Turn on thread page Beta

dual monitors screw up watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    ok i've been trying this 2 monitors thing on the pc in my room and ive seriously screwed it up.

so far what i did was:

stick in an old pci graphics card and connected and old 15 inch monitor to it. Thats it.

The pc decided that the 15 inch would be the default monitor on start up and automatically put stuff on both monitors. After about 30 secs after windows starts up it freezes and i can't do anything but cut the power to restore it. This even happens in safe mode.

I've even managed to go into my computer and disable the pci graphics card and restart the computer but it still starts up on the pci graphics card.

Anyone got any tips on what i should do and how can i quickly turn off the twin monitor thing as i think that is prob what is causing the system to freeze.

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Have you set the graphics card to be the one you want it to be in the BIOS or just on windows?
    just in windows, i cant remember how to get into bios. Anyway i cant see anything on the damn small screen until the win xp loading screen comes up. What button do u press to go into bios again? I've got a feeling if i do get it i wont even be able to see it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Delete usually. If not, F2. Just hold delete down while the comp first starts booting and that should do the trick. There should be a setting for AGP or PCI (or even onboard) for the primary graphics adapter.
    cheers mate i'll give it a try - be back in 10 mins (when that pc goes down so does this as the internet comes through the other one)

on a lighter note i have two gems things now thanks to lou p lou

ReputationRep:
    two glimmery gems?

ReputationRep:
    ok actually this pc seems to have stopped freezing i have two monitors but they're the wrong way round (i go off to right hand side of the right monitor with my mouse to come onto the left hand side of the left monitor) How to i get into the twin view thinggy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iiikewldude)
    ok actually this pc seems to have stopped freezing i have two monitors but they're the wrong way round (i go off to right hand side of the right monitor with my mouse to come onto the left hand side of the left monitor) How to i get into the twin view thinggy?
    Switch the monitors around?

ReputationRep:
    i think i've found what the problem is - it the twin view thing. Right now it seems my pc seems to think it's running on a single monitor as one of the graphics cards is disabled. I'll try the bios thing.

ReputationRep:
    ok does anyone know how to get into the bios on a compaq 6520UK?? I can't work it out.

ReputationRep:
    ok does anyone know how to get into the bios on a compaq 6520UK?? I can't work it out.
    it should say when you turn it on. Is it not delete? or an F key?

ReputationRep:
    Someone, in response to seeing this page, told me that some Compaq machines have F12 as a BIOS setup key. If F10 brings you no joy, it's worth a try. Another person just recently suggested Ctrl + F10 for newer models.

ReputationRep:
    on a lighter note i have two gems things now thanks to lou p lou
    my pleasure, good thing i don't hold grudges

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baron)
    it should say when you turn it on. Is it not delete? or an F key?
    worked it out - it was f1. Cheers for your help everyone. I've got everything sorted out to find out that they don't make xp drivers for my old graphics card and probably will have to buy a new one.

*******s

ReputationRep:
    i've got 2 monitors working now with the help of people on this thread.

Thanks everybody!

Edit: tis really wierd moving ur head about though.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.