Turn on thread page Beta

Should i reapply? advice needed please guys! watch

ReputationRep:
    at the moment i'm set to do psychology at bath but i'm becoming increasingly unsure about doing this degree, i really haven't enjoyed A2 psychology at all this year and feel i might be better suited doing a law degree instead (an option which i've been considering for a while now). i've heard that all the good unis for law don't have any places free in clearing and as i'm predicted 4 A's i want to try and get into a decent uni. would it be best waiting and applying again next year?

i'm seriously considering whether i should take a GAP year. i've got a job lined up for the summer holidays which would be no problem to extend for a year and i'd be able to earn about 12K over this time which would really help towards my degree costs.

the only problem is i really,really want to go to university this autumn (i've already had a GAP year after my GCSE's due to illness and if i take another year i'll be starting uni at 20!!). should i try and get any uni i can through clearing and hope for the best? i know that sounds stupid, but i really don't want to have to wait another year being left behind at home while all my friends go off to uni. i'd feel like such a failure!

please can you try and give me an honest view of what i should do as i'm really confused. my head tells me to reapply and take a GAP but my heart says go to any uni you can get in at through clearing!

ReputationRep:
    Just because you haven't enjoyed your A2 course in it doesn't really mean anything, because I think a degree in Psychology is very different to A Level. If you're doing A2 Psychology with AQA, theres a good chance that you are just doing the topics that you aren't as interested in - because the teacher selects which topics you cover. I'd thoroughly look through what you will be covering at degree level, and what sort of careers it will open. I think you'd be able to do a conversion etc.. plus getting an offer from Bath to do Psychology is pretty damn good, especially because they give you a years work placement.

ReputationRep:
    reapply!

Most unis look favourably on a well thought out gap, and with a few strategic placements in law you could bag a decent uni spot.

Don't do a degree if you have serious doubts.

i wouldnt reapply, i'd email as many of the uni's you are tempted by now and see what they say. 4A's for law is nothing really and you may just end up in a worse off position...

ReputationRep:
    I would go to Bath. You have spoken passionately about Psychology in the past, and it is only natural to have doubts about it. As someone else said, Bath is a great place to study Psychology and you are really lucky to have got a place. If I were you, I would go along with the A levels at the moment and go to Bath. Then taste the course and the uni life there. If it isnt what you want you could see about transferring to the Law course at Bath. A2 Psychology, depending on your board, isnt truly reflective of studying psychology at university - where hopefully it will be more applied to everyday life in situations such as education and health. If the worst came to the worst you could apply for Law after a term at Bath studying Psychology - but to me, I dont think that you would want to after that time, and if you still had urges to go towards Law after the degree you could do the conversion.
    To be honest, overall, I wouldnt pass up the chance to study an excellent degree at a very good uni - and that is what Psychology and Bath are.

ReputationRep:
    Have you thoroughly researched what it's like to do both a psych and a law degree? If you haven't, then I'd advise you to really get down to it and look at some textbooks you'd be studying for either degree if possible, or ask someone you know doing either to give you a warts and all description about what the courses are like.

If you're really meant to study psychology, you should find yourself warming to it after you've done your research. If you're meant to study law, then you should find that you really have an interest in it.

If you've already researched it as much as you can and still don't know... flip a coin. I've found that always helps because if I get the option that I secretly don't want, I'll be disappointed and know I should go with the other!

Also bear in mind that law is highly competitive, most students will have all A's and things could go really pearshaped for you if you reapply and don't get any offers. Not trying to insult you or anything, but we've all heard the stories about lottery systems and also about how everyone will be trying next year to avoid top-up fees.

Check out the possibility of changing to Law when at Bath, too.

ReputationRep:
    Try to think backwards, starting from your ideal job and what will best get you there. Also remember 20 is still young and that shouldn't be much of a factor, having said that I know people who have done the A2 and then found a degree to be far more interesting.

