things they want to do just so you can fulfill your own selfish needs?

Don't be that person.

In terms of boredom, yes, bound to happen at some point. But with the right person and the right mindset, you'll definitely mitigate them moments so that nearly every day is a joy to be around that person.
Lauren7658
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Had both. Restrictions I don't mind as much because being in any relationships always going to do that. But boredom, always been a sign it's time to split...
BlueSheep32
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Nidhogg_Rider)
Depends who you get into a relationship with. Some people will impose restrictions on your lifestyle that you either learn to adapt to or fight against. Others will let you get on with your life without restriction (within reason).

I know what i'd rather have.

You do have to consider the inverse though, what kind of restrictions are you imposing on your partner as well? Are you happy to stop them doing things they want to do just so you can fulfill your own selfish needs?

Don't be that person.

In terms of boredom, yes, bound to happen at some point. But with the right person and the right mindset, you'll definitely mitigate them moments so that nearly every day is a joy to be around that person.
Yeah, I'd agree with this, especially the boredom part.

I have occasionally felt restricted by my relationship, but not in a way that's made me consider ending it. Being in a relationship means I feel like I have to take into account where my boyfriend will be when I apply for jobs, but again, I've never feel restricted enough by it to end it so I would be free to move to and work anywhere I wanted, my boyfriend means too much to me to do that. I also have more time to do things outside of my course now he's not at uni with me, which is fun, but when he was here I never really felt like I was missing out on all that stuff, and while I've taken up some fun new hobbies because I've got the time, I'd still rather have him close by & spend more time with him.

I've never felt like I'm restricted to one person either - I'm perfectly happy just being with my boyfriend despite having never been with anyone else, and as things are I'd be perfectly happy if things stayed that way. Restrictions are to be expected if you want to be with someone, you may have to sacrifice things in order to be with them, but as long as you feel those sacrifices are worth it then restrictions are not an issue.
joker12345
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Felt restriction but not really boredom. I think restriction's normal as you're two different people merging your lives and you'll both have to make conpromises. Boredom, especially for a long time, would make me think twice ...
bh3528
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yep, the guy was clingy and in the end I got bored of it. I tried to tell him we should take a break, he just carried on being clingy wanting to know everything so I ended it...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (498)
59.71%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.16%
No- I want it (237)
28.42%
No- I don't want it (56)
6.71%

Watched Threads