EmmaL.AM
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Biology is my absolute passion. I love learning about treatment of illnesses and how new discoveries may help cure the incurable in the future. I enjoy microbiology and human biology and would ultimately wish to work on Stem Cell research. I'm currently an A* in biology. I know which A Levels I'll take next year but I'm wondering which University course will be the best for me even though it's quite a while away for me.

I enjoy the immunology and cell research but have the problem of haemophobia (irrational fear of blood) so I don't want to work around it too much. I'd be fine analysing it and I'm fine with non-bloody organs, I just physically can't be around surgery. I am trying to work on it, but it is irrational. Which Uni courses and jobs would you recommend me?
hadukilami
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by EmmaL.AM)
Biology is my absolute passion. I love learning about treatment of illnesses and how new discoveries may help cure the incurable in the future. I enjoy microbiology and human biology and would ultimately wish to work on Stem Cell research. I'm currently an A* in biology. I know which A Levels I'll take next year but I'm wondering which University course will be the best for me even though it's quite a while away for me.

I enjoy the immunology and cell research but have the problem of haemophobia (irrational fear of blood) so I don't want to work around it too much. I'd be fine analysing it and I'm fine with non-bloody organs, I just physically can't be around surgery. I am trying to work on it, but it is irrational. Which Uni courses and jobs would you recommend me?
You could study biological sciences, its basically biology but you get to chose any module you want starting from your second year so you could study all the tings you love Have a look and see if you like that course. You can go into research as well with it which is pretty cool :3
EmmaL.AM
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by hadukilami)
You could study biological sciences, its basically biology but you get to chose any module you want starting from your second year so you could study all the tings you love Have a look and see if you like that course. You can go into research as well with it which is pretty cool :3

Thank you! I had considered that and it does seem like a good way to get into the likes of immunology and cell research.
radpanda
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by EmmaL.AM)

I also have haemophobia but alas I am an A level biology student! To be honest there isn't a lot to worry about. I was in your position when I was thinking about what A-levels to choose because I was terrified of having to do dissections and things which may involve blood. However most of the topics we do you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

I am actually in the process of applying for a biology related course at uni (i'm going to do zoology) and I never would have thought I would go down the route at all. You can choose paths and modules which lead you down careers where you will not need to work with bloody organs and things, biology is so vast a subject that so much of it has nothing to do with surgery. My friend is doing straight biology at uni which involves a mix of everything really but you have lots of choices such as Genetics and Cellular and molecular biology (which sounds a lot like you had in mind)

Hope this helps!
loperdoper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you're not sure, just look around at module descriptions on straight Biology. I personally looked mostly at Biology, and it was only once I started looking at Biology courses and going through my AS levels that I realised that Genetics was my preferred branch. You might not know for sure this year though - I have a friend who was set on Zoology, and then wanted to do full Biology, and then debated doing Biochemistry for a while. I think they settled on Biology in the end.

As a poster about said, Cellular and Molecular Biology (Bath/York) sounds like a good fit, or alternatively Immunology is an option (Glasgow/Aberdeen as a Genetics pathway). Microbiology (Aberystwyth/Reading) is also an actual course.
(It's worth pointing out that those courses are just examples of the selection)

Finally, I know this thread isn't about A-level options, but make sure you've got a second science in there if you haven't already. You don't necessarily need Chemistry (I don't have it), but I didn't realise in Year 11 that for many Biology/related courses you need two sciences, and it was just pure luck that I had chosen Maths.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Have you ever accessed mental health support services at University?

Yes (43)
24.29%
No, but I have thought about it (48)
27.12%
No (86)
48.59%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed