how many people start uni at 19?

Watch
annabell2014
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I know its a daft thing to be worried about but do lots of people take gap years or an extra year for whatever reason before uni.
alexschmalex
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
A lot of my friends have started at that age, a couple of them have even started at 20/21, there's some people in my course who started in their mid 20s. 19 is actually pretty normal, it won't make you look weird or anything, dw about it
einnap101
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I started at 19. Honestly, you can't even tell the difference in ages, whether people are freshly into 18 or 23. I have friends both 18 and 21/23+.
*There are also loads of internationals who aren't even 18 yet. So 17yr olds roaming around, which again.. you wouldn't know unless they told you*

Age is the least of your worries.
aliman65
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I started at 19. In fact 3/7 of my flat started out at 19.
katiecharc
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm not taking a gap year but I could end up being 19 when I start because my birthday is in September.
Kaiju
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I started at 19 the first time. Found that a lot of people had done the same thing as me - choose a college course, found it wasn't right for you then switched to something different.

I'll be 21/22 when I go back this time. Not worried about fitting in, it'll be fine.
Stripes23
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I was 19 when I started and just turned 20. You'll find at uni, nobody really cares how old you are. I'm friends with people on my course who've just turned 18, and 26 year old PhD students through the sports club I do. It's nothing like at school where I found people pretty much stuck with their own year group who were all roughly the same age.
Media Miss
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I started at 19, I thought I'd be on of the oldest on my course but there were people much older than me. 19 is quite young on my course
AR_95
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by katiecharc)
I'm not taking a gap year but I could end up being 19 when I start because my birthday is in September.

rofl because of this same reason I'll start at 20
username1494226
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I will be 19 when I start at Uni on my foundation degree, would have started this year but medical circumstances(surgery) meant I had to defer the year. Still raging over it but it was a call I had to make. Nothing wrong with starting later anyway, 18 is way too early anyway.
Emma:-)
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by alexschmalex)
A lot of my friends have started at that age, a couple of them have even started at 20/21, there's some people in my course who started in their mid 20s. 19 is actually pretty normal, it won't make you look weird or anything, dw about it
I agree.
weevilface
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by annabell2014)
I know its a daft thing to be worried about but do lots of people take gap years or an extra year for whatever reason before uni.
I'll be 19 when I start because I'm currently on a gap year but when you think about it there isn't an enormous difference between 18 and 19 and there will be people who you end up only being a few months older than unless your birthday is right at the start of the academic year.

It's a very varied thing. Some people might take elected gap years, some people might resit, some people might have an extra year at school, have a year out for personal reasons etc. I'm worried too but I think it should be fine once you're there.
superduperweirdo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'll still be 17
jc20
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'll be 19 when I start next year. (just dropped out of my old course and now reapplying for a completely different one) Don't think people really notice since there's not much difference, and also because i still kinda look like i'm 15 or 16 lol
neal95
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
ill be 19 but as my birthday is in october i will be 20 one month in! i dont think it matters much tbh as i look younger than my age anyways and im sure no one will care/ask tbh! gap years etc are quite common so relax OP
Opheliascott
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
il be 20 within a few days of starting my course due to resitting the first year of college how ever i did no exams so my HE leader told me i didnt need to mention the disterous first few months i had at college the first time round( completly picked the wrong subjects) however I have gotten an email from a uni asking what I did within the period of leaving school and starting college in 2013? what can i say! should i say i started college in sept 2012 were i chose the wrong subjects or what?!
PickleFire
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
i started at 20. i have friends over 25. tbh id feel awkward if i was a mature student at my uni like over 30
iama
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'll start at 19. I had no idea that in the uk the general age is 18, here it is definately 19 :-? And even older, I had classmates in hs that were more than a year older than me and there was never not even a thought of an issue. It's going to be ok!

Posted from TSR Mobile
TwoLimes
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'll be 23. When I dropped out at 18 & thought about going back I was like 'OH GOD I'LL BE NINETEEN THATS SO OLD' and now I'm like ehh I'm going for a degree, I'll be fine, it's really no big deal. I'm sure you'll be alright, and like the above posters have said, it's no big deal at all.
amiihannah
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I start next September after two years out, and I'll be 20. My mate started this year after one year out, and he was 19, the 9 other people in his flat were also 19+ I'm getting the feeling that it's not an issue.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.61%
I'm not sure (56)
4.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (352)
29.21%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.9%
I'm not a current university student (586)
48.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed