This discussion is closed.
iiikewldude
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
ok i've been trying this 2 monitors thing on the pc in my room and ive seriously screwed it up.

so far what i did was:

stick in an old pci graphics card and connected and old 15 inch monitor to it. Thats it.

The pc decided that the 15 inch would be the default monitor on start up and automatically put stuff on both monitors. After about 30 secs after windows starts up it freezes and i can't do anything but cut the power to restore it. This even happens in safe mode.

I've even managed to go into my computer and disable the pci graphics card and restart the computer but it still starts up on the pci graphics card.

Anyone got any tips on what i should do and how can i quickly turn off the twin monitor thing as i think that is prob what is causing the system to freeze.

thanks
iiikewldude
Rep:
?
(Original post by piginapoke)
Have you set the graphics card to be the one you want it to be in the BIOS or just on windows?
just in windows, i cant remember how to get into bios. Anyway i cant see anything on the damn small screen until the win xp loading screen comes up. What button do u press to go into bios again? I've got a feeling if i do get it i wont even be able to see it.
iiikewldude
Rep:
?
(Original post by piginapoke)
Delete usually. If not, F2. Just hold delete down while the comp first starts booting and that should do the trick. There should be a setting for AGP or PCI (or even onboard) for the primary graphics adapter.
cheers mate i'll give it a try - be back in 10 mins (when that pc goes down so does this as the internet comes through the other one)

on a lighter note i have two gems things now thanks to lou p lou
blissy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
two glimmery gems?
iiikewldude
Rep:
?
ok actually this pc seems to have stopped freezing i have two monitors but they're the wrong way round (i go off to right hand side of the right monitor with my mouse to come onto the left hand side of the left monitor) How to i get into the twin view thinggy?
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by iiikewldude)
ok actually this pc seems to have stopped freezing i have two monitors but they're the wrong way round (i go off to right hand side of the right monitor with my mouse to come onto the left hand side of the left monitor) How to i get into the twin view thinggy?
Switch the monitors around?
iiikewldude
Rep:
?
i think i've found what the problem is - it the twin view thing. Right now it seems my pc seems to think it's running on a single monitor as one of the graphics cards is disabled. I'll try the bios thing.
iiikewldude
Rep:
?
ok does anyone know how to get into the bios on a compaq 6520UK?? I can't work it out.
Baron
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
ok does anyone know how to get into the bios on a compaq 6520UK?? I can't work it out.
it should say when you turn it on. Is it not delete? or an F key?
Baron
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Someone, in response to seeing this page, told me that some Compaq machines have F12 as a BIOS setup key. If F10 brings you no joy, it's worth a try. Another person just recently suggested Ctrl + F10 for newer models.
lou p lou
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
on a lighter note i have two gems things now thanks to lou p lou
my pleasure, good thing i don't hold grudges

lou xxx
iiikewldude
Rep:
?
(Original post by Baron)
it should say when you turn it on. Is it not delete? or an F key?
worked it out - it was f1. Cheers for your help everyone. I've got everything sorted out to find out that they don't make xp drivers for my old graphics card and probably will have to buy a new one.

*******s
iiikewldude
Rep:
?
i've got 2 monitors working now with the help of people on this thread.

Thanks everybody!

Edit: tis really wierd moving ur head about though.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your firm and insurance uni choices yet?

Yes (70)
53.44%
Yes, but I want to swap them (10)
7.63%
No, but I know who I want to choose (14)
10.69%
No, I still don't know who I want to choose (33)
25.19%
I have decided I don't want to go to uni anymore and will not be choosing (4)
3.05%

Watched Threads