Turn on thread page Beta

hi everybody,
    i'm deciding at the moment what AS levels the take and i was looking for some opinions on different courses. i'm pretty set on doing computing, phyics and maths - there all AQA. but i cant decide on a fourth, its a toss up between law and history they are both AQA.
    any opinions on any of the above AS would appreciated!!
    thank you...

ReputationRep:
    Can you only do AQA? Does your school/college not do any other boards?

ReputationRep:
    Maths, Physics, Computing + (do an art subject to mix it up a little)

Your first three choices are fine, I'm obviously biased considering they're also my subjects of study. My fourth is Philosophy which is also AQA and really quite interesting and refreshing. Picking the subjects you're considering usually leads well into a Computer Science Degrees, Engineering Degrees and also of course Maths/Physics Degrees.

ReputationRep:
    I'd go for philosophy if you have the option too. Last year I did economics, philosophy, maths and physics. Of the 4, philosophy was the hardest but also the most interesting. Believe it or not, I actually really enjoyed some of the essays. One of the few perks of AS is that it gives you one year to experiment a bit with a new, slightly off the wall subject.

Ed

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I had an interesting conversation with my teacher about this today. He said there was nothing more interesting, that when students come from largely memory/fact based subject backgrounds and are expected to think for themselves. On top of this everybody is unique and usually have their own ideas from things. It's the only subject you have a chance at actually bettering the person that teaches you

ReputationRep:
    Originally posted by Unregistered
    hi everybody,
    i'm deciding at the moment what AS levels the take and i was looking for some opinions on different courses. i'm pretty set on doing computing, phyics and maths - there all AQA.

Speaking solely about Maths AQA, if you are remotely good at Maths, ie done higher tier GCSE and expect a B or above, you will have a nice start, with a book called Methods.

It contains some Statistics and some Pure mathematics which introduces Calculus, the basis of just about every piece of maths you'll do from there on in.

You'll do a further book of Pure mathematics, namely Pure 1, whose content is lengthy to say the least, I think the book is 117 pages deep. The third unit you'll do in the AS, will either be Mechanics 1 which is basically the Forces & Motion stuff you do in Physics, Newtons Laws etc, this unit involves a piece of coursework, normally "Arctic Research".

That or you'll do an applied book called Discrete 1, which is a bit noddy, and involves simply learning loads and loads of processes, and applying them to some network problems.

My AS combination was Methods, Pure 1, and Mechanics 1.

The A2 then pushes out further, doing two more books on Pure, Pure 2 and Pure 3, and an A2 applied book which will more than likely be Statistics 1 - and this involves a piece of coursework.

The only thing of any comfort, is that over the two years there is no real big jump in difficulty, it all follows quite smoothly. It just means that from September of the AS year, you have to work, all the way through to June of the A2 year.

There are set texts for all of the Maths Pure and Applied Units, written by the Cambridge University Press, and they are really useful, if not the most colourful in the world !

ReputationRep:
    Maths Physics and Comp are all good, I did that lot and English. I guess it depends on what you what you would likely want to take through to A2, english is a big step up apparently, i dropped it at AS and continued with the other ones. Philosophy is probably more interesting than English though..

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.