Amélie-Tam
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello,

I'm from Switzerland, studying for my Matura in a public school.
If you're familiar with the Swiss system, you'll that we have 12 subjects for our Matura, including our "Specific option", or "Schwerpunkt", which is a subject we can choose among a rather varied list. I chose Physics and Applied maths, thinking I wanted to study either maths or any science subject at uni. But now, doing my second year out of three, I realise that my real passions are philosophy, classics, literature and languages. I've also come to dislike my specific option, the teaching methods don't suit me, and my teachers don't make the course really interesting, it's really terrible (it's not the subjects I don't like, it's the classes).
Since I don't like it anymore, it has become a bit difficult for me to study it and I'm feeling quite anxious and stressed about it all the time (I had an awful panic attack during a maths test, and scored 25% even though I had studied a lot for it, and knew everything perfectly). Plus, I feel like all the energy and time I spend revising things I really don't like are the energy and time I could spend doing things I absolutely love and am talented at.

My wish would be to switch from Physics and Applied maths to Greek (I already have Latin as third language) or to Philosophy & Psychology, but for doing so I'd have to repeat a year, which is very annoying, because I already find all the other courses quite easy. But I'm thinking that if I repeat a year, I'd have time to do a lot "extracurricularly", so it wouldn't be such a big deal.

I haven't found any information about the Oxbridge policy concerning repeating a year anywhere, so I would like to know if anybody knows about it ?
CatnipGlows
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think oxford considers extenuating circumstances- you'll have to email the universities to find out their exact policies for your situation.
VioletPhillippo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't know exactly but I've heard that they're not that keen on year repeats so it might be quite difficult for you to get into Oxbridge. On the other hand there's not point in continuing with lessons that you don't enjoy and are making you feel this way.
Slowbro93
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Your case is unique as you're repeating the year due to a change of subject (which does happen)

I would recommend doing the best you can this year, email both Oxford and Cambridge to see what their policy is (can't remember the most up to date info) and see if you can do the subject change
Amélie-Tam
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Thanks a lot for answering !
I'll email them I guess. Does anybody know where I could find something like a formal email model ? (not very familiar with the right formulations and all since my mother tongue is French)
alcibiade
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Amélie-Tam)
Hello,

I'm from Switzerland, studying for my Matura in a public school.
If you're familiar with the Swiss system, you'll that we have 12 subjects for our Matura, including our "Specific option", or "Schwerpunkt", which is a subject we can choose among a rather varied list. I chose Physics and Applied maths, thinking I wanted to study either maths or any science subject at uni. But now, doing my second year out of three, I realise that my real passions are philosophy, classics, literature and languages. I've also come to dislike my specific option, the teaching methods don't suit me, and my teachers don't make the course really interesting, it's really terrible (it's not the subjects I don't like, it's the classes).
Since I don't like it anymore, it has become a bit difficult for me to study it and I'm feeling quite anxious and stressed about it all the time (I had an awful panic attack during a maths test, and scored 25% even though I had studied a lot for it, and knew everything perfectly). Plus, I feel like all the energy and time I spend revising things I really don't like are the energy and time I could spend doing things I absolutely love and am talented at.

My wish would be to switch from Physics and Applied maths to Greek (I already have Latin as third language) or to Philosophy & Psychology, but for doing so I'd have to repeat a year, which is very annoying, because I already find all the other courses quite easy. But I'm thinking that if I repeat a year, I'd have time to do a lot "extracurricularly", so it wouldn't be such a big deal.

I haven't found any information about the Oxbridge policy concerning repeating a year anywhere, so I would like to know if anybody knows about it ?
I would encourage you to do the switch and keep trying.

After all, the essay is a chance for admissions officers to get to know you. Switching subjects would be a compelling narrative, particularly if you unearthed a genuine passion and struggled to made it happen - you will grow from the process at any rate.
bethbroad
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey,

I am repeating a year of college due to the fact I obtained A*A*B and missed out on my AAA offer at Oxford. I'm resitting the B and have picked up another A Level, although nothing is guaranteed, I have just received an interview for Law at Merton. So, if you want to take a third year - DO! I think that as long as you justify it in either your personal statement/reference, and make it clear that you are hard working, it doesn't impact your application as negatively as you may think and you will still be considered (provided you have a strong candidate profile). Whilst I still may not get an offer, I think it shows that you aren't automatically written off for being a third year student.

Hope it all goes well .
Edminzodo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm pretty sure it'll be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (50)
31.45%
No - I have already returned home (20)
12.58%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (34)
21.38%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (14)
8.81%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
25.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed