Popular Discussion topics mini-rant

Watch
Trafalgar Law
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Now I am just a lurker usually here on TSR, I hardly ever login because I don't really want to join in the conversations because the same topics and questions keep popping up.

Can a Mod or anyone who has been on TSR for a long time please tell me why topics about Islam keep popping up in the popular section?

I have checked the popular tab frequently and it's always threads against Islam or a person who claims they are Muslim saying something bad about Islam. Now there are many different religions in the world, and I know there are a lot of racist people online ,a.k.a the 'keyboard warriors',(just look at the Youtube comments section as proof) most commonly known as trolls. But I would have thought there would be different topics to look at, or people debating about many different religions, or something else instead of just hounding on one topic for an eternity.

Somebody made a similar thread about this in the beginning of the year, but they got shut down by a moderator, I don't remember the name.

Another thread turned into a religion argument. This is not a debate for religion thread, I just want to know why it keeps popping up. Maybe TSR is turning a blind eye to these things because it comes up so often.

It's always the same stuff, the same questions. It's getting boring really and it needs to stop. There are around 1 million people using TSR (1 million accounts), surely one person can think up of an interesting topic OTHER than religion to discuss all the time. (it's not wrong to discuss religion but these threads I see are not constructive at all, it's just incites more hate, like we need more of that in the world).

If you have seen similar 'repeated posts' then you can tell me about that below.

Please note: No racism, sexism, any -isms really that are bad lol, just I need to know why there's such a bad stigma against muslims on TSR. I thought us brits in 2014 would be more open-minded about this, but looking here on TSR, maybe not...
Kittiara
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You're definitely not the only one who's noticed it. The religion forum might as well be renamed the Conversations about Islam forum, and then you have society, politics, news and current affairs, chat, and so on. I wouldn't like to be a Muslim on TSR right now :eek:.

I think it's to do with the media, though. They stir up outrage at certain groups in society, and Muslims are amongst those groups. You can reason all you want that, yes, some Muslims do terrible things, but that there are some 1.6 billion Muslims in the world so it's just a tiny, tiny percentage who cause trouble, just like a tiny percentage of every group does, but people don't want to hear that and it remains a hot topic.
Trafalgar Law
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Kittiara)
You're definitely not the only one who's noticed it. The religion forum might as well be renamed the Conversations about Islam forum, and then you have society, politics, news and current affairs, chat, and so on. I wouldn't like to be a Muslim on TSR right now :eek:.

I think it's to do with the media, though. They stir up outrage at certain groups in society, and Muslims are amongst those groups. You can reason all you want that, yes, some Muslims do terrible things, but that there are some 1.6 billion Muslims in the world so it's just a tiny, tiny percentage who cause trouble, just like a tiny percentage of every group does, but people don't want to hear that and it remains a hot topic.
That's completely ridiculous if that's the reason it's still a hot topic. Then maybe TSR should dedicate time educating people about the majority of peaceful muslims around the world then! People usually are racist because they are scared of the unknown. I wonder what would happen if you inform these people about normal, everyday muslims around the world, maybe people would stand up for muslims then.

I am 100% sure there would be an outlash and ban if it was a thread against, let's say, jewish people. However it's all fine and dandy against muslims, right? Right...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (21)
14.69%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.59%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
4.9%
I need help with my personal statement (58)
40.56%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (36)
25.17%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.1%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
6.99%

Watched Threads