ReputationRep:
    I think that if you start uni and you are 21, you will be classed as a mature student and may not be eligible for some support fees. However in your case if you took another year off, you would still be below that age. To be honest if you have any doubts whatsoever I think you need to carefully think about what you really want to do. As starting a degree course, then getting half way through only to find that you don't like the subject, is a costly decision both financially and mentally.

I would carefully research what is actually involved in both degrees, and perhaps seek advice from your tutors, as they will no doubt be able to provide an insight into the subject.

Yes, it is true that law is very competitive, and I think that realistically you should be aiming for the top 20 law schools, the red brick ones, to have any hope of being employed in a really good law firm. They will probably not have law up for clearing in the summer. So perhaps taking out another year would be worth it, perhaps you could get a placement in a law firm and gain some insight into the proffesion?

Why exactly is it you want to persue law now? Is it the money? You have to be sure that you are persuing a certain degree for all the right reasons and not the wrong ones.

You should also be aware, that you can actually do your pyschology (sp) degree that you originally embarked upon, knowing that you can actually do a law conversion course afterwards, should you still have a desire to go ahead with law, this is usally an extra year, but it's there.

Hope this helped.

ReputationRep:
    Law is as boring at anything. I'd advise going to university to study psychology, and then if you still want to do law when you have finished, take a law conversion course.

ReputationRep:
    If it was me, I wouldn't bother. I would get a full-time job somewhere and maybe do a part-time degree later on. Maybe a course with the Open University.

ReputationRep:
    If you are in doubt I and sure you want to do law then I would reapply next year. There are a few half decent unis through clearing for law, you can get an indication by going on ucas and looking at what is available through extra. If you are going for 3 As and think you can achieve this I would consider reapplying but you can wait for a while before making this decision you feeling off psychology might just be a blip.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VoodooDoll)
    at the moment i'm set to do psychology at bath but i'm becoming increasingly unsure about doing this degree, i really haven't enjoyed A2 psychology at all this year and feel i might be better suited doing a law degree instead (an option which i've been considering for a while now). i've heard that all the good unis for law don't have any places free in clearing and as i'm predicted 4 A's i want to try and get into a decent uni. would it be best waiting and applying again next year?

i'm seriously considering whether i should take a GAP year. i've got a job lined up for the summer holidays which would be no problem to extend for a year and i'd be able to earn about 12K over this time which would really help towards my degree costs.

the only problem is i really,really want to go to university this autumn (i've already had a GAP year after my GCSE's due to illness and if i take another year i'll be starting uni at 20!!). should i try and get any uni i can through clearing and hope for the best? i know that sounds stupid, but i really don't want to have to wait another year being left behind at home while all my friends go off to uni. i'd feel like such a failure!

please can you try and give me an honest view of what i should do as i'm really confused. my head tells me to reapply and take a GAP but my heart says go to any uni you can get in at through clearing!
    Lots of people ar 20 + at uni it is not old, if that is the only reason for not going to uni then take a year out. If you have a firm offer for Bath and get the grades I don't think you can go through clearing, so really it's Psychology at Bath or a GAP year. (unless Bath let you swap courses)

You say you really want to go to uni, Ok ask yourself the following

Why do I want to go to uni? Is it to get a degree? Is it to get any degree? Is it to get a specific degree? Is it for the experience of uni? Is it because it is expected? Is it because I'll feel a failure if I do?

Where do I want to work? Do I want to be a lawyer? If not what do I want to do? What can I do with a psychology degree?

How flixible is Bath? Can I do an elective in Law? Can I change subject after 1 semester?

If you want to be a lawyer you could always do your psychology degree and then a one year law conversion course. So in 4 years you will have 2 qualifications and a wide range of career options.

I think your starting point is to talk to the tutors / admissions in Bath. Then decide what YOU want.

If I were in your position (which I'm not) and the following was possible (and it may not be) I'd go to Bath and take electives in Law. If I like the law better I will ask to change courses. If this is not possible I'll complete the psychology and do a law conversion. That way at age 23 or 24 I will effectively have 2 degrees and a world of options.

ReputationRep:
    Oi, I'm starting uni at 20. What the hell is wrong with it.

Cheeky mare :rolleyes:

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.