The Student Room Group

No one to write letter of reference for post grad app?

So heres my problem:

I graduated this summer from LSE with a 2:1 (albeit a low 2:1) in Bsc International Relations. I'm trying to apply to LSE and IC postgrad programmes, but I've emailed several professors asking for references and none of them have replied except for one, and the only one that has replied has also stopped corresponding with me recently.

I started my application last month, but have been stuck at the reference letter stage for a month now. I was never particularly close to any of my professors and rarely talked to any of them outside of asking questions during lectures. What should i do? LSE accepts only academic references, so I cant even get anyone else to write one for me :frown:

anyone have any ideas? thanks for the help in advance. xx
All I can say is keep trying. Might be good if you can ring up the department and ask to be put through to said professor, and keep trying, its much harder for them to ignore you once you've got them on the phone.
Original post by Chizuru
So heres my problem:

I graduated this summer from LSE with a 2:1 (albeit a low 2:1) in Bsc International Relations. I'm trying to apply to LSE and IC postgrad programmes, but I've emailed several professors asking for references and none of them have replied except for one, and the only one that has replied has also stopped corresponding with me recently.

I started my application last month, but have been stuck at the reference letter stage for a month now. I was never particularly close to any of my professors and rarely talked to any of them outside of asking questions during lectures. What should i do? LSE accepts only academic references, so I cant even get anyone else to write one for me :frown:

anyone have any ideas? thanks for the help in advance. xx

They're busy people. Keep trying - if you don't get a reply in one or two weeks, try again. Relate the urgency of your situation, especially the deadline and when you intend to submit the application. It's not a good sign that you weren't very close to your professors, you need strong references to get into postgrad programs. And I'm sure you know that those programs are very competitive. Just keep at it, better to have some lukewarm references than none at all.
Reply 3
Original post by Kabloomybuzz
All I can say is keep trying. Might be good if you can ring up the department and ask to be put through to said professor, and keep trying, its much harder for them to ignore you once you've got them on the phone.

I always feel like ringing them up might be a bit of a disturbance, especially since none of them actually knew me well. But thanks, I will try that if all else fails
Reply 4
Original post by punctuation
They're busy people. Keep trying - if you don't get a reply in one or two weeks, try again. Relate the urgency of your situation, especially the deadline and when you intend to submit the application. It's not a good sign that you weren't very close to your professors, you need strong references to get into postgrad programs. And I'm sure you know that those programs are very competitive. Just keep at it, better to have some lukewarm references than none at all.

yeah, unfortunately that is the case and i do regret not having spent some effort getting closer to them. but then i again i always hated the feeling of 'sucking up' to someone with the goal of achieving something :frown: i think i might be able to manage one or two generic references from my some of my class teachers, but they probably won't be very strong. what would u say my chances are with these types of references? would having done my undergrad at LSE help at all? thanks :smile:
Original post by Chizuru
yeah, unfortunately that is the case and i do regret not having spent some effort getting closer to them. but then i again i always hated the feeling of 'sucking up' to someone with the goal of achieving something :frown: i think i might be able to manage one or two generic references from my some of my class teachers, but they probably won't be very strong. what would u say my chances are with these types of references? would having done my undergrad at LSE help at all? thanks :smile:

Have you tried your dissertation supervisor? You must have met him/her quite a few times, and they will have read your work and therefore have a better idea of what to say about you rather than just writing it out cold.
Reply 6
Original post by iceflyier
Have you tried your dissertation supervisor? You must have met him/her quite a few times, and they will have read your work and therefore have a better idea of what to say about you rather than just writing it out cold.

in the 3rd year we actually had the option of writing a dissertation or taking an additional module...i chose the latter, so sadly i don't have a dissertation supervisor :frown:
Original post by Chizuru
in the 3rd year we actually had the option of writing a dissertation or taking an additional module...i chose the latter, so sadly i don't have a dissertation supervisor :frown:

I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sure you're not the first person to have trouble finding referees.

What about your course director, or the head of the department?
Original post by Chizuru

Well, strong references at the institution you're applying is gold, but the problem we have here is that your references might be a bit weak as no one knows you very well. Unfortunately, lacking a supervisor, etc. is not good. Surely you had an academic tutor at least? Or as the other poster suggested, course director, head of department, head of year, anyone?

Btw you're in Canada? Or from Canada? I'm Canadian :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending