The Student Room Group

What does it mean to you to have a BOYFRIEND?

Why do you seek a partner?

What is your perception of having a boyfriend?

Just interested because sometimes I cry because I feel so lonely without the right guy next to me. I dream of cuddling somebody I like in bed and feeling 'safe'.
I'm very happy being single to be honest with you..
But before I would have said someone to do something with, to go out for food and watch movies with.
Original post by abbiemac
I'm very happy being single to be honest with you..
But before I would have said someone to do something with, to go out for food and watch movies with.

I agree. I mean, I have a boyfriend and to have him specifically means I have a best friend I get to enjoy my life with. But to have a boyfriend in general doesn't really mean too much to me. I was quite happy single, I didn't get into my relationship for the sake of it. I was quite fine with doing things on my own and going to bed alone; before my current relationship I actually grew really comfortable with myself because I had that time alone. I didn't aim to get a boyfriend.
Being in a good relationship can be the best thing in the world, but you have to make sure you don't let it become all consuming. See your friends as well.

Being in a bad or substandard relationship on the other hand can be horrible, but there are so many people in those kinds of relationships because they're worried about being alone.
I was single for 3 years. I was so happy being single, I could do what I want. I was single during Fresher's Week (great choice!;]) but now I have a boyfriend and honestly.. there are pro's and con's to it.
Yes it's nice, you can go out to dinner or movies or days out or whatever. You can snuggle and cuddle and stay in and laugh and joke and make out and you know there's at least one person always there for you. A bestfriend who you can be completely yourself with etc.
However, there's arguments and all the hassles of relationships etc.

My boyfriend doesn't go to my uni, so I can't see him often. I've asked my mum to buy me a giant teddy bear for christmas so I have something to cuddle when he's not there!!
Reply 5
Original post by einnap101
I was single for 3 years. I was so happy being single, I could do what I want. I was single during Fresher's Week (great choice!;]) but now I have a boyfriend and honestly.. there are pro's and con's to it.
Yes it's nice, you can go out to dinner or movies or days out or whatever. You can snuggle and cuddle and stay in and laugh and joke and make out and you know there's at least one person always there for you. A bestfriend who you can be completely yourself with etc.
However, there's arguments and all the hassles of relationships etc.

My boyfriend doesn't go to my uni, so I can't see him often. I've asked my mum to buy me a giant teddy bear for christmas so I have something to cuddle when he's not there!!

Aww, aren't you a cutie!
Someone who can see the best and worst sides of you and still be there for you. Someone who can be your best friend and you can talk to about anything, but on the other hand, feel completely comfortable saying nothing. Someone who, when you're in their arms, you feel like you're in the safest place in the world.
Reply 7
I've never been in a relationship or anything close to faintly resembling one, so I don't really know. But like you, the number of times I will lie in bed and just imagine a guy being next to me with his arms around me, protecting me :smile: that's what I want.

I don't see what makes that special for relationships - can't you do those things with friends? I've got a couple of best friends and we do everything together. I'd want a boyfriend for something more.
Original post by Treeroy
I've never been in a relationship or anything close to faintly resembling one, so I don't really know. But like you, the number of times I will lie in bed and just imagine a guy being next to me with his arms around me, protecting me :smile: that's what I want.

I don't see what makes that special for relationships - can't you do those things with friends? I've got a couple of best friends and we do everything together. I'd want a boyfriend for something more.

It's just more special if it's with someone you care about.
Reply 9
It's just more special if it's with someone you care about.

yea but that can be said for anything. You made it sound like you wanted a boyfriend specifically so that you go out and do things and not be alone in that.
Reply 10
Original post by Anonymous
Why do you seek a partner?

What is your perception of having a girlfriend?

Just interested because sometimes I cry because I feel so lonely without the right girl next to me. I dream of cuddling somebody I like in bed and making them feel 'safe'.

This^
Original post by Treeroy
yea but that can be said for anything. You made it sound like you wanted a boyfriend specifically so that you go out and do things and not be alone in that.

Well I'm not a romantic person really, I'm not bothered by all the 'laying is his arms at night' stuff it's just cringy to me. But being able to have fun with someone, who I care about and enjoy his company is the biggie for me.
Original post by Treeroy

Same! I've never been a relationship before. I agree that you can do all of that with friends, but doing it with your boyfriend would make it so much more special. :smile:
I think it just must be nice to have someone who you love and loves you back and who you can snuggle and kiss and be so close to. :dontknow:
I'm too ugly for anyone to ever fancy me though, and I've never met anybody so far (apart from maybe ONE guy, at sixth form:blush:) who I've liked who didn't turn out to be an ungentlemanly dick. :s-smilie:

All in all, relationships probably aren't worth it. If only I could turn off my lonely emotions and stop myself fancying anyone in the future.
Original post by Maid Marian
I think it just must be nice to have someone who you love and loves you back and who you can snuggle and kiss and be so close to. :dontknow:
I'm too ugly for anyone to ever fancy me though, and I've never met anybody so far (apart from maybe ONE guy, at sixth form:blush:) who I've liked who didn't turn out to be an ungentlemanly dick. :s-smilie:

All in all, relationships probably aren't worth it. If only I could turn off my lonely emotions and stop myself fancying anyone in the future.

I love you <3 :h: :^_^:
I like being single - I have more time to actually do some work (as opposed to constantly calling/messaging/meeting up with my bf), to hang out with friends, to talk to other guys without feeling a bit awkward etc. I like the freedom you get basically.

But when I was in a relationship, I also liked knowing that someone likes and cares about me and the feeling of generally being able to tell him what's on your mind etc. As well as the dates obviously.

Being single is awesome but being in a relationship is awesome too. They both have their ups and downs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Maid Marian

Awww :frown: reading that made me sad.
Original post by Treeroy
Awww :frown: reading that made me sad.

:hugs: Sorry :sad: It makes me sad too.
Someone to carry my shopping bags around :colondollar:

I'm kidding though, I wouldn't know because I haven't been in a relationship yet :smile:
I always say that if you're looking for someone you'll end up with anyone.

What makes a relationship special, in my opinion, is being with someone who means a lot you, someone who is your bestfriend and who understands you.

I think when you learn to love yourself and be happy with yourself, the right person will kind of just show up. Being alone doesn't mean you have to be lonely guys :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending