The Student Room Group

TSR's swear filter - have your say

Scroll to see replies

Original post by spotify95
I agree that there should be an option to leave it on or turn it off - except for the most offensive of words, where it should be enabled all the while.

That's basically what we already have.

And that it should also be turned on by default if accessed via a school, college or university based IP address.

If you chose to disable it then why should it? All accounts will obviously automatically enable the swear filter. You have the option to disable it. If you're signing in on your own account and you disabled the swear filter yourself via your settings and you get in trouble then that's your own fault, no?

If you log in at school/college/uni and post then don't disable the swear filter.

Pretty simple :confused:
I would like a change - I think the first letter should be visible - there's a world of difference between using s*** and f*** (or indeed calling someone a s*** or a c***) and I think we should be able to tell the difference.

Alternatively, you could always go for the 'creative replacement' option - a forum I used to be on had w**** replaced with 'lady of horizontal refreshment'
Original post by Jammy Duel
I would say it would be nice to do is have it as a toggleable filter, so by default it's on, but you can turn it off in the settings somewhere.

I agree. :smile:
I didn't even know there was a swear filter. I just put the *'s in myself.

Whoops
Create a toggle that can be turned off by choice, leave it on for guests and otherwise by default. From what I've seen I'm sure this must be possible from a technical standpoint.

Then improve the existing swear filter to cover wildcards and/or deliberate misspellings of swear words intended to get around the filter, and leave the mods to do more pressing work rather than warning for minor avoidances.
Original post by shooks
Does O2 block other sites from you because of swearing?

Not because of swearing but because of the games discussed.
Keep it, but allow customization on a word-by-word basis.
A user toggle would be nice in an ideal world but I'd much rather TSR dev time was spent elsewhere.

My only other thought is back in older times yahoo chat rooms used to turn s**** into poop (and s****e into poope) which used to amuse me hugely when people mouthing off had their rants translated into baby talk.
While not answering the question, the following isn't totally unrelated. I think it would also be nice to see the ability to tag a thread as potentially offensive, much like how you can tag a thread in the study section with the difficulty, this way there won't be the case of
>thread created
>somebody gets offended
>thread deleted
Obviously in the more extreme cases still delete, but there have been threads where I would have been interested to see how it panned out but somebody got offended by it and, just like in society, the moderators pandered to them and deleted it.
Original post by PQ
A user toggle would be nice in an ideal world but I'd much rather TSR dev time was spent elsewhere.

My only other thought is back in older times yahoo chat rooms used to turn s**** into poop (and s****e into poope) which used to amuse me hugely when people mouthing off had their rants translated into baby talk.

Reminds me of habbo hotel where all swear words used to be converted to habba :rofl:
Reply 50
Don't see the point.

I'm glad they took the word "retard" out of the filter, though.
Original post by Wilfred Little
That's basically what we already have.

If you chose to disable it then why should it? All accounts will obviously automatically enable the swear filter. You have the option to disable it. If you're signing in on your own account and you disabled the swear filter yourself via your settings and you get in trouble then that's your own fault, no?

If you log in at school/college/uni and post then don't disable the swear filter.

Pretty simple :confused:

What I meant, was something like this:
http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/announcement.php?f=249
If you scroll down to 2.9 (Profanity) then you'll see what I mean.

So that, if the swear filter was disabled, then casual swearing would be fine.
Keep as is, but be able to opt-out and view swearing if users wish to!
Keep it as it is, if someone really feels a certain words needs to be used then they can asterisk is themselves leaving the first letter or something that way blocks aren't likely and most would recognise whatever is being said.
A toggle for the swear filter like everyone's saying sounds like the best compromise, imo.

Original post by SecretDuck
Yes, a toggle option would be great. But not if O2 restricts my access to TSR on 3G/4G because of it.

I'm with o2 and I'm able to visit other forums that don't have a swear filter no problem.
Original post by Jammy Duel
I would say it would be nice to do is have it as a toggleable filter, so by default it's on, but you can turn it off in the settings somewhere.

I was going to say leave it but I like this suggestion and think it's easy to implement.

Dez will know.
Original post by Kittiara
I'd say leave it as it is. I don't have a problem with swearwords, but I think that the reasons you have it in the first place are good ones, including the accessibility of TSR in schools.

I'd be surprised if many schools allow TSR anyway due to the adult content. Some years ago I could get certain pages but that is ancient history.
Original post by Mr M
I'd be surprised if many schools allow TSR anyway due to the adult content. Some years ago I could get certain pages but that is ancient history.

True. It's not quite kid-friendly, is it? Or it wouldn't be for teachers of, say, 13-year-olds, though the 13-year-olds would probably disagree :biggrin:.
Reply 58
Have to agree on having a option to disable it. Other than that think it is fine the way it is.
I think it would be more beneficial to have the option between having it on or off. Allow each user to decide.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending