The Student Room Group

Binding energy - can anyone explain it in a better way

Hi, I don't usually get stuck in physics, but I just cannot seem to wrap my head around the concept of binding energy and mass defect. In relation to nuclear fusion and nuclear fission.
Any cool/funny/memorable way of understanding the topic would be really appreciated!
If I am not mistaken binding energy is the energy who keep the nucleus, so proton and neutron together. I think if this binding energy is not great enough, the nucleus decays (protons or neutrons in a certain number get lost) and nuclear fission emerges.

Do you know Einsteins well knwon equation? E = mc². It means that mass (the mass of the atom to be exact) was turned into engery in a certain degree. Thus mass got lost in comparison to the actual mass of the atom. And that is the mass defect, explained in a (very) simple way.
A = Z + N

where A= Mass number,Z= Proton number,and N= Neutron number.

When Proton and Neutron combines together in order to form nucleus then in this process some mass gets lost and this lost mass is known as mass defect.

In Nucleus, Proton and Neutron are contained in small sphere. Due to such small small small small distance between two protons, they exert a very large force of repulsion on each other. So...to prevent nucleus from bursting, certain amount of energy needed to bind the nucleus.

That energy needed is called Binding Energy. When nucleus is formed, the mass of nucleons forming it decreases. This mass defect provides the required binding energy. The energy equivalent to mass defect is known as Binding Energy.

It's kinda like 2 lovers having sex. Both of them combine together to create great orgasm. Of course, they must use some energy. That means the mass of the lovers must get lost. They move,moan & get hotter?
Original post by Hexaneandheels
Hi, I don't usually get stuck in physics, but I just cannot seem to wrap my head around the concept of binding energy and mass defect. In relation to nuclear fusion and nuclear fission.
Any cool/funny/memorable way of understanding the topic would be really appreciated!

This question comes up a lot.
A search in this forum will find quite a few that would be useful to read.

Here's one
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=46197109

Take a look and come back with a more specific question if you still don't understand.

Quick Reply

Latest