The Student Room Group

how many people start uni at 19?

Scroll to see replies

My friend started this year at 19, I've applied to go next year when I'll be 20, I was talking to a girl at work today who said she didn't start until she was almost 20...I've been surprised how many people I've spoken to lately who took a few years out between college and university. It's far more common than I used to think, when I decided to take two years out, I figured I'd be the only one who wouldn't be fresh out of college or a mature student when starting uni. Apparently that's not the case at all.
I started at 19 after retaking my AS Levels, after getting a CEU. Who would of thought you actually had to revise for those things. Also during my time as an undergraduate i made friends with people of all ages 18-55. Mature students can be some of the nicest people you meet.
The majority of my course are older than 18 (i.e. the age of those coming straight from A Levels or equiv).
That is nothing :erm: Like, not even noticeable. I started at 22 and nobody knew (or didn't ask). Am in second year now and am 24 in January.
I'm a 23 year-old first year! Most people on my course took a year out and are 19- I started my first uni course at 19 as well and found that most people were the same age or just a few months younger.
Original post by Rechushka
I'm a 23 year-old first year! Most people on my course took a year out and are 19- I started my first uni course at 19 as well and found that most people were the same age or just a few months younger.

Thanks thats reassuring! X
I will be 20 just after my course starts, the reason being that I did a year of AS levels before my current course.
I was actually 19 before I started - because my birthday is the week before term starts!
I was 19, and on my course (though there were only 14 of us) half of us were already 19... In my flat each year there's been 2/3 of us a year or two older. It's really not an issue!
Ok so, here’s the thing about this question.It really doesn’t matter. Here’s why.19 is a perfect age to start university. When you’re 18, you have literally only just completed school, and school is nothing like university. You need to take a year out to save up money, or simply research about where you will be going and get your bearings about you. You also want to travel somewhere if you have the money, it makes you a more interesting person and it’s a good conversation starter.Many people who start University at 18 end up also changing their course anyway.You have nothing to worry about. So stop worrying, enjoy these years, and don’t over do the drink like I have been. 🤣

Quick Reply

Latest